January 2022 transfer window

13 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Players like McGrath who's been in the SPL for 2-3 seasons and Clark who has been in it for about 10 seasons are probably bored out their brains playing against the same teams about 5 times a season. It's understandable they want to explore something new, and get paid more for doing it. 

The selling point for us previously was that we were challenging at the top of the league and regularly getting to cup semis and finals and guaranteed Europe every season. We havent got any of those selling points at this precise moment. We're very much just on a par with the likes of Hearts and Hibs now and not much ahead of the likes of Motherwell and Dunee Utd when it comes to appeal.

Genuine question here - if we take off the red tinted spectacles and put ourselves in the players' shoes, what are the selling points for joining Aberdeen Football Club right now? 

Earning twice what they were at their previous club. With the theoretical chance that they might win a cup medal at some point of the duration of their contract. But more than likely not.

Sadly teams such as Burton Albion and Lincoln City  in EFL 1 can easily match that. The likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth etc can all comfortably beat it (love Michael Jackson). They can dangle the carrot of possible promotion into the English championship and a reasonable shot at winning a medal in the Papa John's Trophy. Hoo mama

We can't make players sign for us. 

We've also got a hefty wage Bill still of bit part players. Partly DMs fault and partly Glassys. 

Our squad is a state, I'd rather trim the fat, Ojo, McGeouch, Devlin, McGinn, Gurr etc than simply panic buy players to appease fans. 

1 hour ago, BonnieDon said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/aberdeen-pull-plug-on-jamie-mcgrath-move-as-st-mirren-ace-considers-other-options-3529668

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Zander Clark were to turn us down in favour of a move south. Fully anticipate that to happen next.

Going by what Callum Davidson said the other day, it’s England he’ll go to.

Who is it that is publicising our interest in these players? Their agents?

On 1/15/2022 at 9:29 AM, ThomohawkKid said:

Some very bitter people on here ago. Last 18 months Hedges has been regarded one of, if not our best player. Now he’s leaving, he’s nothing special. Let’s stop doing this every time a player leaves. We’d all keep him in a heart beat. We just know we won’t now.

?

On 1/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, Ten Caat said:

No not really

We have always known that he's  horrifically one footed, dreadfully inconsistent ( roughly 1 excellent game, 1 decent game, 2 games where he's totally anonymous and 1 horror show for every 5 appearances)

Also over his time with us he has proven to miss fair old chunks of every season through various niggling injuries.

Don't forget also in his first season with us he was so bad that McInnes dropped him and he barely made the bench for the whole second half of that season. So much so that if you can find the right thread on here, you would see such comments the following pre-season like "i'd forgotten he even played for us" and a cacophony of "get rid....he's shite"

if he had signed our extension I would have been ok about because he's not the only inconsistent player around and when he's excellent he's certainly a matchwinner. But he plainly wants to be elsewhere so I'd rather we got a smallish fee right now if possible and get him moved on.

Good summary.

Fuck all "bitter" about it. 

Bizarre, and fairly retarded take.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:52 PM, North_Andy_Dandy said:

How many of the out of contracts do people see getting a new deal?

Hedges, Hayes,McGinn, McGeouch, Ojo & Considine all out of contract in the summer. 

Zero hopefully.

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

Previously we had a bit of appeal - consistently 2nd or 3rd, semi finals and finals, European games each year, and as a result of those things an opportunity to build your profile and earn another move. 

One of the funniest things that kept getting mentioned in the summer (by Glass and Cormack I think) was that having Scott Brown here would attract players who wanted to play alongside him. Oh and our internationally-renowned strikers' coach was going to be an attraction too.

I wonder if players are also maybe looking at the situations with Ferguson and Hedges (and even with McKenna previously) and how we're holding on to them longer than they want to be here, and they're thinking that this isn't a good "springboard" club anymore.

Also I don't really see Glass being able to do much of a job at selling the Aberdeen dream to a prospective - he's pretty uninspiring, and has no reputation as a coach to help entice them.

This. For all of McInnes' faults (and there were plenty) the majority of the times a player signed he played a major part in it. Players wanted to play under him. I just don't see Glass having that about him. Nothing about him would make me want to play for him. He loves to throw a player under the bus when results don't go his way (see Ojo). If he was trying to sell me on a move i'd probably tell him to poke it in fairness. 

I just hope the club know what they are doing. They've said they want to come out the window stronger than they went in and right now there's not a chance we're even close to that  will need to be a busy 2 weeks if it is to be the case because there's a lot that needs rectified  and should we not rectify it this month i hope it's because Glass is getting the bullet. 

2 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

This. For all of McInnes' faults (and there were plenty) the majority of the times a player signed he played a major part in it. Players wanted to play under him. I just don't see Glass having that about him. Nothing about him would make me want to play for him. He loves to throw a player under the bus when results don't go his way (see Ojo). If he was trying to sell me on a move i'd probably tell him to poke it in fairness. 

I just hope the club know what they are doing. They've said they want to come out the window stronger than they went in and right now there's not a chance we're even close to that  will need to be a busy 2 weeks if it is to be the case because there's a lot that needs rectified  and should we not rectify it this month i hope it's because Glass is getting the bullet. 

We've gotten rid of Longstaff and Samuels and look set to get shot of Gurr so I'd argue that point tbf ?

2 minutes ago, NEM said:

We've gotten rid of Longstaff and Samuels and look set to get shot of Gurr so I'd argue that point tbf ?

Just JET to go then ?. We've shifted some of the deadwood but they were all Glass signings aswell. Giving Devlin and McGinn new deals still irks me to this day. And if the club even bother to announce that Devlin has signed a new deal they'll get both barrels. 

13 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Just JET to go then ?. We've shifted some of the deadwood but they were all Glass signings aswell. Giving Devlin and McGinn new deals still irks me to this day. And if the club even bother to announce that Devlin has signed a new deal they'll get both barrels. 

Come on now he'll be like a brand new signing! ?

Jury's out for me till window closes,I just wish the club would show some baws & spend some money, fans have had enough of shelling out year after year to pay for a season ticket for the 3rd place trophy.

Not good enough. We want & should be challenging on all fronts.

No guts, no glory. 

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Earning twice what they were at their previous club. With the theoretical chance that they might win a cup medal at some point of the duration of their contract. But more than likely not.

Sadly teams such as Burton Albion and Lincoln City  in EFL 1 can easily match that. The likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth etc can all comfortably beat it (love Michael Jackson). They can dangle the carrot of possible promotion into the English championship and a reasonable shot at winning a medal in the Papa John's Trophy. Hoo mama

Very much doubt we'd double most players wages and I also would suggest we have as much chance as St Mirren has of winning anything this season and subsequent seasons based on the shambles that AFC are right now. 

Apart from the Govan side I cannot think of any other club that has had the audacity to name the training complex after their chairman. Considering our history its extremely embarrassing that was what the complex was ultimately named. 

Cormack playing his own real life game of FIFA.

I renewed this season against better judgement but won't be back next year unless there are wholesale changes.

55 minutes ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

Jury's out for me till window closes,I just wish the club would show some baws & spend some money, fans have had enough of shelling out year after year to pay for a season ticket for the 3rd place trophy.

Not good enough. We want & should be challenging on all fronts.

No guts, no glory. 

You’re dreaming if you think we will be challenging for the league when we’re signing the shite Glass does.

We’re miles away.
On the pitch & even more so, off the pitch. 

12 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Very much doubt we'd double most players wages and I also would suggest we have as much chance as St Mirren has of winning anything this season and subsequent seasons based on the shambles that AFC are right now. 

Apart from the Govan side I cannot think of any other club that has had the audacity to name the training complex after their chairman. Considering our history its extremely embarrassing that was what the complex was ultimately named. 

I renewed this season against better judgement but won't be back next year unless there are wholesale changes.

Bit of a waste now you'll be busy most Saturdays Darek

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Who do you think should have been given the manager job instead of Glass?

Were there any other candidates at the time?

Alex Neil etc

14 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Players at St Mirren (although recently they have started giving out relatively massive contracts in certain cases), St Johnstone, Motherwell and the likes tend to be earning in the £1200-£2000/week range. I'd surmise McGrath currently fits into this profile, given where they signed him from. So doubling that wage wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary for us. 

I totally concur that this season our chances of winning something are pretty much the same. They really should be a bit better given the disparity in relative budgets. But with the advantage the arse cheeks hold over us in budget terms, it's still a long shot that any team outwith them will. St J have though and not just once so there's hope for us all.

Just now, Ten Caat said:

Players at St Mirren (although recently they have started giving out relatively massive contracts in certain cases), St Johnstone, Motherwell and the likes tend to be earning in the £1200-£2000/week range. I'd surmise McGrath currently fits into this profile, given where they signed him from. So doubling that wage wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary for us. 

I totally concur that this season our chances of winning something are pretty much the same. They really should be a bit better given the disparity in relative budgets. But with the advantage the arse cheeks hold over us in budget terms, it's still a long shot that any team outwith them will. St J have though and not just once so there's hope for us all.

Another thread you're stating that St Mirren have offered to make him their highest paid player - in the range of over £4k. Make up your mind. 

We're not paying McGrath £8-9k that is a fact.

8 minutes ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

Who do you think should have been given the manager job instead of Glass?

Were there any other candidates at the time?

Alex Neil etc

Neil was fired by Preston on 21st March, we appointed Glass on the 23rd. If you believe Cormack, others were interviewed (possibly 3 others) but Glass was the outstanding candidate.

Given the timescales, it's reasonable to assume Neil was still in a job when this all took place

In any case he stated about a month later that he wanted to continue his career in England and wasn't interested in returning to Scotland at present. And I believe he reiterated this to Hibs recently when they wanted him to replace Jack Ross.

Nevertheless....Glass was and remains the wrong man for us

10 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Another thread you're stating that St Mirren have offered to make him their highest paid player - in the range of over £4k. Make up your mind. 

We're not paying McGrath £8-9k that is a fact.

I said we would double those on £1200-£2000/week............read what I wrote not make up your own take on it. I said that McGraths CURRENT wage fits into this profile

Although we are certainly paying Scott Brown more than the figures you quote. And I believe we could and would pay the right player those kind of figures as well. But McGrath certainly isn't the right player

4 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

We havent got any of those selling points at this precise moment. We're very much just on a par with the likes of Hearts and Hibs now and not much ahead of the likes of Motherwell and Dunee Utd when it comes to appeal.

Genuine question here - if we take off the red tinted spectacles and put ourselves in the players' shoes, what are the selling points for joining Aberdeen Football Club right now? 

I suppose it depends on whether you have a memory span that's a bit longer than a goldfish. 

2 hours ago, Durrant Dived said:

The administrators accepted it not the club. 

What's the distinction - can the club nix it?

2 hours ago, AyrshireSheep said:

This. For all of McInnes' faults (and there were plenty) the majority of the times a player signed he played a major part in it.

Yes, I'll give McInnes that. He was fairly good at selling the club. I'm not sure why you think Glass isn't good at that, it sounds like a fair amount of speculation on your part.

7 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

I suppose it depends on whether you have a memory span that's a bit longer than a goldfish. 

What's the distinction - can the club nix it?

Yes, I'll give McInnes that. He was fairly good at selling the club. I'm not sure why you think Glass isn't good at that, it sounds like a fair amount of speculation on your part.

The club can't.......Shinnie was under no obligation to go though

But it's immaterial.....he signed for them yesterday....

37 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

You’re dreaming if you think we will be challenging for the league when we’re signing the shite Glass does.

We’re miles away.
On the pitch & even more so, off the pitch. 

We have been signing some shite overrated players for  years.

It's all about what ambitions the club have & also the fans, I want to see my team challenging & why not.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones who can remember the good old days ?

17 minutes ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

We have been signing some shite overrated players for  years.

It's all about what ambitions the club have & also the fans, I want to see my team challenging & why not.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones who can remember the good old days ?

I’m old enough for that too.
But we were spending at least as much on players back then as the bigot brothers.

I think I’m right in saying Peter Weir was a record signing in Scotland at the time? 

It all changed when the cripple & Souness arrived at the Bastard Garden.

We made a “statement” of the wrong kind by appointing a dud as coach/manager, who inherited a poor McInnes squad & made an arse of improving it despite being allowed to bring in 11 players.

I noticed too that Glass has changed his rhetoric around the January window. 
It’s gone from “we’ll come out of it stronger” to “if nothing happens we’ll attack the 2nd half of the season with a good squad”.