Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hibernian

3 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Watching most sides now that’s pretty much what happens with the front 3s - the left and right winger/inside forward drifts inside, the full backs overlap - meaning if the full back gets in behind and crosses he’s likely got 3-4 targets in the box plus the opposite full back high up if the cross goes too far. What this relies on is the CBs and centre midfielders having strong engines, good identification of danger and reading of the play, whilst also sticking to the plan.

Look at Liverpool, they have built a system on the full backs being the main assist machines at the club, in no way would they drop back those 2, but they have the likes of Milner and Henderson who will protect them, along with Van Dijk at the back - it allows for this strategy to work, and gives freedom to the front 3. Even then if Arnold and Robertson are way up, the likes of Firmino drops in sometimes at least to outside the box to stem any quick breaks - the whole team allows for the overlapping full back strategy.

To try and replicate that in 4 months with the players at our disposal is an extremely bold strategy (Klopp took 2 years to get it going and even then needs a magician like Salah from time to time!) so us doing similar was almost impossible! I admire the approach as we could easily just go back to the tried and tested which may get us the odd result and cup run, but never advance us anywhere near the top. The problem is he’s done it all too quickly and with players who can’t work in that sort of system. 

Totally agree with your analysis.

Our midfielders don't have the pace or the engine though which is one of the reasons it's not working. 

They spend half their time running back in a race with the opposition midfielders to see who gets to our box first. 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Need to try something different.

Try 3-4-1-2

That gets 3 central defenders across the pitch as opposed to two so might save getting hit with long diagonal balls, & also gets someone up front with Ramirez.

I’d play

Lewis

McCrorie Gallagher MacKenzie 

Ramsay Ferguson Brown Hayes

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins 

What I think Glass will do; 

Woods

Ramsay Gallagher McCrorie MacKenzie    
          Ferguson Brown Ojo

Hedges Ramirez Watkins 

0-2 

Just posted exactly the same thing in the Cormack thread pretty much, then came onto this one and noticed lots of others independently are favouring this formation and lineup. It seems like an obvious thing to try as it solves multiple recurring issues this season - but I get the impression Glass is not for changing. 

2 hours ago, starryfish said:

I can't believe he hasn't tried a back three already - when losing goals is it not common sense to play an extra defender?

Would go with the above lineup as well.

We did - in the  2nd half away vs Breidablik - we were getting overrun in the latter stages of  the first half the change shored it up and made us much better.

last time i remember making a  tactical change mid game and last time I remember a back 3

4 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Just posted exactly the same thing in the Cormack thread pretty much, then came onto this one and noticed lots of others independently are favouring this formation and lineup. It seems like an obvious thing to try as it solves multiple recurring issues this season - but I get the impression Glass is not for changing. 

The biggest thing out of all of our formations is that none of them matter if the players don’t follow instructions.

Now is our manager getting instructions across? Can the players see situations/dangers occurring by themselves? The goal we conceded to Celtic from the throw-in was nothing to do with formations or our full backs being too high, it was down to multiple players making individual decisions and errors within a 10 second spell. 

We could go 3 at the back but if they get too narrow or too wide then suddenly we are exposed again, if one goes forward, who fills in? Does Ramsay always stay high or does McCrorie shuffle across?

Base formations may work to an extent if you have ridiculous resources at your disposal (like Man Utd who still get results despite total tactical ineptitude) or at the lower levels where you don’t want players to do/think too much and keeping it simple is a good/safe mantra - for us to compete with the top sides it needs to be more than just a formation, it needs to be what a team does with and without the ball and how they manipulate situations to allow us to win games.

1 hour ago, Reed or deed said:

+1 A realist

Yep. We'll get caught out the same ways again - Boyle will love the space behind the fullbacks. Glass won't know how to (and won't) change it. We'll have 60 odd percent possession though. So good data. 

Big Dave will look silly after his rant.

4 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

1 game streak? Absolutely fucking no chance we are winning at Rangers. Can only hope it's 6 points from the Edinburgh cunts.

No one wants to see the Dons in the position they are in at the moment,  but that's where they are what does cormack think is going to happen, the present team is going to turn into winners overnight ?  Not going to happen with glass and the super troupers he signed, everyone except cormack can see this.  When it's rock bottom time and glass gets smuggled out of pittodrie in the boot of cormacks car heading for the airport, back to Atlanta. It will be too late.  

1 hour ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

I'm happy with that starting 11

I'm not

McCrorie isn't a central defender, whether part or a 2 or 3. The fact that he has outperformed both Gallagher and Bates up till now is more a reflection on how badly they have performed (although there were some signs on Saturday that Gallagher might be returning to some sort of form). And of course all 3 are right sided. McCrorie stays in for now (presuming he's recovered from whatever kept him out against Dundee) but I don't want him there as a permanent role. 

And MacKenzie isn't a midfielder, albeit "renamed" as a "wing-back". If he's going to play, it has to be as the left sided defender of the 3, probably in place of Bates. Ramsay does have the skills required to play there so no problem with him being utilised there. There's obv a space now on the left.......on balance Hayes gets the nod for me. But wouldn't be averse to seeing how Campbell could slot in there.

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

I'm not

McCrorie isn't a central defender, whether part or a 2 or 3. The fact that he has outperformed both Gallagher and Bates up till now is more a reflection on how badly they have performed (although there were some signs on Saturday that Gallagher might be returning to some sort of form). And of course all 3 are right sided. McCrorie stays in for now (presuming he's recovered from whatever kept him out against Dundee) but I don't want him there as a permanent role. 

And MacKenzie isn't a midfielder, albeit "renamed" as a "wing-back". If he's going to play, it has to be as the left sided defender of the 3, probably in place of Bates. Ramsay does have the skills required to play there so no problem with him being utilised there. There's obv a space now on the left.......on balance Hayes gets the nod for me. But wouldn't be averse to seeing how Campbell could slot in there.

Dean Campbell maybe lacks the pace to play wide?

The lad needs a loan move to get some games under his belt. 

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Dean Campbell maybe lacks the pace to play wide?

The lad needs a loan move to get some games under his belt. 

That was my concern about his pace but he can control a ball and make decent passes and crosses. Even Hayes has pretty much lost any pace he once possessed. MacKenzie isn't lightning fast but he's certainly quicker than either of those two. But when it comes to ball control, he struggles to do that, even on his supposed good left foot. And for me his distribution is nowhere near that required to play further up the park

5 minutes ago, Zeus said:

We get it TC - you dinna like MacKenzie ?

No not true.......I think he has the makings of a very good traditional left back. He might also be useful on the left of a 3 but we'd have to treat that as a bit of an experiment

I just don't want him in midfield

7 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

No not true.......I think he has the makings of a very good traditional left back. He might also be useful on the left of a 3 but we'd have to treat that as a bit of an experiment

I just don't want him in midfield

I agree with that.

He has had two or three assists to be fair, but going forward doesn’t seem to be a natural instinct for him, and as a “wing back” you have to be comfortable doing that. 

3 hours ago, starryfish said:

I can't believe he hasn't tried a back three already - when losing goals is it not common sense to play an extra defender?

Would go with the above lineup as well.

I also can’t believe he hasn’t at least tried this. 1 win in 10. 5 defeats in a row. It’s madness to keep using the same formation and expect a different result. Back 3 and let the 2 full backs bomb forward. It may work. It may not, but at least try it.

In for this one. 

Suspect he'll stick with 433.

Cant be arsed picking a team. 

9999 official attendance! 

1-2.  Ripped a new one by Boyle on the break. 

71% possession and complete bemusement by Cormack and Glass that we've lost the game. 

A brief flurry of boos at full time and folk complaining afterwards about 'abuse' 

COYR. 

6 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

A brief flurry of boos at full time and folk complaining afterwards about 'abuse' 

Folk moaning about this are the same grown men who got a hardon over our chairman telling some weegie hun cunts to fuck off on the radio when we've won fuck all in 10 games. Absolute deflection tactics from colgate and half of you have bought it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2