Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alex Ferguson

Niall McGinn Testimonial

Recommended Posts

I cant see the new manager extending McGinn's contract so he won't reach 10 years regardless of Korea

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I think he might head home to Belfast and maybe play/coach for one of the sides there for a season or 2 with a view to managing in the future. (I'd confidently predict it won't be Linfield.....Cliftonville would probably be his club of choice but Glentoran or Crusaders would be possibilities too)

I'm not sure - he doesn't really come across as a guy you could see as a manager or coach somehow. Does he not own a restaurant or bar or something - maybe he'll go down that route.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

I'm not sure - he doesn't really come across as a guy you could see as a manager or coach somehow. Does he not own a restaurant or bar or something - maybe he'll go down that route.

He began his UEFA coaching badges courses in 2018 and got his B licence earlier this year (Took a year longer than normal as the course was suspended for a while in 2020 due to covid). Now working towards his A licence. Would be a bit strange to do that without harbouring some ambitions to stay in football once he's retired

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

He began his UEFA coaching badges courses in 2018 and got his B licence earlier this year (Took a year longer than normal as the course was suspended for a while in 2020 due to covid). Now working towards his A licence. Would be a bit strange to do that without harbouring some ambitions to stay in football once he's retired

He's closer to getting his coaching qualifications than Henry is then. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

He began his UEFA coaching badges courses in 2018 and got his B licence earlier this year (Took a year longer than normal as the course was suspended for a while in 2020 due to covid). Now working towards his A licence. Would be a bit strange to do that without harbouring some ambitions to stay in football once he's retired

Ahh ok, didn't realise that - you're probably right then, coaching gig back in N.Ireland would make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He's closer to getting his coaching qualifications than Henry is then. 

Henry holds the ipad. You don't need coaching qualifications for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Don_Corleone said:

Henry holds the ipad. You don't need coaching qualifications for that.

So he does. 

Hope he's got a European computer driving licence *

 

 

*which would be one more driving licence than Russell's got. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

If McGinn gets a testimonial then Considine should justifiably be due a second one

Absolutely, he's on track for 20 years and so deserves a 2nd.  I'll be honest, I was surprised when he got his first one, but how many players will play for one club for 20 years ever again.

Can imagine the boogie bounce in the red shed that night.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Alex Ferguson said:

Can imagine the boogie bounce in the red shed that night

😂

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Alex Ferguson said:

Absolutely, he's on track for 20 years and so deserves a 2nd.  I'll be honest, I was surprised when he got his first one, but how many players will play for one club for 20 years ever again.

Can imagine the boogie bounce in the red shed that night.

Obviously the ‘legend’ status gets banded about far too easy nowadays but I don’t care what anyone thinks about Considine in regards this sentiment because, as far I’m concerned, ANY player that is a one club player & (if he manages it) plays for 20 years (even if just some token apps latterly to achieve it) is most certainly a club legend.

Of course he’s not up there with other club legends in terms of quality but to play for 20 years at one club in top flight in itself is astonishing 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Overall, McGinn has probably been my favourite Dons player of the last 10 years - in his first spell he was genuinely exciting to watch and there was an expectation that something would happen every time he got on the ball. I don't blame him for trying the Korea thing for a different experience and to make a bit of money, and I can see why we brought him back - if he'd come back the same player as before he'd have been a great addition. Unfortunately he wasn't the same player, and although he did chip in with a few moments of magic from time to time, overall he wasn't great. Giving him an extra year was insane - everyone could see from last season that he was done.

Doesn't merit a testimonial, but does deserve a good send off when he finishes up at the end of the season. I'd imagine he'll retire from football at that point and concentrate on other things - he'd be too old for the next N.Ireland qualifying campaign as well, so doesn't even have that motivation to continue on.

Great post .👍  Agree on all points. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Probably was a bit shocked that the first training session was “Red Light, Green Light”

 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/12/2021 at 11:03 AM, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

 

I'm sure he was on very good money but I dont remember anyone complaining at the time. 

You weren't paying attention then.  I said at the time that a 3.5 year contract for a 30 year old winger was ridiculous , and looked like McInnes sorting his pal out with a pension fund. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

You weren't paying attention then.  I said at the time that a 3.5 year contract for a 30 year old winger was ridiculous , and looked like McInnes sorting his pal out with a pension fund. 

Yeah, I heard they split the signing on fee between them £££

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

You weren't paying attention then.  I said at the time that a 3.5 year contract for a 30 year old winger was ridiculous , and looked like McInnes sorting his pal out with a pension fund. 

He delivered far more often than most players in that time so the deal was fine. Can't understand folk saying it was ridiculous when from Jan 2018 until lockdown just over 2 years later he was playing regularly and playing well. Easily one of the most successful deals since the 2017 Scottish Cup final.

Most folk on here just got rose tinted glasses about his first stint and thought he'd come back and be 10 out of 10 every week when that was absolutely never the case first time around. Only thing ridiculous was Glass giving him a 1 year extension 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...