Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hibernian

4 minutes ago, Bamber said:

Back three please - even if Jack Mackenzie goes into the back line and Hayes is Left wing back. 

That or try some hugely expensive and experimental treatment to get Devlin and Considine back and playing and at least give us options

Has to be even though all 3 currently available centre halves are pish we need to cover for the full backs pushing on.

Lewis

McRorie Bates Gallagher

Ramsay     Brown         McGeouch          McKenzie

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins

3-0 the famous.  FH

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, NEM said:

Has to be even though all 3 currently available centre halves are pish we need to cover for the full backs pushing on.

Lewis

McRorie Bates Gallagher

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins

3-0 the famous.  FH

I'd go with that

• Like 1

Need to try something different.

Try 3-4-1-2

That gets 3 central defenders across the pitch as opposed to two so might save getting hit with long diagonal balls, & also gets someone up front with Ramirez.

I’d play

Lewis

McCrorie Gallagher MacKenzie 

Ramsay Ferguson Brown Hayes

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins 

What I think Glass will do; 

Woods

Ramsay Gallagher McCrorie MacKenzie    
          Ferguson Brown Ojo

Hedges Ramirez Watkins 

0-2 

We will batter the hibees with shots (off target) and possession, but will loose 2 nil.

Ron Gordon will then phone his best pal Cormack and say how that's the best Aberdeen team he has ever seen and is baffled how Aberdeen didn't win. 

This result will undoubtedly put us top of the possession table with our sights firmly set on automatic champions league qualification. It's all about stats, not goals. We just need to remember that.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, NEM said:

Lewis

McRorie Bates Gallagher

Hedges

Ramirez Watkins

3-0 the famous.  FH

I'm happy with that starting 11

Personally I’d go for the following:

Lewis

Ramsay Bates Gallagher McKenzie

McCrorie  Longstaff

Hedges           Ferguson   Samuels 

Watkins

McCrorie isn’t a centre back, but he is a decent CDM, if the two full backs want to go forward he can sit and make it a 3 or go wide as one of the 3.

Brown for me hasnt been having sufficient impact for a player of his stature and the legs are gone - need energy in the middle. Longstaff needs to show what he’s about, and this would release Ferguson to have impact further up the pitch.

Hedges and Samuels could float on different sides depending on how they are faring, both are much needed legs in the team that we are short of.

Dropping Ramirez considering his goals so far is a big choice but the team isn’t as good with him in it. His hold up and work rate just isn’t enough for what we need. I think Watkins can give more of a shift and produce goals.

I can understand the merits of the 3 at the back ideas above but it’s a tough system to coach and implement, McInnes tried it umpteen times and failed, I’d have no conviction that the manager or these players could change system smoothly (albeit I totally understand the necessity to!).

Lots of options but what will our manager do? For me if he keeps going with the likes of Hayes and Brown who will always give 100% but the legs can’t keep up with the mind anymore then it’s opening us up to failure, the same with trying McCrorie at CB, he just isn’t one, simple as that. 

2 hours ago, Bamber said:

Back three please - even if Jack Mackenzie goes into the back line and Hayes is Left wing back. 

That or try some hugely expensive and experimental treatment to get Devlin and Considine back and playing and at least give us options

Needs to switch to a back 3 if we are having ramsey bombing forward. Far too much space in behind and teams have been targeting it and scoring goals from it all season

3 minutes ago, beef_sister said:

Needs to switch to a back 3 if we are having ramsey bombing forward. Far too much space in behind and teams have been targeting it and scoring goals from it all season

Not necessarily. We don't need to have both full backs high up the pitch at the same time.  One goes, the other sits a bit deeper.  

Everything doesn't need to be symmetrical all the time.  

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Not necessarily. We don't need to have both full backs high up the pitch at the same time.  One goes, the other sits a bit deeper.  

Or the CDM shuffles to the right back position (or drops to CB and the 2 CBs split out wide), and/or the right sided/midfielder drops in a bit when Ramsay overlaps. Lots of simple ways to do it, hence why the top sides manage it in the major European leagues.

Just now, DoonTheLine said:

Or the CDM shuffles to the right back position, and/or the right sided/midfielder drops in a bit when Ramsay overlaps. Lots of simple ways to do it, hence why the top sides manage it in the major European leagues.

Exactly. Nae sure why we need to overload both wings at the same time.  

Would be better just trying to get the winger on the other side into the box so we've got more than one target there when the ball comes in from the overloaded side. 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah but we have seen throughout the season it doesn't happen,. The players used either don't have the discipline to do it, or are told to get high up the park by the management. I'm pretty sure it's the latter, 

10 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Exactly. Nae sure why we need to overload both wings at the same time.  

Would be better just trying to get the winger on the other side into the box so we've got more than one target there when the ball comes in from the overloaded side. 

Watching most sides now that’s pretty much what happens with the front 3s - the left and right winger/inside forward drifts inside, the full backs overlap - meaning if the full back gets in behind and crosses he’s likely got 3-4 targets in the box plus the opposite full back high up if the cross goes too far. What this relies on is the CBs and centre midfielders having strong engines, good identification of danger and reading of the play, whilst also sticking to the plan.

Look at Liverpool, they have built a system on the full backs being the main assist machines at the club, in no way would they drop back those 2, but they have the likes of Milner and Henderson who will protect them, along with Van Dijk at the back - it allows for this strategy to work, and gives freedom to the front 3. Even then if Arnold and Robertson are way up, the likes of Firmino drops in sometimes at least to outside the box to stem any quick breaks - the whole team allows for the overlapping full back strategy.

To try and replicate that in 4 months with the players at our disposal is an extremely bold strategy (Klopp took 2 years to get it going and even then needs a magician like Salah from time to time!) so us doing similar was almost impossible! I admire the approach as we could easily just go back to the tried and tested which may get us the odd result and cup run, but never advance us anywhere near the top. The problem is he’s done it all too quickly and with players who can’t work in that sort of system. The result is a complete bombscare and sadly we will revert to type very soon I think and more football akin to McInnes-ball.