Aberdeen 1 - 1 Sevco

15 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Bought my very first pint of beer there.

5 of us had been playing snooker at place down haebour, canna mind what it was called.

Next to st clements (which had marvellous strippers on a Thursday I think).

Anyhoo, we're all 15/16, but all tall.

Dithered about at roundabout, then said fuck it, just pile in.

I went up to the bar and said 5 pints Tenants, ye cunt.*

Had a minimal amount of pints there, maybe a round each, then after a wander about strolled into the Butchers Arms.

5 pints of lager please.

>>> Awa and fuck, you loons are nae auld enough.

Doh.

*To impose my authority.

*I didn't really.

Fit wis the murder story again?

Sort of recall this.

3 butchers went in for a swifter on their break from working at the slaughterhouse down the road (wales street?). Out of the blue one of them brandishes a knife and started slashing one of the others. Think he stabbed somebody trying to intervene too. That area is rife for murder within Aberdeen folklore, reading a book about it at the minute. Loads of incidents around justice street, Urquhart road, commerce street etc. Anyway the murderer was committed to an insane asylum for the rest of his days.

edit to add this was at the turn of the 20th century, approximately 110 years before our opponents on Tuesday existed 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

3 butchers went in for a swifter on their break from working at the slaughterhouse down the road (wales street?). Out of the blue one of them brandishes a knife and started slashing one of the others. Think he stabbed somebody trying to intervene too. That area is rife for murder within Aberdeen folklore, reading a book about it at the minute. Loads of incidents around justice street, Urquhart road, commerce street etc. Anyway the murderer was committed to an insane asylum for the rest of his days.

edit to add this was at the turn of the 20th century, approximately 110 years before our opponents on Tuesday existed 

Ace story.

I think I have a book about Aberdeen murders somewhere.
Don't think I've read the whole thing yet. Fuck knows far it is.

Blood and Granite? Something like that.

Edit, just found this:

Butcher's knife attack killed two workmates.

Byline: NEIL DRYSDALE

For two Aberdeen slaughterhouse workers, what should have been a relaxing conclusion to a gruelling shift of physical labour instead turned into a notorious double murder.

There had been no indication of lethal violence when James Harrow, 33, William Tastard, 44, and John "Jeek" Rae, a youngster whose age was unknown, walked into the Saltoun Arms on Park Street late in the evening of January 9 1901.

Yet, within the space of a few minutes, Harrow unveiled a knife which he had wrapped in a newspaper, lashed out at Tastard and inflicted fatal injuries, before critically wounding another butcher, David Ewing, 29, who died from his wounds weeks later.

Harrow, whom witnesses subsequently recalled as acting like a man possessed, then took the knife to his other drinking partner, Rae. But the latter managed to throw his jacket over the weapon and fled.

The next morning, the Aberdeen Journal extensively covered the grisly details of what had transpired at the pub, as the police, led by Chief Constable Thomas Wyness, accompanied by Dr James Moncur, rushed to a scene of carnage.

The paper's headlines read "Terrible Tragedy in Aberdeen", "Butcher Stabbed to Death" and "Another Man Dangerously Wounded" were followed by news of the "speedy apprehension of the alleged murderer who escaped, but was caught within the hour".

It continued with a description of the injuries by Chief Constable Wyness, who said: "I have seen a few ugly (knife) gashes in the course of my 40 years' experience, but never did I see such a wound on a man who is still alive. Why, you could have put your hand in it."

Mr Ewing was taken to the infirmary in Woolmanhill, and the father of a 10-year-old daughter continued to battle for the next few days.

He finally succumbed to "traumatic delirium and inflammation of the lungs" on January 13.

Harrow, a moody individual who was arrested near the pub at 61 Park Street where he lived with his mother, had shown no indication of being angry with his victims prior to the attack.

On the contrary, the barman and customers later reported that the three butchers, who came into the bar at around 10.30pm, did not become involved in any argument.

Yet, after taking offence at a remark from Mr Tastard, Harrow pounced on the older man, produced his weapon and stabbed him twice - in the neck and in the chest.

Even after he was apprehended at 11.45pm while preparing his supper, he showed no emotion while being cautioned by officers.

The Evening Express later remarked that he seemed indifferent to what was happening, doing nothing beyond confirming his name, age, address and occupation.

And he remained similarly calm and unflustered as he was locked up in a cell.

The first victim was a bachelor who lived with his elderly mother at 13 Marischal Street, which lay near to the docks, and it emerged this was merely the latest tragedy which had befallen the ill-starred Tastard clan.

His mum had been the owner of a butcher's shop in Shiprow, and she was well known in the local community for cooking a range of tasty dishes, including potted head and haggis, but she had retired by the time of her son's murder.

In the previous two years, she had not only been widowed and lost both her daughter and her son-inlaw, but her eldest son, James, had drowned in a bathing accident at the Falls of Feugh in Banchory two decades earlier.

William Tastard's funeral took place on Sunday January 13 and the scale of the commemorations was unprecedented.

As the Aberdeen Journal reported the following morning: "From end to end, Union Street was packed with people, the police estimating that upwards of 40,000 witnessed the cortege pass along the streets to the churchyard.

"From the steps of the

Music Hall, the Young Men's Christian Institute, and from many vantage grounds, the sympathetic spectators witnessed the pathetic procession."

It was difficult for investigators in the case to find any reason why Harrow had resorted to such appalling acts of violence.

Acquaintances described him as a loner, a man who preferred his own company as he scouted the racing pages in search of a punt, while nursing a schooner or two of beer.

Almost right up to the events in January 120 years ago, he and Mr Tastard were not only on friendly terms, but had actually enjoyed dinner together at the victim's home.

He was the foreman butcher, while Harrow, who had worked at the slaughterhouse since his teenage years, had proved himself a reliable, if morose, member of staff.

However, in the second half of 1900, he had found his workload gradually diminishing, while jobs were handed out to other people and he complained volubly about his treatment.

Mr Tastard denied there was any favouritism in this, but Harrow started feeling persecuted and a grudge gradually developed between the two parties. The animosity intensified during the festive season when Harrow was heard making threats against the foreman, but although these were conveyed to the latter, he refused to take them seriously.

"

26 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Ace story.

I think I have a book about Aberdeen murders somewhere.
Don't think I've read the whole thing yet. Fuck knows far it is.

Blood and Granite? Something like that.

Edit, just found this:

Butcher's knife attack killed two workmates.

Byline: NEIL DRYSDALE

For two Aberdeen slaughterhouse workers, what should have been a relaxing conclusion to a gruelling shift of physical labour instead turned into a notorious double murder.

There had been no indication of lethal violence when James Harrow, 33, William Tastard, 44, and John "Jeek" Rae, a youngster whose age was unknown, walked into the Saltoun Arms on Park Street late in the evening of January 9 1901.

Yet, within the space of a few minutes, Harrow unveiled a knife which he had wrapped in a newspaper, lashed out at Tastard and inflicted fatal injuries, before critically wounding another butcher, David Ewing, 29, who died from his wounds weeks later.

Harrow, whom witnesses subsequently recalled as acting like a man possessed, then took the knife to his other drinking partner, Rae. But the latter managed to throw his jacket over the weapon and fled.

The next morning, the Aberdeen Journal extensively covered the grisly details of what had transpired at the pub, as the police, led by Chief Constable Thomas Wyness, accompanied by Dr James Moncur, rushed to a scene of carnage.

The paper's headlines read "Terrible Tragedy in Aberdeen", "Butcher Stabbed to Death" and "Another Man Dangerously Wounded" were followed by news of the "speedy apprehension of the alleged murderer who escaped, but was caught within the hour".

It continued with a description of the injuries by Chief Constable Wyness, who said: "I have seen a few ugly (knife) gashes in the course of my 40 years' experience, but never did I see such a wound on a man who is still alive. Why, you could have put your hand in it."

Mr Ewing was taken to the infirmary in Woolmanhill, and the father of a 10-year-old daughter continued to battle for the next few days.

He finally succumbed to "traumatic delirium and inflammation of the lungs" on January 13.

Harrow, a moody individual who was arrested near the pub at 61 Park Street where he lived with his mother, had shown no indication of being angry with his victims prior to the attack.

On the contrary, the barman and customers later reported that the three butchers, who came into the bar at around 10.30pm, did not become involved in any argument.

Yet, after taking offence at a remark from Mr Tastard, Harrow pounced on the older man, produced his weapon and stabbed him twice - in the neck and in the chest.

Even after he was apprehended at 11.45pm while preparing his supper, he showed no emotion while being cautioned by officers.

The Evening Express later remarked that he seemed indifferent to what was happening, doing nothing beyond confirming his name, age, address and occupation.

And he remained similarly calm and unflustered as he was locked up in a cell.

The first victim was a bachelor who lived with his elderly mother at 13 Marischal Street, which lay near to the docks, and it emerged this was merely the latest tragedy which had befallen the ill-starred Tastard clan.

His mum had been the owner of a butcher's shop in Shiprow, and she was well known in the local community for cooking a range of tasty dishes, including potted head and haggis, but she had retired by the time of her son's murder.

In the previous two years, she had not only been widowed and lost both her daughter and her son-inlaw, but her eldest son, James, had drowned in a bathing accident at the Falls of Feugh in Banchory two decades earlier.

William Tastard's funeral took place on Sunday January 13 and the scale of the commemorations was unprecedented.

As the Aberdeen Journal reported the following morning: "From end to end, Union Street was packed with people, the police estimating that upwards of 40,000 witnessed the cortege pass along the streets to the churchyard.

"From the steps of the

Music Hall, the Young Men's Christian Institute, and from many vantage grounds, the sympathetic spectators witnessed the pathetic procession."

It was difficult for investigators in the case to find any reason why Harrow had resorted to such appalling acts of violence.

Acquaintances described him as a loner, a man who preferred his own company as he scouted the racing pages in search of a punt, while nursing a schooner or two of beer.

Almost right up to the events in January 120 years ago, he and Mr Tastard were not only on friendly terms, but had actually enjoyed dinner together at the victim's home.

He was the foreman butcher, while Harrow, who had worked at the slaughterhouse since his teenage years, had proved himself a reliable, if morose, member of staff.

However, in the second half of 1900, he had found his workload gradually diminishing, while jobs were handed out to other people and he complained volubly about his treatment.

Mr Tastard denied there was any favouritism in this, but Harrow started feeling persecuted and a grudge gradually developed between the two parties. The animosity intensified during the festive season when Harrow was heard making threats against the foreman, but although these were conveyed to the latter, he refused to take them seriously.

"

Aye that’s the same book. Enjoyable read, makes it much more interesting reading about places you can relate to. Boy must have been starving, preparing his supper at midnight. 

1 hour ago, muttonhumper said:

5 of us had been playing snooker at place down haebour, canna mind what it was called.

Had a minimal amount of pints there, maybe a round each, then after a wander about strolled into the Butchers Arms.

5 pints of lager please.

Doh.

*To impose my authority.

*I didn't really.

Sort of recall this.

You must be Benjamin Button then as you're a fucking midget these days.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Probably the worst joke I've ever read.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

5 pints of lager please.

Doh.

*To impose my authority.

*I didn't really.

Sort of recall this.

The snooker club was the Ambassador..before it moved up to John Street in the mid 80s...owned by a weeg tink Alan.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I've got a spare adult and under 16's ticket for this that I'll not be using. 

If anyone wants them or knows anyone who would make use of them, send me a DM. I'm not wanting anything for them  

Before anyone asks, no, they're not next to my seat ?

Who’s the boy that got the cup final tickets again, that was an amusing side story on the hat a while

14 minutes ago, Poodler said:

Who’s the boy that got the cup final tickets again, that was an amusing side story on the hat a while

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The boy I gave the cup final tickets to years ago? Just a young laddie and his dad. No amusing story. 

I'm not sure what you mean? 

That was Wull afc, I believe. Rocket bought his tickets 

27 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

Lewis

Ramsay McCrorie bates mackenzie

Ferguson   Brown   Polvara

Hedges     Ramirez   Hayes

Can see Brown playing in defence in this one, Leanne Crichton was saying just that on the radio, it could be an exciting match if Polvara links up well with the Ram

2 hours ago, Dave Bus said:

Lewis

Ramsay McCrorie bates mackenzie

Ferguson   Brown   Polvara

Hedges     Ramirez   Hayes

MacKenzie definitely fit yet? 

Even if he is, he'll be rusty as hell with the time he's been out so I'd stick with Hayes there.

Think Jenks will likely get the nod to start and maybe Campbell to make a surprise appearance 

Polvara will be on the bench at best. 

12 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

MacKenzie definitely fit yet? 

Even if he is, he'll be rusty as hell with the time he's been out so I'd stick with Hayes there.

Think Jenks will likely get the nod to start and maybe Campbell to make a surprise appearance 

Polvara will be on the bench at best. 

Polvara posted on instagram yesterday from the states, doubftul hes even in the country yet. 

1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

Get the bunting out as it will be like a new signing. Hopefully McGrath makes this match also. Ferguson might well be kept out of this one.

McGrath is being signed on a pre-contract, so won't see him till the summer. (if at all)

Ferguson loves a goal against the Huns. Nobody could question his work rate and commitment vs the Huns. 

3 at the back for this one maybe

Lewis

McCrorie Brown Bates

Ramsay Ferguson Ojo Hayes

Hedges Jenks

Ramirez

Ojo always plays and Glass seems to like Jenks for some reason. Whether Kennedy makes the bench is of no relevance - he's no better or worse than the likes of McLennan or sadly even McGinn nowadays. 

I'm not convinced Polvara will even be on the bench for the first month after he arrives whenever that is. Maybe he'll get a wee cameo or two at the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, Don_Corleone said:

I'm not convinced Polvara will even be on the bench for the first month after he arrives whenever that is. Maybe he'll get a wee cameo or two at the end of the season. 

We kinda thought the same of Ferguson when he arrived from Hamilton, but showed from the off he deserved a starting spot.

Lets see, but willing to give him time if need be