Sevco 2 - 2 Aberdeen

32 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Whats also really impressive is its just not in the match day squad, its related to starting line-up's

I'm going to pressume we top this stat in Scotland, but what about the UK or the world?

Who's the next closest?

Campbell has played well, so I presume that he will start again on Saturday.

To be honest, its where we should be as a team anyway, developing and playing academy graduates

The article referenced Man Utd as having had an Academy player in every squad since 1938.  In the same article, Glass himself said he believed that it was only in recent years that Man Utd ended their "Academy player in first team line up" record.

So I would suspect we are now, or very close to being, the record holder in UK for such a stat.  No idea about the world though.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, OnceFaeMintlaw said:

The article referenced Man Utd as having had an Academy player in every squad since 1938.  In the same article, Glass himself said he believed that it was only in recent years that Man Utd ended their "Academy player in first team line up" record.

So I would suspect we are now, or very close to being, the record holder in UK for such a stat.  No idea about the world though.

I have done absolutely no research on this and may be wildly off the mark, but I would have thought someone like Boca Juniors, or River plate might hold that record.  Absolutely based on nothing but gut feel, but would seem plausible.

4 minutes ago, SheepieBaaBaa said:

I have done absolutely no research on this and may be wildly off the mark, but I would have thought someone like Boca Juniors, or River plate might hold that record.  Absolutely based on nothing but gut feel, but would seem plausible.

Maybe some of the Basque clubs as well as they had pretty stringent rules about eligibility for much of their existence 

18 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Maybe some of the Basque clubs as well as they had pretty stringent rules about eligibility for much of their existence 

Yeah, one would have thought they'd be in contention.

9 hours ago, Ramandu said:

This record explains why we persisted with Mackie for so long. Well, this and his reading skills.

Don't recall him ever playing at the Madjeski.

Could be wrong of course.

18 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Think it's since the early 1910's they've have a 'cantera' policy of only selecting Basque players, I'd probably guess that since at least then they'd have had at least one player from their academy start every match

1 hour ago, Granite95 said:

Think it's since the early 1910's they've have a 'cantera' policy of only selecting Basque players, I'd probably guess that since at least then they'd have had at least one player from their academy start every match

It can’t be “only” selecting basque players.

They have plenty of players that are non Basque.

But I agree they will have a strong youth academy set up

1 minute ago, afc1903mad said:

Bilbao only sign players born or trained in the basque region - granted they do go back generational so if a grandparent for example was from Basque country then that complies. 

Sociedad used to have the same policy but thats been scrapped now - John Aldridge and Dalian Atkinson definitely didnt have basque blood in them 

1 hour ago, Granite95 said:

Yes.  Some have removed this in recent years but most of the Basque clubs historically operated a Basque only policy. 

5 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/struggling-athletic-bilbao-staying-loyal-to-basque-only-policy-1.3754023 

Do they??

Note that "Basque" doesn't just mean Basque Spaniards......they do sign French Basques, notably Bixente Lizarazu

They also do have a bit of a similar policy that Scotland do regarding parentage.......they do sign youth players not born in the Basque country but who do have Basque parentage. They have never signed a senior player who isn't Basque born and bred though.

Their near neighbours Real Sociedad also operated a similar policy but abandoned it in 1989 when they signed John Aldridge

40 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Bilbao only sign players born or trained in the basque region - granted they do go back generational so if a grandparent for example was from Basque country then that complies. 

Sociedad used to have the same policy but thats been scrapped now - John Aldridge and Dalian Atkinson definitely didnt have basque blood in them 

31 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/struggling-athletic-bilbao-staying-loyal-to-basque-only-policy-1.3754023 

Do they??

Note that "Basque" doesn't just mean Basque Spaniards......they do sign French Basques, notably Bixente Lizarazu

They also do have a bit of a similar policy that Scotland do regarding parentage.......they do sign youth players not born in the Basque country but who do have Basque parentage. They have never signed a senior player who isn't Basque born and bred though.

Their near neighbours Real Sociedad also operated a similar policy but abandoned it in 1989 when they signed John Aldridge

Aye Fair enough, I was thinking of Catalan and Barcelona. My mistake

32 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Like Ryan jack? 

Jack was a decent player for us that was hugely under-rated by a lot of supporters.

His intelligence is questionable as to whether the short term gain he has had is worth it in the long run.

He could have been equally compensated elsewhere without the baggage of going to them 

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

Jack was a decent player for us that was hugely under-rated by a lot of supporters.

His intelligence is questionable as to whether the short term gain he has had is worth it in the long run.

He could have been equally compensated elsewhere without the baggage of going to them 

I was making the point in reply to poodles effort that he was a 'local loon' who was a fan of rangers/sevco...

nothing to do with his ability