January 2022 transfer window

Lot of moaning on here.

If we weren’t looking in the usual markets (where we are desirable to players) it would likely be second or third tier in France or Germany or Holland. Same but different. Even the likes of say Poland or Ukraine, teams with much more financial clout than us are scouting the best to good proven players. 

Approaching the best of the rest from our league is best strategy imo or if their move from our league doesn’t work out I.e McGrath just now- Hayes,Rooney,McGinn,Shinnie McLean  from past, Bates, Gallacher and Mcrorie more recently.

Only so many available from that so it’s gambles down south or further a field out with. Gambles cos the proven players usually have better offers than us financially.

Surely we can see that? 

11 hours ago, minijc said:

Anything under 28 fits the new process, well it should, we bought older experienced players in the summer, you'd be pishing yourself if we signed a 30 something from league 1.

The new process - who the feck do you think you are? You're a diddy fan like the rest of us - wind your neck in and stop pretending you're some sort if AFC Hat oracle.

?????????

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
11 hours ago, minijc said:

Are you thick?  Fans not giving the new ideas a chance to be implemented, moaning, booing at games and so on, of course that makes it harder.  I still remember you claiming Woods was better with the ball that Lewis then he proceeded to fuck up massively, so based off of that, it's pointless arguing with you.

New ideas??? 

Oh please do enlighten us?? All I see is clueless football with absolutely zero creativity. I see a manager who took over ten games to realise that leaving your two centre halfs exposed with ridiculously high pressing full  backs doesn't work. A simple diagonal ball cut the defence wide open every time.

Shambles of a club at present. 

12 hours ago, minijc said:

Are you thick?  Fans not giving the new ideas a chance to be implemented, moaning, booing at games and so on, of course that makes it harder.  I still remember you claiming Woods was better with the ball that Lewis then he proceeded to fuck up massively, so based off of that, it's pointless arguing with you.

The majority of fans at the games are still very much behind Glass.

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

The new process - who the feck do you think you are? You're a diddy fan like the rest of us - wind your neck in and stop pretending you're some sort if AFC Hat oracle.

?????????

The new process is fairly easy to understand as a few other clubs have already implemented it, so it's common knowledge that the majority of signings over time will be 28 or lower with a huge emphasis on blooding in youngsters who are in the youth system.

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

New ideas??? 

Oh please do enlighten us?? All I see is clueless football with absolutely zero creativity. I see a manager who took over ten games to realise that leaving your two centre halfs exposed with ridiculously high pressing full  backs doesn't work. A simple diagonal ball cut the defence wide open every time.

Shambles of a club at present. 

Zero creativity, that's a good one considering we've created more chances this season than we managed to this point last year.

32 minutes ago, NEM said:

The majority of fans at the games are still very much behind Glass.

I'm more on about the #DeekerDons that jump on absolutely everything the club puts up online.

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

This is not a new transfer policy. 

The vast majority of players signed on permanent contracts by the previous regime were under 28.

It was very rare to bring in older players than that. Mainly only the returnees like McGinn and Hayes would fall into this bracket. 

Yeah he just signed a lot of lads that had suffered brutal injuries.

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

Yeah he just signed a lot of lads that had suffered brutal injuries.

He did. But Glass has given a new contract to Devlin and looks like he may be about to give him another one. 

There's no evidence of a "new" transfer policy so far - it's pretty much following the same pattern as the previous regime. That isn't even the issue for me though - the issue is that his signings don't seem to particularly fit with his preferred formation and style of play. We keep hearing about this "new" philosophy / style on the park, and this "new" prawcess off the park - but I'm struggling to see much that's new in either area.

I'm guessing his preference is a 4231 (basically the same formation as McInnes used) but to push the full backs high up, with the two wider players in the 3 coming inside. We play the ball on the floor a bit more. It's not exactly revolutionary stuff, and we don't really have the players to make it work all that effectively at the moment - at least half of the players he's signed or re-signed don't fit into the system or style he claims he wants to play.

To summarise - he's been here almost a year and I'm still unsure what the great masterplan is on or off the park - and based on the vague idea I have of what I THINK it is, I see no evidence of progress towards it.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

He did. But Glass has given a new contract to Devlin and looks like he may be about to give him another one. 

There's no evidence of a "new" transfer policy so far - it's pretty much following the same pattern as the previous regime. That isn't even the issue for me though - the issue is that his signings don't seem to particularly fit with his preferred formation and style of play. We keep hearing about this "new" philosophy / style on the park, and this "new" prawcess off the park - but I'm struggling to see much that's new in either area.

I'm guessing his preference is a 4231 (basically the same formation as McInnes used) but to push the full backs high up, with the two wider players in the 3 coming inside. We play the ball on the floor a bit more. It's not exactly revolutionary stuff, and we don't really have the players to make it work all that effectively at the moment - at least half of the players he's signed or re-signed don't fit into the system or style he claims he wants to play.

To summarise - he's been here almost a year and I'm still unsure what the great masterplan is on or off the park - and based on the vague idea I have of what I THINK it is, I see no evidence of progress towards it.

All his process has done is expose the centre halfs. 

3 hours ago, ThomohawkKid said:

Lot of moaning on here.

If we weren’t looking in the usual markets (where we are desirable to players) it would likely be second or third tier in France or Germany or Holland. Same but different. Even the likes of say Poland or Ukraine, teams with much more financial clout than us are scouting the best to good proven players. 

Approaching the best of the rest from our league is best strategy imo or if their move from our league doesn’t work out I.e McGrath just now- Hayes,Rooney,McGinn,Shinnie McLean  from past, Bates, Gallacher and Mcrorie more recently.

Only so many available from that so it’s gambles down south or further a field out with. Gambles cos the proven players usually have better offers than us financially.

Surely we can see that? 

You can't fill a whole team with gambles from down south or further afield.

Cormack/Glass/Gunn/Mowbray need to concentrate on getting a solid spine of the team sorted with players who either know the league or who clearly have enough quality to come in and make an immediate impact. 

By all means take the odd punt on a guy like Poldarva if it looks like they may come good, but filling half the squad with wasters like Gurr, Samuels, JET etc isn't going to get us anywhere.

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

Transfers are a gamble, we could spend big money on a player who turns out to be total wank.

I think the squad is improving but we're all frustrated when the likes of Hibs are doing plenty of business.

There's obviously financial constraints here so Mowbray really needs to do his job or just fuck off

I wouldn't be getting too excited if I was a Hibs fan looking at their business so far this window.

5 hours ago, Zeus said:

^Fit?!? Random. 

Also Niall McGinn hasn't beaten a man in years 

Exactly the point I was trying to make but probably didn’t do it well. 
There is generally two types of wingers 25 year old Jonny hayes and Niall McGinn who beat men for fun and put crosses in or 34 year old Niall McGinn who can’t beat a man so slows games down and turns back. From what I seen of this guy im not sure he beat a man once so would probably fall into the later bracket. 

4 hours ago, Bobbyskitter said:

James Wilson, so I guess we should write the premier league off as being full of dross as well. 

completely forgot we signed him from man United he was that average ?

4 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Hate is a very strong emotion. 

I certainly dislike how far the team has regressed under his "leadership".

Not really - we were dung when he took over.  Have you forgotten the long run without a goal under McInnes?  You could argue we've not improved as much as we'd hoped/should have but it's utter shite to claim we've regressed.

• Upvote 4