What era would you choose to live in.

Redforever86

11 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Based upon what criteria? 

The problem is that it would mean someone inventing a character who was supposed to have existed in living memory. Then convincing lots of people of this in a short time, including named people who were said to have known him. 

Alternatively, a Jewish rabbi built up a following, and after he died a cult developed about him, and rapidly spread.

The latter seems more reasonable to me.

1 hour ago, Bad_Mobby said:

Nae sure if I’d have enjoyed Wooderz, but that era (on the yanks West Coast) defo would have been good for the debauchery and shagging (and music of course) 

Either coast of the US would have great to live in back then. There was just something about Woodstock (brilliant folk music and musicians, tranquillity, peace and harmony, and self-identity) all encompassed in a festival away from normality and bureaucracy that was so good.

2 hours ago, Roberto said:

The irony in that.

I posted shite long before you were here and I will long after you're gone.

Raging I am.

There’s absolutely no point in coming on here unless you’re going to post shite, it’s all a laugh, if folk don’t like it they can fuck off to mumsnet

7 hours ago, Ramandu said:

The problem is that it would mean someone inventing a character who was supposed to have existed in living memory. Then convincing lots of people of this in a short time, including named people who were said to have known him. 

Alternatively, a Jewish rabbi built up a following, and after he died a cult developed about him, and rapidly spread.

The latter seems more reasonable to me.

It wouldn't take much to gain a few followers around the Mediterranean at that time. You had multiple distinct cultures, and many distinct gods, including multiple polytheistic cults. What's one more god to a polytheist? How difficult to get a jewish community to worship the newest jew Messiah? And one they'd never seen in the flesh anyway, so how would they know if he was in fact real or not? 

You also don't need many followers to start a church. A dozen or so and you have a congregation, send them out to proselytise and increase the flock. How long does that take... not long I shouldn't think. 

Also, if you look at the location of the churches Paul was writing to, all major seaports within a couple weeks travel time at their furthest point, Rome, Corinth, Thessalonica, Ephesus, Philippi... it would take a couple of weeks to send out someone to proselytise,  and not much longer to find new members in order to establish congregations. It might even be a natural dispersal of christians fleeing Roman persecution and settling elsewhere, which wouldn't even require converting locals. 

Nothing about that seems like it's particularly time-consuming to establish various churches along well traveled sea lanes, and it certainly wouldn't matter to the timescale if jesus existed any more than if elephant head did. 

3 hours ago, Ke1t said:

It wouldn't take much to gain a few followers around the Mediterranean at that time. You had multiple distinct cultures, and many distinct gods, including multiple polytheistic cults. What's one more god to a polytheist? How difficult to get a jewish community to worship the newest jew Messiah? And one they'd never seen in the flesh anyway, so how would they know if he was in fact real or not? 

You also don't need many followers to start a church. A dozen or so and you have a congregation, send them out to proselytise and increase the flock. How long does that take... not long I shouldn't think. 

Also, if you look at the location of the churches Paul was writing to, all major seaports within a couple weeks travel time at their furthest point, Rome, Corinth, Thessalonica, Ephesus, Philippi... it would take a couple of weeks to send out someone to proselytise,  and not much longer to find new members in order to establish congregations. It might even be a natural dispersal of christians fleeing Roman persecution and settling elsewhere, which wouldn't even require converting locals. 

Nothing about that seems like it's particularly time-consuming to establish various churches along well traveled sea lanes, and it certainly wouldn't matter to the timescale if jesus existed any more than if elephant head did. 

Started as a Jewish sect, from Jerusalem, and those guys were pretty firmly monotheistic. Paul seems to know Peter and James. I'm less confident than you about the ease of getting followers - proselytising is hard.  Particularly getting ones who are prepared to die for the cause (e.g. Nero in 64AD). 

I thought that the question of whether there was a historical Jesus was more or less settled in the early 20th century. I don't come across people arguing it very often (unless they want to talk about Dan brown). Would point to Bart Erhman on this, who definitely isn't a Christian, and doesn't think Jesus was devine.

I'm on holiday as of now, and whilst I enjoy it I suspect we're boring everyone else- so the last word is yours.

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

Happy Mondays. 

Actually, a look at the top selling music of 1988 is fucking horrifying. 

Kylie Minogue was fairly popular, I notice. 

spacer.png

Nae many on there to get excited about.

The video for No.35 had my 14yr old loins stirring whenever it came on the telly tho, hoo mama.

1 hour ago, Ramandu said:

* Started as a Jewish sect, from Jerusalem, and those guys were pretty firmly monotheistic. Paul seems to know Peter and James. I'm less confident than you about the ease of getting followers - proselytising is hard. 

** Particularly getting ones who are prepared to die for the cause (e.g. Nero in 64AD). 

*** I thought that the question of whether there was a historical Jesus was more or less settled in the early 20th century. I don't come across people arguing it very often (unless they want to talk about Dan brown). Would point to Bart Erhman on this, who definitely isn't a Christian, and doesn't think Jesus was devine.

I'm on holiday as of now, and whilst I enjoy it I suspect we're boring everyone else- so the last word is yours.

* Lots of poor,, diseased, down on their luck people in major cities, even (particularly) back then. Promise them life everlasting in paradise (Caveat: You'll have to die first) and I should think they'd jump at the chance. 

** early christians loved a martyr, to the point there's even mention of christians more or less demanding they be sent to the arena for processing. Also, see *

*** In the absence of evidence, I don't think it can really be called settled. The 'most historians agree jesus was real' meme infuriates me, particularly when the 'historians' cited are in fact not historians but 'Biblical Scholars'. 

**** Appreciate the opportunity... I'll use it to say 'Fuck what other people think. If it bores you, stop reading it'.  ??