Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

January 2022 transfer window

23 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

I don't hate Glass. He's certainly not the right person for the job and some of his comments with regards to McGrath leave a lot to be desired. He's got to reign it in a bit. Well a lot in fact. He came across like a bit of a fanny saying that. 

He is the right person for the job,things are improving slowly,and with a couple of decent signings in summer we'll  be a decent side.

He inherited  shite,it takes time to turn things round.

And he's right about McGrath.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Christie was a level above Johnston. 
Now several levels above. 

Aye that was my point. I was actually happy enough with the Christie loan (well 6 months worth certainly) but understand others were not.
Christie was on the cusp of the Scotland squad.

Mikey Johnston is a long way short of that at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Aye that was my point. I was actually happy enough with the Christie loan (well 6 months worth certainly) but understand others were not.

There is absolutely no point in loaning anyone from the same division unless there is an option to buy at the end of the loan. 

The mistake we did with Christie wasn't taking him on loan it was failing to buy him at the end of the loan period.

4 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

There is absolutely no point in loaning anyone from the same division unless there is an option to buy at the end of the loan. 

The mistake we did with Christie wasn't taking him on loan it was failing to buy him at the end of the loan period.

To be fair, if the Tims has signed John McGinn, in the summer of 2018, we had an agreement in place to sign Christie for £600k but obviously, they didn’t so we didn’t 

10 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Completely agree. The McCrorie deal was OK as it had a clear deal we could buy. Christie one was always flawed. Ironic of course that if Celtic had bought McGinn that Christie would have been here permanently. If we had insisted it was a loan to buy in 1st place it would have still been ok. Of course Celtic may not have accepted that at the time.

Johnston is 22 with 51 appearances, mainly off the bench, a loan with option to buy would maybe be Ok but a straight loan is not good business.

24 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Aside from the fact he’s not that good, aside from the fact we couldn’t play him against the Tims, he’s never fit.

In the last three league seasons he’s played, 10, 11 & 12 games.

Was highly rated 3 years ago, but he’s regressed & had numerous lengthy injuries since.

I hope we don’t go for him, would be a mistake. 

I think Johnston is better than what we have available for that position. But as many others have said, he spends far too much time on the treatment table and not out on the park.

He might be a useful permanent addition if we could somehow remedy that situation, although he's got a while left on his contract and supposedly ROI are considering calling him up before Scotland do...that would surely increase their asking price.

Not really a big fan of loans but 6 months probably is a good option in this instance. It would give our medical team a good look to see if he has just been unlucky with his injuries or if he does have an ongoing fitness problem.

3 hours ago, blowupsheep said:

Hope to fk this is a bullshit story as we should not be considering taking anybody on loan from any other SPFL team ever again, Ryan Christie was a decent player and still is but we shot ourselves in the foot by taking him on loan from the unwashed, that was just stupidity and desperation at the time and we should not even be thinking about repeating that scenario.

How did we shoot ourselves in the foot? He was immense for us. Scored our first winner at Ibrox in 7000 years. Having Christie in the squad was far better for us than not having him in the squad. 

If we didnt take him we wouldn't have been as good. We certainly wouldn't have been better. And don't tell me we "developed him". We just gave him games, which he would have got elsewhere. He was always going to make it. Just a shame Celtic had that injury crisis or I think we would have got him full time in the following January window. 

I would definitely take Johnston for 6 months because he's the type of player we need. Then hopefully get him full time in the summer. I don't think he's anywhere near the class of Christie though, so wouldn't be expecting that. But he's better than Ojo as an attacking player, put it that way. 

16 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

We should not be taking loans from rivals.  You can't play them against the parent club and if playing well they have to be dropped.  Look elsewhere or buy him outright.

We are nowhere near Celtic for the next 6 months, they arent our rivals for anything. We need to focus on clawing it back in the league. What if Hearts or Motherwell take Johnston and he is a success? Then he is doing damage to us. It doesnt matter about Celtic. Only place it really matters is if we draw them in the cup. But if we don't sign him we can't play him in that anyway!

Get him in

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, VandeVen7 said:

Completely agree. The McCrorie deal was OK as it had a clear deal we could buy. Christie one was always flawed. Ironic of course that if Celtic had bought McGinn that Christie would have been here permanently. If we had insisted it was a loan to buy in 1st place it would have still been ok. Of course Celtic may not have accepted that at the time.

Johnston is 22 with 51 appearances, mainly off the bench, a loan with option to buy would maybe be Ok but a straight loan is not good business.

McCrorie deal was an obligation to buy. Not an option to buy. He was always moving in the summer permanently. Then of course we punted the Rat Bastard Mk2 and signed him permanently in the january window last season. 

9 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

McCrorie deal was an obligation to buy. Not an option to buy. He was always moving in the summer permanently. Then of course we punted the Rat Bastard Mk2 and signed him permanently in the january window last season. 

Yeah fair point - over riding feeling is a loan and no right to make it permanent feels fundamentally a flawed plan.

13 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

How did we shoot ourselves in the foot? He was immense for us. Scored our first winner at Ibrox in 7000 years. Having Christie in the squad was far better for us than not having him in the squad. 

If we didnt take him we wouldn't have been as good. We certainly wouldn't have been better. And don't tell me we "developed him". We just gave him games, which he would have got elsewhere. He was always going to make it. Just a shame Celtic had that injury crisis or I think we would have got him full time in the following January window. 

I would definitely take Johnston for 6 months because he's the type of player we need. Then hopefully get him full time in the summer. I don't think he's anywhere near the class of Christie though, so wouldn't be expecting that. But he's better than Ojo as an attacking player, put it that way. 

We are nowhere near Celtic for the next 6 months, they arent our rivals for anything. We need to focus on clawing it back in the league. What if Hearts or Motherwell take Johnston and he is a success? Then he is doing damage to us. It doesnt matter about Celtic. Only place it really matters is if we draw them in the cup. But if we don't sign him we can't play him in that anyway!

Get him in

Only point id argue here is that if we dont sign him on loan, but get somebody else in his position, then they could play against them. So we wouldnt neccessarily be weaker. 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, VandeVen7 said:

Yeah fair point - over riding feeling is a loan and no right to make it permanent feels fundamentally a flawed plan.

Aye i agree. Not a chance i'd be taking him without an option to get him permanently. The only thing that worries me is his injury record. Might be a decent enough player but if he's another Watkins (injury record i mean) then i don't really see the point. 

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Get him in

Good post min, a rare dose of realism.

Can’t say I’ve seen much of Johnston , but from what I have seen I doubt if he’s anywhere near as good as Christie was when he came to us. I get the impression he gets in to great positions on or near the byline , but hardly ever plays a decent cross or ball into the box.  We’ve already got players like that , notably Hedges , McLennan and Ojo.