January 2022 transfer window

33 minutes ago, super_al said:

I can see Mcginn going to Killie along with Campbell and Kennedy if Del gets the job. 

Nah McGinn is definitely finished at SPL level

I think he'll head back to one of the Irish leagues next season and play there (possibly combined with an assistant manager role) for a couple of seasons till he hangs up his boots. If pushed, I'd predict Cliftonville, but maybe Derry City given his past history there

56 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Not really sure what people are getting excited about. McGrath hasn't set the heather on fire this season, looks like he's inconsistent going by St Mirren fans input. 

Is a GK necessary unless Lewis doesn't want to be playing in Glass lead shambles backline. Has he indicated he's unhappy? Don't mind Clark but he's no upgrade on Lewis.

Looks like another dreadful Glass transfer window. Still no creativity or width no addition to help Ramirez, and more than likely the loss of our top two performers. 

Still early, maybe Dave is still deciding how much to allow his wee puppet to spend. 

What a state to get in over stuff that hasn't happened 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Has Ferguson set the heather on fire all season?

Did McLean (as another example) ever ‘set the heather on fire’ in first half of seasons for us? & did he for St Mirren prior to us signing him? 

Plenty examples of such.

If you were talking about the likes of Kennedy/Hendry at St Johnstone I would 100% agree with your stance but at least McGrath has some proven abilities from at least one season & generated plenty interest from suitors 

Ferguson is our most consistent performer and has been last season as well. 

Kenny McKean has always been technically superb - even in a poor St Mirren side he stood out comfortably prior to signing for us. The fact he's gone onto bigger and better things should also tell you his abilities. 

Wish McGrath every success if he does indeed want to come and pull on a red shirt. Hopefully finds a level of consistency akin to Ferguson or McLean before him.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

Ferguson is our most consistent performer and has been last season as well. 

Kenny McKean has always been technically superb - even in a poor St Mirren side he stood out comfortably prior to signing for us. The fact he's gone onto bigger and better things should also tell you his abilities. 

Wish McGrath every success if he does indeed want to come and pull on a red shirt. Hopefully finds a level of consistency akin to Ferguson or McLean before him.

Ferguson certainly is not our most consistent performer the last year. Went missing for long spells. 

10 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Has Ferguson set the heather on fire all season?

Did McLean (as another example) ever ‘set the heather on fire’ in first half of seasons for us? & did he for St Mirren prior to us signing him? 

Plenty examples of such.

If you were talking about the likes of Kennedy/Hendry at St Johnstone I would 100% agree with your stance but at least McGrath has some proven abilities from at least one season & generated plenty interest from suitors 

Ferguson is one of the best midfielders in Scotland!! Both cheeks of the old firm would love him in their team!!

Kenny McLean was also great for us during his time at the club.

McLean wasn't appreciated by a lot until he left. 

We'll miss Ferguson despite his recent form not being as good as his first two years here. 

Just like we missed McKenna and Shinnie and our other better players who left the club. 

That's why we can't afford many mistakes when it comes to recruitment this time around with Ferguson, Ramsay and Hedges looking likely to be off. 3 of our 4 highest contributors when it comes to goals/assists. 

6 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Yet he's scoring goals still and added Scotland caps to his CV. 

Our top, most consistent player comfortably.

I think some of our fans just don't take to him because of his family members and their Rangers leanings plus his request to leave.

Ferguson has been an excellent signing considering how young he is and he has more than contributed in a team that has had a lean couple of years.

He will be missed unless we replace him with similar quality.

• Upvote 4
20 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

I think some of our fans just don't take to him because of his family members and their Rangers leanings plus his request to leave.

Ferguson has been an excellent signing considering how young he is and he has more than contributed in a team that has had a lean couple of years.

He will be missed unless we replace him with similar quality.

Ferguson has scored some vitally important goals for the club in his time here. He hasn't quite been as good this year as his previous seasons but still scored some big goals. Add in the fact he has been in the Scotland squad we should be looking for a premium for him. I'd like to think us going after McGrath isn't to replace Ferguson because i don't think they are the same type of player. But whatever the fee for Lewis is we should be looking at reinvesting a portion of it to get a suitable replacement. I'd be wanting £5m plus add ons for him. 

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Ferguson has scored some vitally important goals for the club in his time here. He hasn't quite been as good this year as his previous seasons but still scored some big goals. Add in the fact he has been in the Scotland squad we should be looking for a premium for him. I'd like to think us going after McGrath isn't to replace Ferguson because i don't think they are the same type of player. But whatever the fee for Lewis is we should be looking at reinvesting a portion of it to get a suitable replacement. I'd be wanting £5m plus add ons for him. 

If McGrath isn’t a potential replacement for Ferguson, or Hedges….. then who is he replacement for? 

Or would  he augment the team? Give us something we don’t already have?

Just now, sooth_stander said:

If McGrath isn’t a potential replacement for Ferguson, or Hedges….. then who is he replacement for? 

Or would  he augment the team? Give us something we don’t already have?

McGrath would definitely replace Ferguson. 

Unless folk want us to continue playing 3 or 4 midfielders with almost identical attributes in the team. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

McLean wasn't appreciated by a lot until he left. 

We'll miss Ferguson despite his recent form not being as good as his first two years here. 

Just like we missed McKenna and Shinnie and our other better players who left the club. 

That's why we can't afford many mistakes when it comes to recruitment this time around with Ferguson, Ramsay and Hedges looking likely to be off. 3 of our 4 highest contributors when it comes to goals/assists. 

Absolutely - Ferguson is one of the better players we have which is why he's wanted elsewhere. I do think it is probably the right time to sell - it's just a pity that it looks like the other two will go during the same window, which leaves us 3 key players down.

The problem is these kind of players take a couple of years to grow into "key players" (Ramsay is an exception). Ferguson was in the team from day one but he's developed into a key player. McLean took a wee while to get going, but as you say by the time he left he was very much a key player. My worry is that whether we bring in a young replacement (a Ferguson type with promise) or even a more established player (like McLean was when he joined) - it will take them a while to really settle in. I know the counter-argument is that if they should be able to hit the ground running, but the reality is more often than not it does take players a bit of time for whatever reason. Even Hedges in his first season was pretty poor.

If we play the 4231 formation the 2 midfield slots can be more than adequately filled by Brown and McGeouch - the worry is Brown is getting on and McGeouch is so injury prone. The fall back options of Ojo and Campbell aren't good enough if we want to be competing at the top. I've never seen Ferguson as an advanced midfielder / no10 in that formation, so I don't think McGrath is the replacement for Ferguson - I think he'll slot in to the advanced role if he joins. A box to box midfielder with energy and ideally a bit of physical presence and pace is what we need to replace Ferguson - Ross McCrorie fits the bill, but I'd rather keep him in defence alongside Bates just now, as Gallagher is a liability and we've no other options there.

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

McGrath would definitely replace Ferguson. 

Unless folk want us to continue playing 3 or 4 midfielders with almost identical attributes in the team. 

I would hope its to replace Ferguson as he is nothing like the kind of player to replace Hedges from what I've seen. Some St Mirren fans claiming that McGrath is miles ahead of Ferguson ability wise. No idea if that's factual but hopefully they are correct but im dubious of such claim. 

15 hours ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Not a huge surprise though considering how shambolic our last few transfer windows have been

Hopefully its incorrect as its completely unacceptable if true. Absolutely desperate for attacking reinforcements. I just hope we aren't planning on sitting tight until players move on which could be nearer end of window. Recruitment needs to step it up this window to give us all some hope. If we can take in 8m plus for sale of Ferguson and Ramsay id be tempted to speculate to accumulate with the cash and not bank the majority of it for stadium. Responsibly obviously so add 3m to the playing budget for the next 3 seasons or whatever we raise through sales. That could get us 2/3 quality additions (if we can find any) on 3 year contracts. We need to push on and grab the carrot that is an extra 3-5m a season for European group stage football.  

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. Doesn't look like he can be arsed playing for us anyway. Be as well cut our losses. 

I would say so but who comes in to replace him? 

Just listened to a podcast with Graham Alexander. He said he knew last January that Gallagher  was coming here but a deal couldn’t be done to let the player move at that stage. So given McInnes knew he was done for then, clear that Gallagher was a Cormack signing, a bit like Ronnie. And Jon Gallagher to a degree.  

Cos, say what you want about Glass but Gallagher was never a Glass type player, even if Glass knew last Jan he himself was Aberdeen bound 

1 hour ago, El Pacino said:

Ferguson is one of the best midfielders in Scotland!! Both cheeks of the old firm would love him in their team!!

Kenny McLean was also great for us during his time at the club.

Strange then that neither of them have put in a bid for him...

If he was going out of contract in the summer then I could see them maybe taking a chance on him. He'd be a squad player right now at either side. But if he goes to an English Championship side and does well there....then they'll look at him seriously

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

Yet he's scoring goals still and added Scotland caps to his CV. 

Our top, most consistent player comfortably.

I said to many at the time, ironically when he got his first call up was during his poorest spell of form for Aberdeen despite deserving one probably at previous times. Way it goes with other players availability I suppose. Glad he did tho as extra value on his price. No doubt a talent, I just feel the last 12-18 months he chooses when he can and can’t be arsed therefore wouldn’t call him consistent. 2 years prior he was very consistently good.

20 minutes ago, ThomohawkKid said:

Supposedly “he really doesn’t get on with Glass” which Tbf isn’t a surprise from how things have gone so far.

More than just him I've heard. 

However as previously stated I'm not one of the lucky trusted circle "ITK" group who post on here. Only 2nd hand gossip that I can deal in.

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, slippers said:

I would hope its to replace Ferguson as he is nothing like the kind of player to replace Hedges from what I've seen. Some St Mirren fans claiming that McGrath is miles ahead of Ferguson ability wise. No idea if that's factual but hopefully they are correct but im dubious of such claim. 

St Mirren fans are deluded if they think McGrath is better than Ferguson. Although to be honest its like comparing apples and pears. 

44 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

I would say so but who comes in to replace him? 

Just listened to a podcast with Graham Alexander. He said he knew last January that Gallagher  was coming here but a deal couldn’t be done to let the player move at that stage. So given McInnes knew he was done for then, clear that Gallagher was a Cormack signing, a bit like Ronnie. And Jon Gallagher to a degree.  

Cos, say what you want about Glass but Gallagher was never a Glass type player, even if Glass knew last Jan he himself was Aberdeen bound 

Taylor had already indicated he was off and we knew Gallagher was available, almost certain it was with McInnes's blessing as we tried to get him in Jan.  The overall decision from Gallagher was made when McInnes was still our manager and Gallagher was wanting it kept quiet in case Motherwell dropped him as he wanted to have every chance of making the Scotland squad.

• Upvote 1