January 2022 transfer window

49 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I don’t think I ever claimed he could be among the top player’s for English clubs. ?

In actual fact I think I said he could be in a side that yo-yo’s between bottom EPL & Championship. Just as most of the Welsh squad could.

Its easy to argue against my opinion by exaggerating it to imply I classed him as far better than I actually did 

Aye , fair enough ...point taken.

I’ll downgrade the standard to , say, regular starter for an EPL club. Is that more in line with your opinion of Hedges ?... lower than that ?....bit part player? ..... even that would be over-stating his ability in my view.

And you’re implying that Hedges is part of the Wales squad,  I could be wrong , but I think he’s hardly been in the squad during his time with us. He certainly wasn’t in the squad for the Euro finals.

1 hour ago, redone said:

Aye , fair enough ...point taken.

I’ll downgrade the standard to , say, regular starter for an EPL club. Is that more in line with your opinion of Hedges ?... lower than that ?....bit part player? ..... even that would be over-stating his ability in my view.

And you’re implying that Hedges is part of the Wales squad,  I could be wrong , but I think he’s hardly been in the squad during his time with us. He certainly wasn’t in the squad for the Euro finals.

He was very much on the brink of their squad for euros had he not only just returned from injury.

I also haven’t claimed he would be either a regular starter or less in said ‘yo-yo type clubs’ but I will say that I believe he could very likely be a squad player for one & get ample mins to be classed as ‘able’ to be in said teams squads. 

All boils down to a general delusion by most that think all EPL sides & all their players are of highest quality & even stretching as far as to include ‘top’ championship sides as same, which (IMO) is vastly exaggerated based mostly on financial advantages 

You mention Mclean as an example but (as with the bitterness towards Hedges) McLean & Shinnie/McKenna etc. Were all also slated/tagged (by many) as ‘not good enough’ for the type of yo-yo clubs we are now ‘correctly’ discussing. 

Similar was said of Dykes for example & even the likes of John McGinn who was often claimed to have been in Shinnies back pocket when they played in Scotland.

All about perspective really & mine is that the lower EPL/top of championship really isn’t even close to the exaggerated quality many stubbornly (or possibly ignorantly of being truthful) believe 

Also worth mentioning how quite a few so called ‘quality’ players from down there have been signed by arse cheeks & been absolutely/blatantly bang average at best in Scotland 

Joey Barton for one example of said shite 

Much as I hate to say it but both Hedges & Wright probably played their best football together & they brought out the best in each other & suited each other’s play. Hedges hasn’t had that since Wright left & whilst I am not saying Wright is great or better than Hedges, I will say they complimented each other’s style of play.

Hedges could find himself with better players than Wright in one of those yo-yo sides to complement his play as far as to say he wouldn’t look out of place or out of his depth 

it is also worth pointing out that a good few of the current  very lower end of the championship consists of teams that have been or are still classed as said yo-yo clubs between top of championship & lower EPL ?

This wouldn’t even be in discussion if it wasn’t for the fact that Blackburn have shown repeated interest in signing Hedges. I am not saying their assessment of him is correct or wrong but I am clearly not the only one that believes he would be capable of slipping into their squad plans in some way.

Similar arguments were had with rgds Ryan (spit) Jack when Napoli & Everton were reportedly interested in him & I was of the opinion that he wasn’t good enough for clubs of that ‘stature’ so I was arguing the other way on that point. All about perspective in reality. 

On 1/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Disappointing that fuck all incomings of any substance has happened before we restart.

We could’ve done with a player or two to improve the starting X1 before the game against the scum.

And apparently Ryan Broom not starting for Plymouth again. Fuck that if he’s supposedly lined up as Ryan Hedges replacement. 

Came on, made a very well timed run into the box which indirectly led to Plymouth's 2nd goal.  Aside from that produced very little of note, seemed a little lightweight.

That said, 25 mins or so, and on the telly, is completely inadequate in terms of getting a picture of a player, so possibly a touch unfair on my part, but my first impression wasn't great.

Big D probs won't play much for the first month at least, so, we're already back from the break without a solid and immediate first team signing for a side that has objectively struggled this season. 

Not in pant pissing territory, but it ain't great. 

Open to whoever we sign, as I don't extensively scout them. 

Just hope they sign in the right areas as well. 

8 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

John McGinn who was often claimed to have been in Shinnies back pocket when they played in Scotland.

He was! 

Think we'll all agree now that McGinn is far better than any of the midfielders we had. But the only time Hibs really got the better of us was a game in February 2018 when Shinnie was suspended. Big G had his number!

7 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Much as I hate to say it but both Hedges & Wright probably played their best football together & they brought out the best in each other & suited each other’s play

Doesnt that just sum up the problem then? They probably only played together for about 3 months. Wright was injured all the season before, got injured for a while in the first half of last season then left in January. 3 months great form in a 3 year contract isn't worth big money to renew.... not that you are saying it is

3 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

He was! 

Think we'll all agree now that McGinn is far better than any of the midfielders we had. But the only time Hibs really got the better of us was a game in February 2018 when Shinnie was suspended. Big G had his number!

We won’t all agree to that ??

32 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Embarrassing coming out and saying you want your business done before the huns game and only signing a lad who most likely wont even be in the squad tomorrow. Fuds. 

Club need to think about what they are saying to press. It just creates uneeded pressure and expectations. Did it in summer and done it again. It feels like we will be fighting for scraps at end of window but hopefully the club prove me wrong. 

This transfer window is fast becoming a total fkn shambles.
I'm not normally a pant pisher but by fcuk my bladder is getting weaker by the day.

But never fear all will be good when we hand Mikey Devlin a new deal and announce it's like having a new signing. That and bringing Matty Kennedy back into the fold. WTF is there not to like about that ffs ?

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, slippers said:

Club need to think about what they are saying to press. It just creates uneeded pressure and expectations. Did it in summer and done it again. It feels like we will be fighting for scraps at end of window but hopefully the club prove me wrong. 

What were the actual quotes ? Was it something fairly bland and non-committal along the lines of “Ideally, we’d like to have our business done as early as possible in the window and preferably before end of the winter break” ?

Or was it something mor3 definite , like “We will have done our transfer business before the end of the winter break?”

2 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/aberdeen-pull-plug-on-jamie-mcgrath-move-as-st-mirren-ace-considers-other-options-3529668

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Zander Clark were to turn us down in favour of a move south. Fully anticipate that to happen next.

We're just not getting these guys from other Scottish Premier teams like we were a few years ago.  They are making the moves directly down south more and more often.  We need to start picking them up younger rather than waiting until they are fully established.

• Upvote 2

Saying "we're going to get our business done early" is just stupid.  It's impossible to dictate how quickly we'll get targets in, if at all due to, as we're all aware from the previous god knows how many transfer windows, factors outside of our control.  Other clubs might stall selling until they have sold other players, the selling club might decide they want more money / want cash upfront rather than over X time, the player himself might decide to wait and see what offers he gets etc etc. 

Like saying "I'm planning on buying this specific house by end of February".  There's a ton of things that can and probably WILL make the sale take longer than it should, if it happens at all.

Then again maybe our business in this window is indeed all  complete, ship out the shite that was brought in in the summer and bring in a college graduate from the Yankee Highland League, all our business done before the huns game as Cormack :blahblah1: said it would be.

So maybe we are all getting over excited about nowt, as our leaders are as good as their word all our dealing is done and finished before the unwashed huns come to town.

56 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We're just not getting these guys from other Scottish Premier teams like we were a few years ago.  They are making the moves directly down south more and more often.  We need to start picking them up younger rather than waiting until they are fully established.

Players like McGrath who's been in the SPL for 2-3 seasons and Clark who has been in it for about 10 seasons are probably bored out their brains playing against the same teams about 5 times a season. It's understandable they want to explore something new, and get paid more for doing it. 

The selling point for us previously was that we were challenging at the top of the league and regularly getting to cup semis and finals and guaranteed Europe every season. We havent got any of those selling points at this precise moment. We're very much just on a par with the likes of Hearts and Hibs now and not much ahead of the likes of Motherwell and Dunee Utd when it comes to appeal.

Genuine question here - if we take off the red tinted spectacles and put ourselves in the players' shoes, what are the selling points for joining Aberdeen Football Club right now? 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Reed or deed said:

Fucked if i would sign for us and i’m a fan. 

Tinpot dire club min ?‍♂️

Previously we had a bit of appeal - consistently 2nd or 3rd, semi finals and finals, European games each year, and as a result of those things an opportunity to build your profile and earn another move. 

One of the funniest things that kept getting mentioned in the summer (by Glass and Cormack I think) was that having Scott Brown here would attract players who wanted to play alongside him. Oh and our internationally-renowned strikers' coach was going to be an attraction too.

I wonder if players are also maybe looking at the situations with Ferguson and Hedges (and even with McKenna previously) and how we're holding on to them longer than they want to be here, and they're thinking that this isn't a good "springboard" club anymore.

Also I don't really see Glass being able to do much of a job at selling the Aberdeen dream to a prospective - he's pretty uninspiring, and has no reputation as a coach to help entice them.

3 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Previously we had a bit of appeal - consistently 2nd or 3rd, semi finals and finals, European games each year, and as a result of those things an opportunity to build your profile and earn another move. 

I wonder if players are also maybe looking at the situations with Ferguson and Hedges (and even with McKenna previously) and how we're holding on to them longer than they want to be here, and they're thinking that this isn't a good "springboard" club anymore.

Also I don't really see Glass being able to do much of a job at selling the Aberdeen dream to a prospective - he's pretty uninspiring, and has no reputation as a coach to help entice them.

Aye, all of the above.

Cormack doesn't help either imo.