Scotland vs Moldova & Denmark - 12/11 and 15/11

5 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

So on nov 26th we’re drawn against an unseeded team for the semi and linked to another semi for our final, yes?  And then there’s another draw 26th to decide home benefit?

Following the completion of the UEFA First Round, the twelve teams that have advanced to the play-offs will be drawn into three paths of four teams on 26 November 2021, 17:00 CET, in Zürich, Switzerland.[6][7][2][8] The following procedure will be applied in the draw:[3]

The six seeded teams will be allocated to semi-finals 1 to 6 as the host team in the order drawn.
The six unseeded teams will be allocated to semi-finals 1 to 6 as the away team in the order drawn.
Play-off Path A is formed by semi-finals 1 and 2, with the winners of both semi-finals advancing to final A.
Play-off Path B is formed by semi-finals 3 and 4, with the winners of both semi-finals advancing to final B.
Play-off Path C is formed by semi-finals 5 and 6, with the winners of both semi-finals advancing to final C.
The semi-final winners that will host play-off finals A, B and C will be decided by a draw.

20 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

I was at that match. The memories.

Me too.  Hampden was packed, it was shoulder to shoulder and piss in the pocket of the man in front of you stuff.  The rain hammered down all evening. it was a wonder nobody drowned.

That whole campaign was mad.  Great wins away to Norway and home to France and really lucky wins against minnows Cyprus, including a 96th minute winner away.  We needed a point at home to Norway in the last game to qualify and we were comfortably up 1-0 when Leighton let in a long range shot with a couple of minutes to go  (my memory may be fading but I recall the shot coming from somewhere outside the ground).  A nervy last few minutes, but then that's the Scotland way. 

1 hour ago, Stavrogin said:

Me too.  Hampden was packed, it was shoulder to shoulder and piss in the pocket of the man in front of you stuff.  The rain hammered down all evening. it was a wonder nobody drowned.

That whole campaign was mad.  Great wins away to Norway and home to France and really lucky wins against minnows Cyprus, including a 96th minute winner away.  We needed a point at home to Norway in the last game to qualify and we were comfortably up 1-0 when Leighton let in a long range shot with a couple of minutes to go  (my memory may be fading but I recall the shot coming from somewhere outside the ground).  A nervy last few minutes, but then that's the Scotland way. 

Aye it was a strange error from a normally reliable Leighton, but then again he was at man Utd by then so that may have been a confidence thing, 

That was the game that ultimately finished Willie Millers playing career, ( aye the Norway game not the France game)

2 hours ago, Stavrogin said:

Norway game was first Scotland game I was at.
My recollection of their goal was Leighton was turned round facing away from plsy celebrating with the fans as only 30seconds to go and norway player just hit it catching Leighton be surprise and in it went 

7 hours ago, Stavrogin said:

In '93, I was sitting just about under where the cameras were, and we were comfortably 2-0 ahead. 

Then at approximately 2:08 of the following video, 57 minutes into the match in real time, with Estonia never having ever scored a World Cup goal ever, I jokingly roared at Bragin... "SHOOOOOOT!"

So he did. 

57 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

In '93, I was sitting just about under where the cameras were, and we were comfortably 2-0 ahead. 

Then at approximately 2:08 of the following video, 57 minutes into the match in real time, with Estonia never having ever scored a World Cup goal ever, I jokingly roared at Bragin... "SHOOOOOOT!"

So he did. 

Did he turn round to you and wink?

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

So he did. 

Some barnet on the guy Kryztal who gave away the pen on Nevin.

44 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Did he turn round to you and wink?

He presented me with the match ball, and everyone applauded. 

Actually, I got dogs abuse from my mate like I had actually influenced events on the field. 

I've watched that clip a few times, now, and I can't hear me telling him to shoot, so fairly sure Bragin was operating on his own initiative, rather than as a direct consequence of any advice I may have been yelling at him. 

I'd still like to think that I was in some small way responsible for Estonia's first ever World Cup goal, though. 

So that's what I'm going to do.

And if that goal ever comes up in conversation, tell them you know the guy who inspired it. 

10 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Scotland is, jointly with England, the oldest international side in the world, but even though there were only two teams in existence at one time the highest we've been ranked is still only 13th. 

That's SO Scotland. 

We pumped England the majority of times we played them in the beginning, so I prefer to think we were once the best international side in the world. ?

6 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

We pumped England the majority of times we played them in the beginning, so I prefer to think we were once the best international side in the world. ?

Weren't we the first team to beat them after they (boak) won the world cup?

1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

We must surely be due a bit of a rise in the rankings after the last year? 

You would think so especially beating Austria who were second seeds for the qualifying and we were third pot. And of coarse beating a top ten side that has only lost to England in the semis of the European championships in Denmark 

1 hour ago, Dons79 said:

It’s ally McLeod era that pains me the most being one of the favourites to win the tournament only to fuck it against Peru 

fucking Peru ??

We weren't actually one of the favourites to win it,  not outside Scotland anyway. That was more tongue in cheek bravado. We were tipped to do well though. Still, pumped the eventual finalists, and THAT goal.

2 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

We weren't actually one of the favourites to win it,  not outside Scotland anyway. That was more tongue in cheek bravado. We were tipped to do well though. Still, pumped the eventual finalists, and THAT goal.

True, football was awesome back then, before the money men moved in, some fantastic players on show, imagine we said that now, the straight jackets would be ordered ??