Jump to content
Somefriendly

Most prolific artist

Recommended Posts

Maybe been done before, but who would you say is the most prolific band in terms of quality?

Couple of bands in my head so I will start off with suede. From that debut with all the mega b sides, dog man star (untouchable) again with b sides through to coming up. They didn't release any shit, most of the b sides from 93 to 97 could easily have been a single.

Other names that spring to mind are echo and the bunnymen for the first 5 album run and the smiths (Obviously).

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Somefriendly said:

Maybe been done before, but who would you say is the most prolific band in terms of quality?

Couple of bands in my head so I will start off with suede. From that debut with all the mega b sides, dog man star (untouchable) again with b sides through to coming up. They didn't release any shit, most of the b sides from 93 to 97 could easily have been a single.

Other names that spring to mind are echo and the bunnymen for the first 5 album run and the smiths (Obviously).

christ on a bike suede !! you on the wind up ? 

The Clash "the only band that matters " but you can't dismiss the greats The Beatles , The Rolling Stones , Led Zeppelin if your talking prolific . Solo artists Bob Dylan , Neil Young . I'll throw in more modern bands like Artic Monkeys and KOL 

The bunnymen had a couple of decent hits as did The Smiths , who are over rated . Fuck me there's dozens of bands better 

Suede ffs 

Share this post


Link to post

Strummer makes a good point RE clash - every album was progression (not including that album), a development in sound.

Have to acknowledge ABBA, IMO. Consistently great pop albums.

Dylan threw a lot of mud and some of it stuck. 
 

Bowie? Suppose the criteria needs to be noted - like S Hoon/ Blind Melon made one great album before death. Does that give him a 100% success rate? 
 

Winehoose. Sessions 

Edited by Poodler

Share this post


Link to post

Stevie Wonder 

Aretha Franklin

Michael Jackson

Bruce Springsteen

Prince

All in a different stratosphere to bloody Suede.

Share this post


Link to post

the legendary artist\groups that had any sort of longevity all have utter garbage in their back catalogue at some period.
stones\bowie\dylan\u2\springsteen\the floyd\you name them.

even the Beatles produced some bog std stuff 
 

personally I’d say Hendrix.
his three albums (BoG doesn’t count) are all classics. 

 

Edited by Bluto10

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Bluto10 said:

the legendary artist\groups that had any sort of longevity all have utter garbage in their back catalogue at some period.
stones\bowie\dylan\u2\springsteen\the floyd\you name them.

even the Beatles produced some bog std stuff 
 

personally I’d say Hendrix.
his three albums (BoG doesn’t count) are all classics. 

 

That's what I was getting at, based on total output how much quality did they have. The stones gave some utter shite.

 

@redstrummerI give you the Clash for sure. Disagree with you on smiths but personal opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

Prolific is a term I’d associate with penalty box strikers , rapists and murderers.

Doesn't really apply to bands and that because of individual taste and they ALL have some absolute rot in the back catalogue.

Anyway.  Radiohead, the Strokes and Talking Heads are all fairly ace rn imho.

Share this post


Link to post

Alice in Chains released nothing but masterpieces until Layne took his last heavenly needle. 

Facelift

Jar of Flies

Dirt

Unplugged 

Self Titled

In that order. 

Sap was wonderful as well but as a 4 song EP i cant list it. 

I cant enjoy the current singer at all. 

 

I dont expect you heathens to understand. 

Zeppelin n Sabbath churned out absolute classics from late 60s to mid 70s, you cant keep that output/quality along with excess drug taking and minor riding. 

Skynyrd up until Street Survivors and the plane crash were on course to dominate the Rock n Roll world. 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

 

Anyway.  Radiohead, the Strokes and Talking Heads are all fairly ace rn imho.

I was about to say Talking Heads, only their final album Naked I don't rate. Radiohead also a good shout, love all their stuff. The Beatles, Led Zepp and the Clash rarely put a foot wrong either.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

I was about to say Talking Heads, only their final album Naked I don't rate. Radiohead also a good shout, love all their stuff. The Beatles, Led Zepp and the Clash rarely put a foot wrong either.

That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me. Enjoy the rest of your evening!

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, milne_afc said:

That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me. Enjoy the rest of your evening!

😄 Same to you pal.

Share this post


Link to post

When it comes to dance music, Chemical Brothers probably my choice. So much great output over such a long time.

Edited by maryhilldon

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, cheesepipes said:

Alice in Chains released nothing but masterpieces until Layne took his last heavenly needle. 

Facelift

Jar of Flies

Dirt

Unplugged 

Self Titled

In that order. 

Sap was wonderful as well but as a 4 song EP i cant list it. 

I cant enjoy the current singer at all. 

 

 

 

All brilliant but I really love the stuff with Duval as well. He's a great frontman and fits in perfectly. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/10/2021 at 12:09 AM, Sooper-hanz said:

All brilliant but I really love the stuff with Duval as well. He's a great frontman and fits in perfectly

No, No he doesnt

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, CrazyBullSheep said:

No, No he doesnt

Duval is the complete opposite of Layne, he has no Angst, suffering, there's no pain in his vocals, and that is what AIC is about. 

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed some of the new stuff, in fact check my brain is a favoutrite of mine. But I have to listen to them as a new band.  Just not the same

 

Anyway.....

Motorhead - fuck yeah

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CrazyBullSheep said:

Duval is the complete opposite of Layne, he has no Angst, suffering, there's no pain in his vocals, and that is what AIC is about. 

 

Correct.

He sounds like he spent a month in hell and was released to sing about it.

A true fallen angel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, CrazyBullSheep said:

 

Anyway.....

Motorhead - fuck yeah

And every one a banger 👌

Most influential album? Take your pick from Sergeant Pepper, What's Going On or Never Mind The Bollocks 

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

And every one a banger 👌

Most influential album? Take your pick from Sergeant Pepper, What's Going On or Never Mind The Bollocks 

 

Solid choice Frankie 
Bollocks>Going On

Revolver better than SP for me. Not sure what my top 3 lps is. Those are somewhere top 20 tho

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, CrazyBullSheep said:

Duval is the complete opposite of Layne, he has no Angst, suffering, there's no pain in his vocals, and that is what AIC is about. 

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed some of the new stuff, in fact check my brain is a favoutrite of mine. But I have to listen to them as a new band.  Just not the same

 

 

See where you're coming from but I don't know Duval's background ( I assume you do) so hard for me to comment on the 'angst' 'suffering' 'pain' argument. (Perhaps you could elaborate)

I was referring to his contribution in a live sense and sonically . He';s a brilliant frontman and his vocal is perfectly harmonious with Cantrell's. 

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

 

Revolver better than SP for me.  

For me it would have to be The Best of the Beatles.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Simply Red said:

Solid choice Frankie 
Bollocks>Going On

Revolver better than SP for me. Not sure what my top 3 lps is. Those are somewhere top 20 tho

Ooooooft, top 3 is a different kettle of fish completely from most influential mick.

Top 3 is a variable for anyone depending on where they are in their life. The exception obviously being Never Mind the Bollocks - seminal stuff

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...