January 2022 transfer window

18 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

So if it is the case that morale in the team is so low and players aren't wanting to come here what the fuck is Cormack doing about it? If he buries his head in the sane and hopes it gets better then he's a bigger mug than i already think he is. 

Do you really think if morale was so low we would have played as well as we did v Rangers and Edinburgh City?

There is only one reason why McGrath and other players don't want to come and it's not to do with morale.

It's because they want to chase the £ in England.

8 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Do you really think if morale was so low we would have played as well as we did v Rangers and Edinburgh City?

There is only one reason why McGrath and other players don't want to come and it's not to do with morale.

It's because they want to chase the £ in England.

That's why i said "if". Unless of course you missed that? I personally don't see the morale as low. But there is obviously an issue within the club why we can't attract players. Not just talking about McGrath. He wants to chase the cash in England. The problem he has with that is that no-one down there has offered him anything yet. 

12 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

That's why i said "if". Unless of course you missed that? I personally don't see the morale as low. But there is obviously an issue within the club why we can't attract players. Not just talking about McGrath. He wants to chase the cash in England. The problem he has with that is that no-one down there has offered him anything yet. 

The problem we have in signing players is that as far as I can see , we only look at the lower leagues of England… we need to be casting out net further.  ( maybe this is happening, I have no idea )  

Re McGrath.  I actually think we should have showed a bit of patience with him.  We can’t afford to pull plugs on deals for players when they are perfectly entitled to weigh up their options. Glass has shot him self in foot by having a sly dig at him afterwards.  

14 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

How do you know he hasn't had offers from down there?

he may well have had offers from clubs, but has decided it’s nae for him for whatever reason, and is quite willing to take his chances when his contract expires.

12 minutes ago, Kiriakov33 said:

The problem we have in signing players is that as far as I can see , we only look at the lower leagues of England… we need to be casting out net further.  ( maybe this is happening, I have no idea )  

Re McGrath.  I actually think we should have showed a bit of patience with him.  We can’t afford to pull plugs on deals for players when they are perfectly entitled to weigh up their options. Glass has shot him self in foot by having a sly dig at him afterwards.  

It's something we've been saying for long enough that we need to broaden the horizons on which we look  mowbray was meant to assist with that because he scouted Europe for a team he was at (can't remember if it was Blackburn or another) but so far all he's given us is Samuels. And no hint that he's even recommended anyone else. 

And we definitely should have been patient with McGrath. He's a ROI international so might have wanted to keep his options open. And let's be honest we only offered him a pre-contract meaning he's under no pressure at all to sign it quickly. If we really wanted him we should have stumped up the cash for him. Because till bring him in this window we'd have had to buy him anyway. Long gone are the days when you signed someone on a pre-contract then brought them in immediately for buttons. The club needs to wisen up a bit on the transfer front. But then again when Gunn is the biggest cog in the football operations wheel it's no wonder we look a tad amateurish. 

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Kiriakov33 said:

A bit of patience?  We offered him a deal at the earliest time possible, he/his agent then fucked us over, it really is that simple.

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

A bit of patience?  We offered him a deal at the earliest time possible, he/his agent then fucked us over, it really is that simple.

I get that. But he is perfectly entitled to wait and see what other offers he gets.  It’s pretty naive of a club to make an offer to a player in first week of January and expect him to sign even though he has 3 weeks left to wait for other offers.   All this “players must want to play for club”  is old fashioned bollocks. 

7 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Aye but by having that wee dig at him it means we can't go back in for him should a move south not materialise this month. There was no need for that remark from Glass.

Fuck going back in for him if he wanted to come he would of.
If your his second option and ends up here cos nothing else materialises anywhere he would sound like mark McGee who wanted Celtic ended up here. 

Fuck him move on 

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Kiriakov33 said:

I get that. But he is perfectly entitled to wait and see what other offers he gets.  It’s pretty naive of a club to make an offer to a player in first week of January and expect him to sign even though he has 3 weeks left to wait for other offers.   All this “players must want to play for club”  is old fashioned bollocks. 

What if the player/agent made it clear that he'd love to be here and was more than happy with the deal?

4 minutes ago, minijc said:

What if the player/agent made it clear that he'd love to be here and was more than happy with the deal?

If that was the case then I can understand why we pulled the offer.  As long as we have a plan b in place.  Sometimes you just have to play the long game and wait to the end of the month before players make decisions.  We certainly now have no chance of getting him.  Players are mercenaries and will go to whoever can offer the most attractive contract.  

1 hour ago, thurso said:

Fuck going back in for him if he wanted to come he would of.
If your his second option and ends up here cos nothing else materialises anywhere he would sound like mark McGee who wanted Celtic ended up here. 

Fuck him move on 

How often do you get a player at the first attempt? Fucking hell McInnes tried numerous times to get a player here before they actually turned up. A lot of the time it shows how keen you are to have them on board. I get that people may disagree with that and say "well if he's turned us down once then he can go to fuck". I think that's a bit simplistic personally. If he's a player you really think will improve the squad you should always try and get him. It's cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

1 hour ago, Kiriakov33 said:

If that was the case then I can understand why we pulled the offer.  As long as we have a plan b in place.  Sometimes you just have to play the long game and wait to the end of the month before players make decisions.  We certainly now have no chance of getting him.  Players are mercenaries and will go to whoever can offer the most attractive contract.  

Who says that our offer might not turn out to be the best he gets? We certainly know it topped the St Mirren offer and they are on record as saying what they have would/will have made him their highest paid player ever.

He may well end up regretting fucking us about. 

I was never massively in favour of signing him and I hope that if his agent does a U-turn and suddenly says he is willing to join up that we tell him our offer has changed and is now for £500/wk less

13 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

How often do you get a player at the first attempt? Fucking hell McInnes tried numerous times to get a player here before they actually turned up. A lot of the time it shows how keen you are to have them on board. I get that people may disagree with that and say "well if he's turned us down once then he can go to fuck". I think that's a bit simplistic personally. If he's a player you really think will improve the squad you should always try and get him. It's cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

If he said he wanted to come then turned round a few days later saying no thanks that would indicate he’s untrustworthy so why would you go for him again. 

24 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Aye and they usually turned up 18months later, with big wage demands and two need replacements.

6 minutes ago, minijc said:

Aye and they usually turned up 18months later, with big wage demands and two need replacements.

There was that. But you don't always get your target at the 1st attempt. I just think we pulled the plug on it too early when we only ever offered him a pre contract putting him under no pressure. If we really wanted him we should have gone to St Mirren and got an offer accepted and that might have made him make a decision quicker and then given him less time to think about other options.