292 members have voted

1. 1. Stephen Glass: What do we do?

• Sack him immediately
    • If we lose to Dundee
    • Review at end of October
    • Give him the full season

12 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Not really, no.

It is concerning that we’re currently bottom 6 and we should be a lot higher, but we are where we are and it was always going to be transitional.

December clearly is an important month and it’ll be interesting to see where we are at the end of it

Ah, but where are we transitioning to - the direction of travel is, I'm sure you'll agree, not great... still we're fine and too good to go down and I can see what he's trying to do - and individual mistakes and oh so naughty referees and injuries and it just wasn't fair. 5 from bottom, 10 from 4th - not a good look for the Dons

3 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Don't agree with that. 

We just haven't got ourselves a very good one. 

With a proven manager you know what you are going to get... and Aberdeen aren't going to attract the best.

I suppose the issue with Glass was the little experience he had before us didn't go very well either

Far "bigger" clubs than Aberdeen have hired "rookie" managers.

• Real Madrid hired Zidane
  • Chelsea - Lampard
  • Rangers - Gerrard
  • Lazio - Inzaghi
  • Newcastle - Keagan
  • Arsenal - Arteta (albeit he was assistant for a couple of years)

Which is why I always despised the "Glass experiment" party line that was kicking about for months. 

10 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

• Chelsea - Lampard
  • Rangers - Gerrard
  • Lazio - Inzaghi
  • Newcastle - Keagan

Which is why I always despised the "Glass experiment" party line that was kicking about for months. 

They didn't hire anyone...

I'm not against appointing someone into their first proper management role. 

But they have to have clear core leadership skills and at least have an experienced team supporting them. 

I'm afraid our manager hasn't demonstrated either. He doesn't appear to be able to inspire (and doesn't come across as inspiring in any way whatsoever through his interviews) and he's got a team of inexperienced people supporting him. 

He just doesn't look cut out for a leadership role. 

If Cormack really wanted to bring him in he should have given him a job as an assistant to someone else first. 

12 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

• Chelsea - Lampard
  • Rangers - Gerrard
  • Lazio - Inzaghi
  • Newcastle - Keagan

Lampard managed Derby first and Newcastle were in  the lower divisions when Keegan took over however the point is well made - it doesn't matter how many teams you've managed if you're good enough you'll do well - - you could argue Glass is not a rookie - only a rookie to Scottish management - he just has a poor performance stat - given Dave's love of stats that must be one he overlooked.

It doesn't matter whether this is his first team or his 20th - it matters how the squad performs and sadly our doesn't nearly often enough.

The danger of rookie managers is you've no idea other than their interview skills on how well they'll do - if they have a track record then you do at least get a  feel for what they might bring so rookies are more of a gamble and sometimes that pays off and sometimes you need to fold and deal a new hand. Glass sadly (brings and) maintains a sub 30% win record - we need a new hand

11 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

We’re 9 behind 5th with a game in hand, hopefully we reduce that to 6 tonight.

Id rather Ross County beat St Mirren though with St Mirren getting a couple of players sent off 

Not having a go at you, but 

First people were referencing difference in points to 3rd, then 4th, now 5th. Targets are swiftly moving downwards. 

Not sure what relevance 5th has?  Is that the last available conference qualifying spot should one of the top two win the Scottish Cup?  

Bit desperate that we've had to now lower our sights to that after only 15 games. 

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

First people were referencing difference in points to 3rd, then 4th, now 5th. Targets are swiftly moving downwards. 

Not sure what relevance 5th has?  Is that the last available conference qualifying spot should one of the top two win the Scottish Cup?  

Bit desperate that we've had to now lower our sights to that after only 15 games. 

The relevance 5th has is that is the post I was replying to mentioned.

Simples, don't try to complicate it

18 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

Question: If Glass were to miraculously win the Scottish cup but finished 10th in the league, would you still want him replaced?

Not answering the question sorry, but fuck aye, I'd take ending up 10th and winning the Cup for sure right now.

100%

I'd have taken that any of the past 30 seasons.

49 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Not having a go either, but is your preference still that you wanted United (in 4th) to be a further point ahead of us than they are?

I'm actually with you on this one.

I think we can overhaul both United and Motherwell (provided we get shot of Glass prior to the January break) so to me it makes sense that the team with most points....United....makes no further ground against us. 

I think Hearts are already out of sight though. They'd have to suffer an injury list akin to that of the First World War for us to catch them now. And likely the same applies to Hibs IF they win their 2 matches in hand, although I haven't totally written off hopes of maybe catching them if we can go on a sustained run of good form (which we actually convert into wins)

Listening to various podcasts in the last week or so, from people that you would think would be in the know - we're going to be throwing money at this problem in January and the person throwing it will be Glass. So all he has to do is tough it out  throughout December and all will be ok.

The only person I think that can change that is Glass himself, depending on how ropey things get for him over the next few weeks. Looking at our run of away games, Perth on Dec 11th or Hibs on Dec 22nd might get very  nasty and enough for him to say "Im out". Or maybe the RedShed will politely let him know soon enough that he's not wanted

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No.  I'm just spread betting as there are so many teams in front of us to catch and overtake.  We can't just focus on one. 

Draws suit us at the moment provided we win. 

Surely we should be aiming as high as realistically achievable.

4th in the league should be the absolute minimum and would guarantee Europe

Somebody mentioned it was desperate to be setting the sights lower ;)

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

1 hour ago, muttonhumper said:

Not answering the question sorry, but fuck aye, I'd take ending up 10th and winning the Cup for sure right now.

100%

I'd have taken that any of the past 30 seasons.

Winning the cup also puts us into the Europa League.

From where we are right now, that would definitely be a successful season 

37 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I think Hearts are already out of sight though. They'd have to suffer an injury list akin to that of the First World War for us to catch them now. 

Hearts are not out of sight. John Souttar's ankle could go again or they sell him in January. Same with Kingsley. his contract is up at the end of the season.

Their two best defenders if they were to get injured / be sold, they'd be struggling defensively

39 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

And likely the same applies to Hibs IF they win their 2 matches in hand,

again, not so sure, they were on a run of 5 losses in a row and only just beat 10 man St Johnstone in the last 10 minutes.

Their form is not good and the odds would put them on being beat tonight as well.

Ok, their games in hand are Livi away and Dundee at home, but they're then squeezed into this month where they then afterwards have to play us, Utd and Celtic with also the League Cup Final to be played as well. A  lot of games to be squeezed in that will test their squad.

Not much tweaking needed for January to fix things by Glass.

Cancel All loan deals.

try sell Ferguson & Maybe Hedges. Use funds to replace them.

bring in some decent defenders & maybe a decent partner for Ramirez 

Oh & most importantly, fk off back to States & let a semi competent manager do all the above.

simple enough 

4 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Listening to various podcasts in the last week or so, from people that you would think would be in the know - we're going to be throwing money at this problem in January and the person throwing it will be Glass. So all he has to do is tough it out  throughout December and all will be ok.

The only person I think that can change that is Glass himself, depending on how ropey things get for him over the next few weeks. Looking at our run of away games, Perth on Dec 11th or Hibs on Dec 22nd might get very  nasty and enough for him to say "Im out". Or maybe the RedShed will politely let him know soon enough that he's not wanted

On a different note what podcasts about aberdeen fc are good to listen to 

10 hours ago, Torry Tosser said:

Board putting pressure on Cormack to out Glass.Must win tonight I believe.

If we lose tonight and lose on Saturday I think he'll be gone. But if he gets a couple of draws or sneaks a win in one of them he'll get until at least the end of the year. 2 defeats this week and it would be 2 wins, 3 draws and 13 defeats in the last 18 - and a lot of those defeats to crap teams we should be beating every day of the week. I can hardly bring myself to watch the game on RedTV tonight, so not sure how folk are still motivating themselves to actually go to the stadium especially when it's absolutely baltic and the entertainment factor is near zero.

Cormack basically forced Glass on the team against some concerns by some of board but he basically said it’s my way or nothing didn’t he? 
Rest of board are just as culpable now if they aren’t at very least still voicing their concerns about him still being here.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some other board members ‘leaving’ or stepping down from Cormacks dictatorship very soon.

Something has to give & a couple of wins v Livi/St Mirren shouldn’t be all it takes for things to be all rosey again.

6 points in next two games certainly isn’t enough to hide the stench at the club for me.