Scotland vs Moldova & Denmark - 12/11 and 15/11

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Tierneys folks moved back to Scotland before he even turned 1!! He's hardly going to turn his back on Scotland to play for an isle of man select

Born in IOM is the same as being born in the Channel Islands...........you qualify to represent any of the UK countries

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Born in IOM is the same as being born in the Channel Islands...........you qualify to represent any of the UK countries

aye but you just said he qualifies through the parent rule. Rather than the fact he qualifies due to spending virtually his entire life in Scotland. 

it’s like saying Shaun Maloney is Malaysian or Neale Cooper was Indian!

8 hours ago, thurso said:

Not sure about that one ralston is getting good reports every game 

I've watched him play a few times, including against us. 

He's hopeless. 

Should be nowhere near the Scotland squad.  Only being touted because he's Scottish and plays for Celtic. Same as they push any Scottish player at Huns or Celtic. 

30 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He's hopeless. 

Should be nowhere near the Scotland squad.  Only being touted because he's Scottish and plays for Celtic. Same as they push any Scottish player at Huns or Celtic. 

Correct

Both Ramsay and Patterson are in a different league ability wise to Ralston. The Celtic fans thought he was a pile of shite themselves until this season

3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He's hopeless. 

He’s probably the best Scottish right back playing regularly right now. 

I would of said that was ramsay but he’s injured. Young hickey is doing ok in Italy, he can play right back but is more playing at left back so do t think he can get picked yet 

1 hour ago, thurso said:

He’s probably the best Scottish right back playing regularly right now. 

I would of said that was ramsay but he’s injured. Young hickey is doing ok in Italy, he can play right back but is more playing at left back so do t think he can get picked yet 

I think O'Donnell is better than Ralston, and that's recognising O'Donnell's many weaknesses 

31 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think O'Donnell is better than Ralston, and that's recognising O'Donnell's many weaknesses 

I wouldn’t say there is much between the two O’Donnell is probably a steady pro with many limitations who only got in the squad as there was no one else but ralston is maybe slightly better technically. 

Ramsay is way better than both but sadly he’s injured or id be calling for him to be in the squad. 

22 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I really don't like giving players caps who only have a Scottish grandparent. But you cannot choose where you are born, that's down to your parents so I don't have any objections to those with a Scottish parent being allowed into the international scene. I believe this guy that plays for Stoke has a Scottish mother so I'm going to accept him and hopefully he turns out to be a great addition. I'd never even heard of him before the call up so I've honestly no idea what to expect. McTominay, Dykes and Tierney all qualify through this rule.

Adams on the other hand only qualifies for us via the grandparent rule. But what is worse is that we clearly weren't his first choice. He qualifies for Antigua and Barbuda via his father but turned them down 6 years back. Scotland then approached him initially in 2017 but he turned us down as he wanted to keep his options open.....clearly England were his first choice. As far as I'm concerned he should never have been asked again. However we did and to be fair to him, he's always performed fairly well for us although Dykes has by far the better scoring record. Liam Cooper is the other player in the squad who qualifies via the grandparent rule. As I said i'm not in favour of it but to his credit, Cooper declared himself Scottish as a young loon and represented us in youth internationals at U17 and U19 levels

Yeah, I think each case should be looked at individually - I mean there's a big difference between someone who was born in England but who has lived their entire life in Scotland, parents and grandparents Scottish, and genuinely loves Scotland.... and someone like Adams who had probably never been to Scotland and who didn't really want to play for us until it looked like we were heading for the Euros. 

44 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Yeah, I think each case should be looked at individually - I mean there's a big difference between someone who was born in England but who has lived their entire life in Scotland, parents and grandparents Scottish, and genuinely loves Scotland.... and someone like Adams who had probably never been to Scotland and who didn't really want to play for us until it looked like we were heading for the Euros. 

Was it Matt Ritchie who said he'd never even stepped foot in Scotland after his first call up?

46 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

If a player qualifies to play for us through whatever rule and they are willing to turn up and give 100% then that's fine by me. Every other nation uses it to their advantage when they can.

Our problem is we have spent years calling up guys like Kris Commons, Matt Ritchie, Oli McBurnie etc who don't really give a shit about the Scotland team and didn't / don't put in any effort on the pitch for us.  

6 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

If a player qualifies to play for us through whatever rule and they are willing to turn up and give 100% then that's fine by me. Every other nation uses it to their advantage when they can.

Our problem is we have spent years calling up guys like Kris Commons, Matt Ritchie, Oli McBurnie etc who don't really give a shit about the Scotland team and didn't / don't put in any effort on the pitch for us.  

Yeah, you'd imagine that if some guy doing well in the English Championship or wherever has Scottish connections and really WANTS to play for Scotland he would make some noise about it and take the initiative... it seems we have to do extensive research to find some of these guys, who like you say, couldn't care less. McBurnie was brutal, and there's been countless other nomarks in the past who've been given the opportunity millions of us can only dream about, and yet it means nothing to them.

36 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Yeah, you'd imagine that if some guy doing well in the English Championship or wherever has Scottish connections and really WANTS to play for Scotland he would make some noise about it and take the initiative... it seems we have to do extensive research to find some of these guys, who like you say, couldn't care less. McBurnie was brutal, and there's been countless other nomarks in the past who've been given the opportunity millions of us can only dream about, and yet it means nothing to them.

McBurnie was brutal and doesn't want to play for us. McTominey is no more Scottish, but seems to really want to play, judging by his interviews. Happy to have folk like him in the team.

Veteran Dundee United defender Charlie Mulgrew says he will be ready for a late Scotland call-up if it comes after Grant Hanley was ruled out of this month's World Cup qualifiers. 

…and I’m ready to have a night of gear and passionate love making with Nigella Lawson, sadly it’ll never happen. Daft bastard. 

• Upvote 1