Niall McGinn Testimonial

4th July 2012 Niall McGinn signed for us, and left us to play 7 matches in South Korea in 2017.

Should Niall be given a testimonial for 10 years of service, or does the break in service of a few months rule him out?

For me it's a no brainer, he was a glimmer of hope in the darkest days in the pre-McInnes period and been a great servant for 8.5 of the last 9 years.  

1 hour ago, NEM said:

Testimonials are supposed to make up for the lack of signing on fee's players receive by showing loyalty to one club.  McGinn been a great servant but he made plenty coin when he f*cked off to Korea so it's a no from me

Also made plenty of coin with a very decent 3 year deal at the age of 31 or whatever it was when he returned. 

A scandalous bit of business by DMC. 

7 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Also made plenty of coin with a very decent 3 year deal at the age of 31 or whatever it was when he returned. 

A scandalous bit of business by DMC. 

I have seen far worse returns from 3 year deals to be honest. Forrester.... May.... Tansey. Think that contract worked out alright. A lot of goals, assists and performances in the first 2 and a half years since January 2018. Maybe didn't need the 3rd year but I doubt he would have signed on for 2. Would struggle to have signed someone else as effective for those 2... This years extension is proving very odd though

9 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I have seen far worse returns from 3 year deals to be honest. Forrester.... May.... Tansey. Think that contract worked out alright. A lot of goals, assists and performances in the first 2 and a half years since January 2018. Maybe didn't need the 3rd year but I doubt he would have signed on for 2. Would struggle to have signed someone else as effective for those 2... This years extension is proving very odd though

Not for the money he was allegedly on. He's probably scored about 15 goals in that 3 and a half years, and be surprised if he has 15 assists. 

8 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Not for the money he was allegedly on. He's probably scored about 15 goals in that 3 and a half years, and be surprised if he has 15 assists. 

Ok he should have scored 20 goals three seasons in a row. Complete disgrace.

I'm sure he was on very good money but I dont remember anyone complaining at the time. He earned it from his past performances and for 2 years he was still putting out performances regularly. His 3 year deal currently looks better than even the 3 year deal Hedges got.... which was also hardly a disaster either. But nearly 2 and a half years into his deal and we've seen about 6 months of the cunt.

Actually struggling to think of a better bit of business since January 2018. Lewis Ferguson would be... anything else?

6 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Ok he should have scored 20 goals three seasons in a row. Complete disgrace.

I'm sure he was on very good money but I dont remember anyone complaining at the time. He earned it from his past performances and for 2 years he was still putting out performances regularly. His 3 year deal currently looks better than even the 3 year deal Hedges got.... which was also hardly a disaster either. But nearly 2 and a half years into his deal and we've seen about 6 months of the cunt.

Actually struggling to think of a better bit of business since January 2018. Lewis Ferguson would be... anything else?

I certainly complained at the time, 3 year deal for a 30+ year old who was past his best, and it proved to be so. 

11 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I certainly complained at the time, 3 year deal for a 30+ year old who was past his best, and it proved to be so. 

Past his own best but was still offered more than Hedges, GMS, Stewart, McLennan and Wright during that contract.

If that deal didn't go to McGinn you have to wonder where it would have been spent instead! Who else has been given a 3 year deal in that time... McGeouch... Ojo... You knew roughly what you were getting. So it was relatively straight forward.

Anyway, I see your point as well young man. 

6 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Past his own best but was still offered more than Hedges, GMS, Stewart, McLennan and Wright during that contract.

If that deal didn't go to McGinn you have to wonder where it would have been spent instead! Who else has been given a 3 year deal in that time... McGeouch... Ojo... You knew roughly what you were getting. So it was relatively straight forward.

Anyway, I see your point as well young man. 

The fact that our other signings/players in similar positions weren't as prolific, doesn't mean shag all. 

Highlights the state of the recruitment process, which is still incredibly questionable at this point.

3 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

The fact that our other signings/players in similar positions weren't as prolific, doesn't mean shag all. 

Highlights the state of the recruitment process, which is still incredibly questionable at this point.

We were still competing at the top end of the table, qualifying for Europe, beat the huns and tims in their own ground, seem to remember McGinn getting a goal at Ibrox as we knocked them out the Scottish Cup. Recruitment couldn't have been that terrible - and McGinn was one of the better contracts.

"A scandalous bit of business by DMC."

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

We were still competing at the top end of the table, qualifying for Europe, beat the huns and tims in their own ground, seem to remember McGinn getting a goal at Ibrox as we knocked them out the Scottish Cup. Recruitment couldn't have been that terrible - and McGinn was one of the better contracts.

"A scandalous bit of business by DMC."

Agree to disagree. 

I don't think he will get a testimonial but if the club were to surprise me and authorise one I wouldn't say that it was undeserved. I doubt we will see many players in future reach his total years of service, even though the year's contract Glass awarded him was bizarre and totally unwarranted.

47 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

The last 3 years has been his testimonial .

This. He should never have been brought back. Sums up the laziness that infected the club during McInnes latter years here.

Great player for us over the course of his career though. We were lucky to have him for so long in his first spell.

1 hour ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Similarly, but more directly, kind of deserves it, understand those saying the Korea jaunt precludes him (plus the ridiculous extension) so overall, and probably most importantly re a testimonials effectiveness, I wouldn’t bother my arse to go anyway.

Be kind of ironic if, for HIS big game WE didn’t turn up.

Ouch ?

17 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

This. He should never have been brought back. Sums up the laziness that infected the club during McInnes latter years here.

Great player for us over the course of his career though. We were lucky to have him for so long in his first spell.

Think it was McMaster who summed it up best in an article where he called out our signing policy became re-signing players who had played for us before (leigh, taylor, McGinn, hayes etc.)

As others have said he was a cracking player first time round, why we ever went near him after Korea I'll never know, amazed he got given a new deal too

Overall, McGinn has probably been my favourite Dons player of the last 10 years - in his first spell he was genuinely exciting to watch and there was an expectation that something would happen every time he got on the ball. I don't blame him for trying the Korea thing for a different experience and to make a bit of money, and I can see why we brought him back - if he'd come back the same player as before he'd have been a great addition. Unfortunately he wasn't the same player, and although he did chip in with a few moments of magic from time to time, overall he wasn't great. Giving him an extra year was insane - everyone could see from last season that he was done.

Doesn't merit a testimonial, but does deserve a good send off when he finishes up at the end of the season. I'd imagine he'll retire from football at that point and concentrate on other things - he'd be too old for the next N.Ireland qualifying campaign as well, so doesn't even have that motivation to continue on.

48 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Overall, McGinn has probably been my favourite Dons player of the last 10 years - in his first spell he was genuinely exciting to watch and there was an expectation that something would happen every time he got on the ball. I don't blame him for trying the Korea thing for a different experience and to make a bit of money, and I can see why we brought him back - if he'd come back the same player as before he'd have been a great addition. Unfortunately he wasn't the same player, and although he did chip in with a few moments of magic from time to time, overall he wasn't great. Giving him an extra year was insane - everyone could see from last season that he was done.

Doesn't merit a testimonial, but does deserve a good send off when he finishes up at the end of the season. I'd imagine he'll retire from football at that point and concentrate on other things - he'd be too old for the next N.Ireland qualifying campaign as well, so doesn't even have that motivation to continue on.

Probably was a bit shocked that the first training session was “Red Light, Green Light”

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

Overall, McGinn has probably been my favourite Dons player of the last 10 years - in his first spell he was genuinely exciting to watch and there was an expectation that something would happen every time he got on the ball. I don't blame him for trying the Korea thing for a different experience and to make a bit of money, and I can see why we brought him back - if he'd come back the same player as before he'd have been a great addition. Unfortunately he wasn't the same player, and although he did chip in with a few moments of magic from time to time, overall he wasn't great. Giving him an extra year was insane - everyone could see from last season that he was done.

I think he might head home to Belfast and maybe play/coach for one of the sides there for a season or 2 with a view to managing in the future. (I'd confidently predict it won't be Linfield.....Cliftonville would probably be his club of choice but Glentoran or Crusaders would be possibilities too)