January 2022 transfer window

Just had a look through all the winners since Joseph Lapira. Majority in fairness still playing pro, handful of them fully capped for USA. He definitely has a chance by the looks of things. I’ve been very critical about not looking further afield so going to give the club a bit of credit for casting the net on this 1. Hopefully at worst he has a bigger impact than Longstaff. Bar isn’t very high and we will be paying him a lot less. 

Jon Gallagher was drafted 14th with this guy probably being 1 of the first picks so I’d def try and keep expectations down. 

16 minutes ago, Kiriakov33 said:

It’s probably on a par with the top 6 in the Highland League or it certainly used to be.  
Whether he can make the step up to senior football is another matter.  Hopefully a diamond in the rough though. 

Aye, he can certainly spray it around and looks tidy, but against your St Johnstones and Motherwell's he will have some horse breathing down his neck and he might not be so expansive. Slightly concerning if we are looking in those areas to strengthen though, I think we need more proven players to get us up beside Hearts and, likely, Hibs who seem to be doing good business. 

I am not against this signing. If it was a run of the mill college player then yes but this guy looks like its possible hes a level about where hes playing the now and could have turned pro earlier. Yes of course its a risk and it could go wrong but thats where we are now the way football is these days. Look at the Sam Cosgrove signing which for all the slagging he now gets on here worked okay for the club. Got his share of goals and left at a substancial profit. The guy would need to step up in this instance but despite playing against a lower standard of player than he will face in the SPL does look like hes got a bit of quality so could be a good addition once he gets up to speed. If the club is ever to get back to where we want then will need to take some risk. Going out and buying the established players who will get us up there with Celtic and The Rangers is unfortunately somewhat unrealistic. Finished articles are outwith our budget so most players incoming will carry a degree of risk. I have a feeling this guy won't be another Jon Gallagher or Jack Gurr. Give him a chance if he comes - he certainly a imposing figure with a good touch on the ball and a good range of passing. Obviously its easy to make a highlights reel look good but the player still needs to have produced those moments and I don't think the other players mentioned previously from the USA (bar Ramirez) have shown much quality at any level.       

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, ClayholeRed said:

I am not against this signing. If it was a run of the mill college player then yes but this good looks like its possible hes a level about where hes playing the now and could have turned pro earlier. Yes of course its a risk and it could go wrong but thats where we are now the way football is these days. Look at the Sam Cosgrove signing which for all the slagging he now gets on here worked okay for the club. Got his share of goals and left at a substancial profit. The guy would need to step up in this instance but despite playing against a lower standard of player than he will face in the SPL does look like hes got a bit of quality so could be a good addition once he gets up to speed. If the club is ever to get back to where we want then will need to take some risk. Going out and buying the established players who will get us up there with Celtic and The Rangers is unfortunately somewhat unrealistic. Finished articles are outwith our budget so most players incoming will carry a degree of risk. I have a feeling this guy won't be another Jon Gallagher or Jack Gurr. Give him a chance if he comes - he certainly a imposing figure with a good touch on the ball and a good range of passing. Obviously its easy to make a highlights reel look good but the player still needs to have produced those moments and I don't think the other players mentioned previously from the USA (bar Ramirez) have shown much quality at any level.       

Cosgrove was better than okay for the club. Player we’ve signed for a small fee, got worth out on the pitch and sold for a significant fee (in our terms). Only other player brought in and sold like that in recent times I can think of is Jonny Hayes?

Cosgrove is a perfect example of what our model should be. Sign low, get our worth, punt at peak value.

36 minutes ago, Donscanada said:

A youngster with upside. Compared to older talent who play at a higher level of competition but will never be more than doss. Would prefer the hibs and our former strategy of buying up young talent from bottom 6 or lower leagues

This was a good strategy that served us well but when we signed hayes, shinnie, and McLean they were stand outs in their respective teams there is not many young players in our league I can think of that would come in and make us better like they did. 

It’s good to see this young lad get written of before he’s even signed, even if he does sign id expect him to need a few months to settle and it would probably be next season we would see the best of him 

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:
He's come over from his college class
And now he's gonna help us kick some old firm ass
He can pass, tackle, shoot, and even run with the ball
Don't think we've ever had a player so tall...

Born in the U.S.A.
He was born in the U.S.A.
He was born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A.

Obligatory response that there's no such thing.