January 2022 transfer window

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Shinnie's biggest attributes are also physical though. His stamina and ability to run up and down the park all day. It's not like he's a highly technical player. 

Yes I agree but he also reads the game well that’s the biggest attribute you need to sit in front of the defence.
At 30 Scott browns biggest attribute was his stamina ang getting about the park, he adapted his game to what it is now, I think shinnie is good enough to do the same. 

I'd have thought Derby, despite being certs for the drop, would offer him another couple of years on at least the same money he's getting now. Which would probably rule us out.

And tbh I hope they do. He wouldn't be the worst signing for us right now but as others have said....he's past 30 now, by the time next season comes around he's a matter of a few weeks away from turning 31 and by the time he's towards the end of his contract his legs may well have gone. Which really was his main attribute, he was never the greatest footballer (and is another horribly one footed lefty)

Firmly in the no camp 

20 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I'd have thought Derby, despite being certs for the drop, would offer him another couple of years on at least the same money he's getting now. Which would probably rule us out.

And tbh I hope they do. He wouldn't be the worst signing for us right now but as others have said....he's past 30 now, by the time next season comes around he's a matter of a few weeks away from turning 31 and by the time he's towards the end of his contract his legs may well have gone. Which really was his main attribute, he was never the greatest footballer (and is another horribly one footed lefty)

Firmly in the no camp 

The thing is Derby are still no closer to having their takeover completed. They were meant to name a preferred bidder last week and the bloke who was going to be that then pulled out. So would they be in a position to offer him anything? I still think he'll get plenty of offers from down south. But maybe after the pandemic etc and having a young family he wants to be closer to home. Time will tell i suppose. Bought a big house in Nairn so he's planning on moving back up at some point. Disco Dave slaps a 6 or 7k a week contract in front of him he might just sign it. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No but it would be nice if one or two were. 

Not one of the permanent signings so far meets that criteria. 

Offset by the inclusion of McKenzie and Ramsay, we still have 3/4 prospects in and around the first team who we could definitely make money off of. 

Just now, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Offset by the inclusion of McKenzie and Ramsay, we still have 3/4 prospects in and around the first team who we could definitely make money off of. 

That's the answer to a different question though. 

You won't regenerate your squad by signing lots of guys in their 30s and you won't do it through your own youth system alone.  You have to supplement by bringing in young talent from other clubs. 

We must have one of the oldest match day squads in the division apart from maybe Huns and Hearts? 

Scott Brown (36)

Niall McGinn (34)

Andy Considine (34)

Jonny Hayes (34)

Joe Lewis (34)

Christian Ramirez (30)

Marley Watkins (31)

Jay Emmanuel Thomas (31)

Declan Gallagher (30)

Gary Woods (31)

Funso Ojo (30)

Thats 11 of our likely match day squad of 18 over the age of 30 if everyone was fit . 

7 of them either signed or extended by the current management. 

Edit: was going to add McGeouch to this list but amazingly he's still only 28! Same age as Mikey Devlin. 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Firmly in the no camp 

Is there not a wage cap in league 1?

59 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Happy to offer 10m bonus to their players if they go up though. Minks. 

A small amount considering what they make over following 3-4 years if they do go up. 
Will the bonus be in form of EBT’s or will it be taxed? Government would do all they can to get them promoted if all the players had to pay tax on £10m bonuses