Aberdeen v Dundee

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

What's he doing that's so different off the pitch then that's taking the players so long to adjust? 

Some changes to the training? Changes to diet? 

Quite a lot I'd imagine given that almost every player that was here under McInnes and left commented on the lack of intensity in the way we trained, other teams questioning the fitness of players they took from here too.  So With that you then have older, settled players here unable to adapt as the easy ride they once had is over.

6 minutes ago, minijc said:

Quite a lot I'd imagine given that almost every player that was here under McInnes and left commented on the lack of intensity in the way we trained, other teams questioning the fitness of players they took from here too.  So With that you then have older, settled players here unable to adapt as the easy ride they once had is over.

So after 9 months of this training players should be used to it and be a lot fitter?  Which should be showing dividends on the pitch?   Who are the settled players who are not buying into this training? 

I'm not having a go at you but let's not pretend we are doing something mind-blowingly different here.  It's a myth created by the club to buy the manager more time. It doesn't stand up to the eye test on the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

So after 9 months of this training players should be used to it and be a lot fitter?  Which should be showing dividends on the pitch? 

Well we definitely have a fitter squad, that is pretty obvious especially if you take in to consideration how we've played in some games, more so the ones where we've created a lot.

For me it's obvious that a lot of folk on here were/are McInnes fans, they can't see the bigger picture and are constantly overreacting, play poor but win- shite, play good but lose- shite, do everything fine and get a result- Glass GTF.

• Upvote 2
18 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Clark Robertson, Hamilton & McGrath 

?

that will transform the side into SPFL beaters

On a serious note though. 3 players is pathetic really as we are far more than just 3 players away from being anything resembling a decent/consistent side unless sneaking top 6 is the club’s ambitions 

Id happily take the 3 signings providing they were quality signings. I couldn't give a fuck about quantity its about time we signed quality.

6 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

I disagree about Glass being heavily backed (with transfer funds) during the summer. We have an extremely wealthy board and they still keep demanding DNA funds to help out etc. Glass wasn’t backed the way he should have been if they (the board) were genuinely serious about competing.

Aye but the wage bill must be significantly higher than last season? 

14 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

I disagree about Glass being heavily backed (with transfer funds) during the summer. We have an extremely wealthy board and they still keep demanding DNA funds to help out etc. Glass wasn’t backed the way he should have been if they (the board) were genuinely serious about competing.

That’s the second time you’ve mentioned DNA could you go find that topic, read it  and get that chat there. Keep your chat relevant here please. 

13 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

I am sure I read somewhere it was down on last season. 
Glass hasn’t been heavily backed…that is a complete myth.

Brown, Ramirez, Gallagher, Bates, Watkins, JET. Those guys can't be cheap? 

I agree that the rest (Gurr, Woods, Samuels, Jenks, Longstaff) were the usual squad filler fodder / non entity loans from England. 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Brown, Ramirez, Gallagher, Bates, Watkins, JET. Those guys can't be cheap? 

I agree that the rest (Gurr, Woods, Samuels, Jenks, Longstaff) were the usual squad filler fodder / non entity loans from England. 

A few big earner’s from last season moved on. My point is that Glass was not back as good as what people suggest. The board should spend more if they want success on the pitch.

3 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Completely agree, but you also have to factor in 1/. At least one of those players might actually want to be away and 2/.  Both players could command respectable fees.

Doesnt change your point that we’re utterly reliant on both at present.

Absolutely - I think both of them probably want to be away, and for Ferguson it's probably about the right time to cash in on him. Doubt we'll get much for Hedges, but if we even get a couple hundred thousand it might fund a replacement, which would be good given that he'd leave in the summer anyway.

But yeah, the point remains - if they are the players helping us scrape the wins and they go, we will do well to replace them in January.

2 hours ago, minijc said:

Not exclusive to players though is it?  We have a new manager with different ideas, some players incapable of playing his way, others that simply do not want to give their all for the club.  Last season and every other season under McInnes everyone knew how we would set up, with that players have a familiarity and they know they can have an easy life, especially in trainer. 

One thing I'll say that we've been guilty of is being naïve, we've tried to make too many massive changes at the same time and it isn't paying off right now however these things take time, fortunately for us the way the league is this year a couple of a good wins back to back get you in a great position.  If McInnes was still here, I highly doubt we'd be in a much better position as things had gotten so stale we'd have been lucky to finish in the top 6 had we not binned him when we did, right now we are 4pts off of 4th, 9pts off of 3rd spot, I'll take that especially when you take in to consideration the injuries we've had to key players and some ropey decisions going against us, at the very least we should have beat Rangers and drawn with Dundee United (Ojo game) and Hibs the other night, folk need to chill oot.

I'm still not really sure what it is that he's trying to do that's so "different". I mean the formation is a pretty bog standard one, with an emphasis on the full backs getting forward. He's trying to get them to pass the ball a bit more, but a lot of it still seems to be the same old pass it around at the back for a while, before pinging a ball down the channel, very similar to what we got under McInnes.

We've still not got the "winning mentality" that we were expecting to have through the likes of Brown coming in.

Glass had long enough of last season to see who was going to fit into the "new" style and system he was going on about - he gave new contracts to some players who were never really going to fit in or contribute much - guys like McGinn, Devlin etc. He also brought in players who were never going to fit the system - JET for example. I'm also not sure where guys like Jenks or Samuels really would fit in to the system we play. He also brought in Longstaff who he knew would never get a game. 

Point is, he has had enough time for there to be some obvious signs of progress, but personally I don't really see any. McInnes went (rightly) because it was all stale and boring and he couldn't take us any further (we were regressing). The Chairman led us to believe that this appointment was going to take us forward in terms of results, performances, excitement, entertainment etc. So far, almost a year in, it's not really led to a noticeable improvement in any area. Maybe the players are fitter... I don't know. It hasn't resulted in better performances or results if they are. We also seem to still pick up just as many injuries as we used to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye but considering the impact of covid on finances he was backed pretty well under the circumstances I thought. 

I am not sticking up for Glass for what has happened on the pitch….he has had transfer funds but nothing at all exciting. It will be interesting to see what happens in January when a player is sold. Does it get reinvested into the team or does it go straight into the bank account and never to be heard of again. I know that when we sell Ramsay the money is going back to the investors of the training facilities….none will go to the first team.

29 minutes ago, Redtaz2 said:

Fight fight fight 

????

RJ stop winding them up, it is obviously a sport for you but at times it’s just too easy 

He didn’t answer the question so I had obviously knocked him out with that one. 
I actually joined this site to get involved in football matters but was greeted with hostility and hatred even though I hadn’t any previous with the majority of posters.