sooth_stander

January 2022 transfer window

This transfer window is fast becoming a total fkn shambles.
I'm not normally a pant pisher but by fcuk my bladder is getting weaker by the day.

But never fear all will be good when we hand Mikey Devlin a new deal and announce it's like having a new signing. That and bringing Matty Kennedy back into the fold. WTF is there not to like about that ffs 🤔

• Haha 1

Cormack and Glass ———-You lot the fans have been HAUDAGIN.   
Promises Promises Promises.   Your both full of shit. 

13 minutes ago, slippers said:

Club need to think about what they are saying to press. It just creates uneeded pressure and expectations. Did it in summer and done it again. It feels like we will be fighting for scraps at end of window but hopefully the club prove me wrong. 

What were the actual quotes ? Was it something fairly bland and non-committal along the lines of “Ideally, we’d like to have our business done as early as possible in the window and preferably before end of the winter break” ?

Or was it something mor3 definite , like “We will have done our transfer business before the end of the winter break?”

2 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/aberdeen-pull-plug-on-jamie-mcgrath-move-as-st-mirren-ace-considers-other-options-3529668

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Zander Clark were to turn us down in favour of a move south. Fully anticipate that to happen next.

We're just not getting these guys from other Scottish Premier teams like we were a few years ago.  They are making the moves directly down south more and more often.  We need to start picking them up younger rather than waiting until they are fully established.

• Upvote 2

Saying "we're going to get our business done early" is just stupid.  It's impossible to dictate how quickly we'll get targets in, if at all due to, as we're all aware from the previous god knows how many transfer windows, factors outside of our control.  Other clubs might stall selling until they have sold other players, the selling club might decide they want more money / want cash upfront rather than over X time, the player himself might decide to wait and see what offers he gets etc etc. 

Like saying "I'm planning on buying this specific house by end of February".  There's a ton of things that can and probably WILL make the sale take longer than it should, if it happens at all.

Ach we'll probably get 3 loans on the last day of the window same as last year. 

19 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/aberdeen-pull-plug-on-jamie-mcgrath-move-as-st-mirren-ace-considers-other-options-3529668

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Zander Clark were to turn us down in favour of a move south. Fully anticipate that to happen next.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, as he's bang average 

Just now, DD1903 said:

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, as he's bang average 

No better than what we have.  Waste of time and money pursuing him when we have far more pressing concerns

• Upvote 2

There will be 3 super signings from the highland league.   Glass needs to get new glass fitted it keeps steaming up when he’s looking at new signings, 

Then again maybe our business in this window is indeed all  complete, ship out the shite that was brought in in the summer and bring in a college graduate from the Yankee Highland League, all our business done before the huns game as Cormack :blahblah1: said it would be.

So maybe we are all getting over excited about nowt, as our leaders are as good as their word all our dealing is done and finished before the unwashed huns come to town.

56 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We're just not getting these guys from other Scottish Premier teams like we were a few years ago.  They are making the moves directly down south more and more often.  We need to start picking them up younger rather than waiting until they are fully established.

Players like McGrath who's been in the SPL for 2-3 seasons and Clark who has been in it for about 10 seasons are probably bored out their brains playing against the same teams about 5 times a season. It's understandable they want to explore something new, and get paid more for doing it. 

The selling point for us previously was that we were challenging at the top of the league and regularly getting to cup semis and finals and guaranteed Europe every season. We havent got any of those selling points at this precise moment. We're very much just on a par with the likes of Hearts and Hibs now and not much ahead of the likes of Motherwell and Dunee Utd when it comes to appeal.

Genuine question here - if we take off the red tinted spectacles and put ourselves in the players' shoes, what are the selling points for joining Aberdeen Football Club right now? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Reed or deed said:

Fucked if i would sign for us and i’m a fan. 

Tinpot dire club min 🤦‍♂️

Previously we had a bit of appeal - consistently 2nd or 3rd, semi finals and finals, European games each year, and as a result of those things an opportunity to build your profile and earn another move. 

One of the funniest things that kept getting mentioned in the summer (by Glass and Cormack I think) was that having Scott Brown here would attract players who wanted to play alongside him. Oh and our internationally-renowned strikers' coach was going to be an attraction too.

I wonder if players are also maybe looking at the situations with Ferguson and Hedges (and even with McKenna previously) and how we're holding on to them longer than they want to be here, and they're thinking that this isn't a good "springboard" club anymore.

Also I don't really see Glass being able to do much of a job at selling the Aberdeen dream to a prospective - he's pretty uninspiring, and has no reputation as a coach to help entice them.

3 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Previously we had a bit of appeal - consistently 2nd or 3rd, semi finals and finals, European games each year, and as a result of those things an opportunity to build your profile and earn another move. 

I wonder if players are also maybe looking at the situations with Ferguson and Hedges (and even with McKenna previously) and how we're holding on to them longer than they want to be here, and they're thinking that this isn't a good "springboard" club anymore.

Also I don't really see Glass being able to do much of a job at selling the Aberdeen dream to a prospective - he's pretty uninspiring, and has no reputation as a coach to help entice them.

Aye, all of the above.

Cormack doesn't help either imo.

13 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Players like McGrath who's been in the SPL for 2-3 seasons and Clark who has been in it for about 10 seasons are probably bored out their brains playing against the same teams about 5 times a season. It's understandable they want to explore something new, and get paid more for doing it. 

The selling point for us previously was that we were challenging at the top of the league and regularly getting to cup semis and finals and guaranteed Europe every season. We havent got any of those selling points at this precise moment. We're very much just on a par with the likes of Hearts and Hibs now and not much ahead of the likes of Motherwell and Dunee Utd when it comes to appeal.

Genuine question here - if we take off the red tinted spectacles and put ourselves in the players' shoes, what are the selling points for joining Aberdeen Football Club right now? 

Earning twice what they were at their previous club. With the theoretical chance that they might win a cup medal at some point of the duration of their contract. But more than likely not.

Sadly teams such as Burton Albion and Lincoln City  in EFL 1 can easily match that. The likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth etc can all comfortably beat it (love Michael Jackson). They can dangle the carrot of possible promotion into the English championship and a reasonable shot at winning a medal in the Papa John's Trophy. Hoo mama

We can't make players sign for us. 

We've also got a hefty wage Bill still of bit part players. Partly DMs fault and partly Glassys. 

Our squad is a state, I'd rather trim the fat, Ojo, McGeouch, Devlin, McGinn, Gurr etc than simply panic buy players to appease fans. 

1 hour ago, BonnieDon said:

Going by what Callum Davidson said the other day, it’s England he’ll go to.

Who is it that is publicising our interest in these players? Their agents?

On 1/15/2022 at 9:29 AM, ThomohawkKid said:

Some very bitter people on here ago. Last 18 months Hedges has been regarded one of, if not our best player. Now he’s leaving, he’s nothing special. Let’s stop doing this every time a player leaves. We’d all keep him in a heart beat. We just know we won’t now.

🙄

On 1/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, Ten Caat said:

No not really

We have always known that he's  horrifically one footed, dreadfully inconsistent ( roughly 1 excellent game, 1 decent game, 2 games where he's totally anonymous and 1 horror show for every 5 appearances)

Also over his time with us he has proven to miss fair old chunks of every season through various niggling injuries.

Don't forget also in his first season with us he was so bad that McInnes dropped him and he barely made the bench for the whole second half of that season. So much so that if you can find the right thread on here, you would see such comments the following pre-season like "i'd forgotten he even played for us" and a cacophony of "get rid....he's shite"

if he had signed our extension I would have been ok about because he's not the only inconsistent player around and when he's excellent he's certainly a matchwinner. But he plainly wants to be elsewhere so I'd rather we got a smallish fee right now if possible and get him moved on.

Good summary.

Fuck all "bitter" about it. 

Bizarre, and fairly retarded take.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:52 PM, North_Andy_Dandy said:

How many of the out of contracts do people see getting a new deal?

Hedges, Hayes,McGinn, McGeouch, Ojo & Considine all out of contract in the summer. 

Zero hopefully.

Aberdeen is a shithole. You can't blame players for picking the central belt/english cities over us.

Edited by Durrant Dived

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

One of the funniest things that kept getting mentioned in the summer (by Glass and Cormack I think) was that having Scott Brown here would attract players who wanted to play alongside him. Oh and our internationally-renowned strikers' coach was going to be an attraction too.

This. For all of McInnes' faults (and there were plenty) the majority of the times a player signed he played a major part in it. Players wanted to play under him. I just don't see Glass having that about him. Nothing about him would make me want to play for him. He loves to throw a player under the bus when results don't go his way (see Ojo). If he was trying to sell me on a move i'd probably tell him to poke it in fairness. 

I just hope the club know what they are doing. They've said they want to come out the window stronger than they went in and right now there's not a chance we're even close to that  will need to be a busy 2 weeks if it is to be the case because there's a lot that needs rectified  and should we not rectify it this month i hope it's because Glass is getting the bullet. 

We're obviously operating a fairly low budget, looking around at a limited amount of players. 

I would rather not make any more signings this window if they are similar standard to last summer.

Be good to see what Barron can do for example

2 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

This. For all of McInnes' faults (and there were plenty) the majority of the times a player signed he played a major part in it. Players wanted to play under him. I just don't see Glass having that about him. Nothing about him would make me want to play for him. He loves to throw a player under the bus when results don't go his way (see Ojo). If he was trying to sell me on a move i'd probably tell him to poke it in fairness. 

I just hope the club know what they are doing. They've said they want to come out the window stronger than they went in and right now there's not a chance we're even close to that  will need to be a busy 2 weeks if it is to be the case because there's a lot that needs rectified  and should we not rectify it this month i hope it's because Glass is getting the bullet. 

We've gotten rid of Longstaff and Samuels and look set to get shot of Gurr so I'd argue that point tbf 😄

2 minutes ago, NEM said:

We've gotten rid of Longstaff and Samuels and look set to get shot of Gurr so I'd argue that point tbf 😄

Just JET to go then 😂. We've shifted some of the deadwood but they were all Glass signings aswell. Giving Devlin and McGinn new deals still irks me to this day. And if the club even bother to announce that Devlin has signed a new deal they'll get both barrels. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Just JET to go then 😂. We've shifted some of the deadwood but they were all Glass signings aswell. Giving Devlin and McGinn new deals still irks me to this day. And if the club even bother to announce that Devlin has signed a new deal they'll get both barrels. 

Come on now he'll be like a brand new signing! 👀

Jury's out for me till window closes,I just wish the club would show some baws & spend some money, fans have had enough of shelling out year after year to pay for a season ticket for the 3rd place trophy.

Not good enough. We want & should be challenging on all fronts.

No guts, no glory.