January 2022 transfer window

Good to hear we're starting a clear out of the crap.

I was amazed to read some of the comments about Samuels on the AFC facebook page - loads of folk saying the guy looked great and was highly rated but never got a chance. What on earth is wrong with these folk?! Anyone with 2 eyes could see the boy was utterly useless and didn't have a clue what he was doing on the pitch. 

Hopefully we can ditch Gurr back to the States, and get rid of Jenks as well. If we can offload Kennedy, McLennan and McGinn that would give us a bit of money to play with in terms of wages. Campbell might be worth putting out on loan for regular game time for a few months, but he's also handy for covering a few positions. I'd happily ditch Gallagher too but only if we bring in another defender for cover.

Of the players we're being linked with I'd be happy enough with Clark (although surprised to read he's actually 30 - he's always talked about as if he's a youngster!) and McGrath. Hoping we'll make a couple of surprise signings from overseas perhaps too.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Good to hear we're starting a clear out of the crap.

I was amazed to read some of the comments about Samuels on the AFC facebook page - loads of folk saying the guy looked great and was highly rated but never got a chance. What on earth is wrong with these folk?! Anyone with 2 eyes could see the boy was utterly useless and didn't have a clue what he was doing on the pitch. 

Hopefully we can ditch Gurr back to the States, and get rid of Jenks as well. If we can offload Kennedy, McLennan and McGinn that would give us a bit of money to play with in terms of wages. Campbell might be worth putting out on loan for regular game time for a few months, but he's also handy for covering a few positions. I'd happily ditch Gallagher too but only if we bring in another defender for cover.

Of the players we're being linked with I'd be happy enough with Clark (although surprised to read he's actually 30 - he's always talked about as if he's a youngster!) and McGrath. Hoping we'll make a couple of surprise signings from overseas perhaps too.

If we bring in McGrath and Clark (latter on a pre contract rather than this month) i still reckon we need 3 or 4 on top of that. We need another striker. Like to see another full back come in (preferably left sided to get Hayes away from there) and a proper attacking midfielder. 

1 hour ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

Given all those being punted, it makes Glass' comments in August about the new signings even more embarrassing. Something about lining up all the signings and people acknowledging how good they were.

In a Q&A he was very defensive of the signing of Jack Gurr,

He was asked why we’d signed Atlanta’s fourth choice right back.

His response was dismissive & saying that we’ll soon see what he can offer.

He was right… causing us an early exit to lower league opposition in the League Cup is pretty much all he offered

50 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

I think the whole chain of command, so to speak, needs clarifying. How does the overall structure work, when it comes to recruitment? Does Glass identify areas that need strengthened and pass on the requirements to Mowbray? And what influence does he then have on the subsequent selection of the player?

And does Cormack have a part to play in recruitment? Seems like he does. Why?

Fuck, even Fergie fucked up a few signings along the way (Andy Harrow springs to mind)  but on the whole, his hit rate was great, based on the old structure of the manager having 100% control over recruitment.

It’s clear to me that Glass is having new players foisted upon him, and he neither has the authority, the balls or ability to say no.

Not that that absolves him from any blame.

I will be sure to text this onto Andy, he's a personal friend of mine ??

Scored 1 goal for us in his career I think against the terrorist sympathisers at tattiedome. Some goal it was too ??

18 minutes ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

I will be sure to text this onto Andy, he's a personal friend of mine ??

Scored 1 goal for us in his career I think against the terrorist sympathisers at tattiedome. Some goal it was too ??

Aye, Andy was unfortunate to come up against such stiff competition in the striking department. In different times, he might have prevailed ?

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye probably. Giving him 2 years was pushing it a bit though

Oldham were in big trouble money wise and Woods was available cheap so McInnes took him on, he is ok as a back up but no where near good enough as a regular starter. 

Unless it’s Lewis wanting away, the Clark link seems pointless as Lewusbis better than Clark and would no doubt want decent money as t he e us on the brink of the Scotland set up 

3 minutes ago, PlasticFan said:

@HarryIngolfsson claiming Campbell set to go out on loan this month with Scottish and English clubs interested

Port Vale, Bolton and Forest Green mentioned.

It probably would be more interesting for him to go down south and get some different experience rather than sticking around here at a Dundee or somewhere playing against the same players and teams. Could be the making of the young man!

• Upvote 1

Bolton league one just above relegation places 

Forest Green flying high in league Two.  Well clear at the top. 

Port Vale in play off spots league two. 

Which would be best?  I'd say Bolton or Port Vale as you'd think Forest Green are doing so well they'd be hesitant to change their team?  A wee league one scrap at Bolton might be character building but a promotion tilt might be a confidence booster. 

14 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Sky reporting that Blackburn in talks to sign Hedges. Doesn't say whether it's talks for a pre-contract or to move now. 

Hopefully a move now, fuck this pre contract pish, any player signing a pre contract with another club would be playing in development team or emptying the bins at Cormack Park till he moves so a player who wants to be at afc can get a chance. 

2 hours ago, ullevi said:

Oldham were in big trouble money wise and Woods was available cheap so McInnes took him on, he is ok as a back up but no where near good enough as a regular starter. 

Unless it’s Lewis wanting away, the Clark link seems pointless as Lewusbis better than Clark and would no doubt want decent money as t he e us on the brink of the Scotland set up 

Purely subjective. Some of us think Clark is better than Lewis. The recent stats that another user posted on here yesterday backs our position up conclusively. Whilst Clark will certainly want a decent uplift on his current wages at St J, I still think he will prove to be far cheaper than Lewis.

Would Lewis make the current Scotland squad if he were qualified to play for us? I don't think so.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

Hopefully a move now, fuck this pre contract pish, any player signing a pre contract with another club would be playing in development team or emptying the bins at Cormack Park till he moves so a player who wants to be at afc can get a chance. 

The way that Blackburn are playing it's a surprise that they still want him.

Where is DCs natural/most favoured position ?  One of these players with bags of ability but his versatility may actually have a negative impact on his career as he is too often used as cover.  As been mentioned, a run of games in a settled position would do him good.  It would be a kick in the stanes  for the loon if we pap him out on loan then bring in a couple of loanees of the Samuel’s / Longstaff standard.. 

34 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Are Forest Green the club who are proud to be vegetarian? That'd be a no go for me.

Vegan, not just vegetarian. All the meals served to players in the club canteen are vegan, as are all the stuff sold in the fooud outlet in their ground.

The players can eat what they like outwith the club premises though.