January 2022 transfer window

10 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’m old enough for that too.
But we were spending at least as much on players back then as the bigot brothers.

I think I’m right in saying Peter Weir was a record signing in Scotland at the time? 

It all changed when the cripple & Souness arrived at the Bastard Garden.

We made a “statement” of the wrong kind by appointing a dud as coach/manager, who inherited a poor McInnes squad & made an arse of improving it despite being allowed to bring in 11 players.

I noticed too that Glass has changed his rhetoric around the January window. 
It’s gone from “we’ll come out of it stronger” to “if nothing happens we’ll attack the 2nd half of the season with a good squad”.

According to reports Glass is basically saying Mcgrath bottled move to us as we are too big a club for him expectations etc etc....

He also says there are "irons in the fire" 

Possible some 2nd choices at Exeter or Bray Wanderers getting tapped up.

9 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

But we were spending at least as much on players back then as the bigot brothers.

I think I’m right in saying Peter Weir was a record signing in Scotland at the time? 

We made a “statement” of the wrong kind by appointing a dud as coach/manager, who inherited a poor McInnes squad & made an arse of improving it despite being allowed to bring in 11 players.

It’s gone from “we’ll come out of it stronger” to “if nothing happens we’ll attack the 2nd half of the season with a good squad”.

Glass has no choice. Cormack isn’t backing him during this transfer window so he is stuck with what he has unless he sells or moves others on. I am starting to feel a bit sympathy with Stephen. He was given the impression he would be strongly backed but the reality is he was sold another line by Davie Cormack. Good luck to Glass and his team for the second half of the season, he will certainly need it.

15 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We were for a very short amount of time the undisputed highest wage paying club in Scotland. And yes Weir was the record Scottish fee at that point....£330k

But the oldco revolution wasn't started under Sir Nolegs. Lawrence Marlborough owned them in '86 and appointed David Holmes to oversee things. They started splashing out on Woods, Butcher et al but were aided in this because post-Heysel English clubs were under a European ban

Murray didn't buy them until very late 1988. Having been turned down by Ayr United to buy them a few months earlier......despite apparently promising them amongst other things that he'd build them a brand new stadium

53 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

I suppose it depends on whether you have a memory span that's a bit longer than a goldfish. 

I don't think players care much about what we were doing 3 or 4 seasons ago or 30 years ago - they'll base their decision on what we're offering them right now, which as far as I can tell is very little. 

Just now, RED_JOHN said:

Yes, I agree with you both. We aren’t a big appeal anymore. I honestly thought Cormack would have brought more to the table and made us a far more interesting club. He comes across as if he is a bit bored now.

I think the reality of it all has kicked in for Cormack now and he's realising it's not as easy as just turning up with his shiny teeth and folders full of Americanised ideas to transform us into a major force again and give the fans the time of their life when they come to Pittodrie. We're definitely seeing and hearing a lot less of him now.

Don't get me wrong, I think some of his ideas have been quite good and refreshing BUT at the bottom line is what happens on the pitch, and it's been honking. That's down to the manager he brought in, and the garbage players and tactics he's employed.

13 minutes ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

According to reports Glass is basically saying Mcgrath bottled move to us as we are too big a club for him expectations etc etc....

He also says there are "irons in the fire" 

Possible some 2nd choices at Exeter or Bray Wanderers getting tapped up.

The whole McGrath thing and criticism of either the club or the player confuses me.

We make an offer for as much as we can afford. 
The player is attracting the interest of a club (Birmingham) who can easily double what we offer).

The player says he wants to see if that comes to fruition. Fair enough, why wouldn’t he?

And we have decided to move on.

No big deal 

I’m not sure there’s any need for Glass to suggest McGrath hasn’t got the cahoneys to play at Aberdeen. He’s a regular for ROI & has played against Portugal among others.

Glass is grand standing where there’s no need.

Billy bigbaws will thrill us all with a Plymouth substitute. 

7 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

I think the reality of it all has kicked in for Cormack now and he's realising it's not as easy as just turning up with his shiny teeth and folders full of Americanised ideas to transform us into a major force again and give the fans the time of their life when they come to Pittodrie. We're definitely seeing and hearing a lot less of him now.

Don't get me wrong, I think some of his ideas have been quite good and refreshing BUT at the bottom line is what happens on the pitch, and it's been honking. That's down to the manager he brought in, and the garbage players and tactics he's employed.

The two major factors holding us back.

1) The manager/coach

2) Shite recruitment

It won’t get better until Glass is gone. He’s out his depth as a coach. 
Until Cormack accepts this it’ll be scrabbling about trying to make the top 6 & wasting the 3rd biggest budget in the league. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, StevieT1986 said:

Isn’t our wages to turnover really high????

We need to offload a fair bit of dead wood in our bloated squad before getting players in.

Yes & yes

The 2nd bit isn’t easy.

Who would want the likes of Devlin (apart from Glass FFS), McGinn, JET, Kennedy, McLennan. The last three are contracted until June 2023 FFS. 
Bit of a shambles.

He inherited an unbalanced squad & arguably made it even more so

The rhetoric coming from Glass has now changed. Our transfer strategy is out of control and he’s struggling to try and appear like there’s a plan, but the use of the word “fix”, multiple times, means he thinks things are broken. I also find it interesting he said “If I see bits and pieces in training I need to handle I will”. That statement is absolutely aimed at certain want-away players, and he put it in the public domain to make sure the player knows they can’t down tools.

Normally, no one would expect much from a January transfer window due to the quality of player generally not being available. However, the previous summer window was such a debacle that Glass seriously needed to improve the squad.

2 minutes ago, 1983 said:

The rhetoric coming from Glass has now changed. Our transfer strategy is out of control and he’s struggling to try and appear like there’s a plan, but the use of the word “fix”, multiple times, means he thinks things are broken. I also find it interesting he said “If I see bits and pieces in training I need to handle I will”. That statement is absolutely aimed at certain want-away players, and he put it in the public domain to make sure the player knows they can’t down tools.

Normally, no one would expect much from a January transfer window due to the quality of player generally not being available. However, the previous summer window was such a debacle that Glass seriously needed to improve the squad.

I can see a last minute scramble for loan signings same as last January to tide us through to the summer. 

23 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Administrators must be squeezing like fuck. 
Surely they should be getting a multiple of that, especially in that mad country. 

Not really, they just wanted a high(lsh) wage off their books pronto, he only had 6 months left on his deal and the money they save on that makes the deal more like a £300k transfer (although obviously they cant go out and sign a replacement).

I suspect they saved even more by offloading David Marshall to QPR

5 minutes ago, 1983 said:

Aye, the interview just reeked (again) of him being out his depth. 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The two major factors holding us back.

1) The manager/coach

2) Shite recruitment

It won’t get better until Glass is gone. He’s out his depth as a coach. 
Until Cormack accepts this it’ll be scrabbling about trying to make the top 6 & wasting the 3rd biggest budget in the league. 

FnD level posting. Same thing over and over. Once will do you piece of shit. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, the interview just reeked (again) of him being out his depth. 

The transfers are on Mowbray, Cormack and Gunn. But, because Glass will feel lucky to be the boss, he won’t be willing to bang heads - same as Gunn. Guess what happens when you surround yourself with sycophants and yes-men…

6 minutes ago, Eugenefani said:

Glass should operate with more class than suggesting McGrath can’t handle the pressure of being an Aberdeen player. Not a good look for the club and makes Glass come across as an arsehole.

Daft thing to say. Unnecessary. 

No issue with us moving on though. 
McGrath apparently hasn’t turned down our offer, he just wants to explore other interest.

He can double his money. Fair enough.

Move on without the need for that.