Sign in to follow this  
Matt Armstrong's Dog

Random Thought of the Day....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Roberto said:

What came first, the fruit orange or colour orange

Easy.

The fruit.

Oranges are green until they ripen then turn orange.

Question to answer is what we’re they called before the first one became ripe.

Edited by The Boofon

What was static electricity called before electricity was discovered?

5 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

Schrödingers Cat paradox is my favourite paradox. 

I prefer their muscle soak bubble bath. 

1 hour ago, The Boofon said:

What was static electricity called before electricity was discovered?

Magic

1 hour ago, The Boofon said:

Easy.

The fruit.

That means the colour came first then

How do records work. I mean seriously how the fuck can you record a song and then transpose it onto to vinyl

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Fridge said:

How do records work. I mean seriously how the fuck can you record a song and then transpose it onto to vinyl

“ To understand the genius behind vinyl you first need to understand how sound waves work. Sounds are produced by vibrations and travel through the air as waves, which are vibrating particles. The waves transfer energy from the source of the sound out to its surroundings. Your ear detects sound waves when vibrating air particles cause your eardrum to vibrate. The bigger the vibrations the louder the sound. The grooves you can see on a vinyl record are actually sound waves or more like a type of fingerprint of the sound waves captured in a lacquer disc that we call a vinyl record. These three-dimensional grooves cut in the vinyl record are a recording of how the sound waves behave as they move through the air.A typical record player has a type of needle called a stylus that is placed gently on the vinyl record resting in the beginning of one of the grooves. As the vinyl disc steadily rotates the stylus moves through the wavy three dimensional grooves. The stylus is a tiny crystal of sapphire or diamond mounted at the very end of a lightweight metal bar like a needle. As the crystal vibrates in the groove, its microscopic bounces are transmitted down the bar. The stylus fits onto the end of an electromagnetic device called a cartridge, containing a piezoelectric crystal. The metal bar presses against the crystal and each time it moves, it wobbles the crystal slightly, generating an electrical signal. These signals are fed out to the amplifier to make the sounds you hear through your speakers or headphones. Not all record-player cartridges use piezoelectricity to convert sound vibrations to electrical signals. Some have tiny electrical coils and a magnet inside them. When the stylus moves, it pushes the magnet up and down past the coil, generating electrical signals that are fed to the amplifier to create sound through your speakers. “

Edited by Sooper-hanz

Just now, Sooper-hanz said:

“A typical record player has a type of needle called a stylus that is placed gently on the vinyl record resting in the beginning of one of the grooves. As the vinyl disc steadily rotates the stylus moves through the wavy three dimensional grooves. The stylus is a tiny crystal of sapphire or diamond mounted at the very end of a lightweight metal bar like a needle. As the crystal vibrates in the groove, its microscopic bounces are transmitted down the bar. The stylus fits onto the end of an electromagnetic device called a cartridge, containing a piezoelectric crystal. The metal bar presses against the crystal and each time it moves, it wobbles the crystal slightly, generating an electrical signal. These signals are fed out to the amplifier to make the sounds you hear through your speakers or headphones. Not all record-player cartridges use piezoelectricity to convert sound vibrations to electrical signals. Some have tiny electrical coils and a magnet inside them. When the stylus moves, it pushes the magnet up and down past the coil, generating electrical signals that are fed to the amplifier to create sound through your speakers. “

Cheers min, that clears that right up, might go and record some songs today

43 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

That means the colour came first then

Nope.

Unless carrots were already on the go before oranges. Difficult to tell.

43 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Nope.

Unless carrots were already on the go before oranges. Difficult to tell.

Why did they call them oranges then?

Before Oranges were invented the colour orange was called yellow-red or just red.

32 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

No idea.

3 hours ago, The Boofon said:

Easy.

The fruit.

Indeed but how did they know what colour orange was to call the fruit orange?

And how did they know the colour was green before ripening?

Massive "Facebook da" vibes about this entire thread. 

Soon be time for a “what did call this where you grew up?” spectacular, or the annual rowie/roll/whogivesafuckery.

21 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Indeed but how did they know what colour orange was to call the fruit orange?

And how did they know the colour was green before ripening?

Green has been on the go long before orange min.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, milne_afc said:

Soon be time for a “what did call this where you grew up?” spectacular, or the annual rowie/roll/whogivesafuckery.

Chippy FWIW

Just now, The Boofon said:

Green has been on the go long before orange min.

Some good green going about in Aberdeen currently I am told.

1 minute ago, Roberto said:

Some good green going about in Aberdeen currently I am told.

Get me some

1 minute ago, manboobs109 said:

Get me some

Next time you're in Aberdeen, give me a shout and I can arrange.

Or pay petrol and I'll deliver.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Arabian Knight said:

https://medium.com/crimes-that-shocked-britain/charlene-downes-killed-for-kebab-meat-175e8039f4bb

cunt yed hae dodgy guts efter wan o they kebabs..skitterin aw ower eh plice..n yit nae cunt complaind tae eh shoap thi tasted funny..shows ye thit pyshed cuntll eat onyhin

Reads like it was written by an 8 year old. 

( the article)

Edited by Sooper-hanz

7 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Next time you're in Aberdeen, give me a shout and I can arrange.

Or pay petrol and I'll deliver.

Cheers for the offer min. The state of my chest I'm probably better taking a week off it though.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, manboobs109 said:

Semantics, Moobs min. In other words, it's accepted as being fact, therefore  bona fide knowledge.

However, I am a fan of scepticism, the art of forever challenging what is commonly accepted as fact and knowledge, therefore your question is spot on and entirely valid.. 

Edited by Matt Armstrong's Dog

For me it depends on whether or not the Latin word ( naranje(?)) and it’s derivatives referred to the colour or not.Un naranj‘ became ‘ un aranj’ ( as the n was thought to be part of ‘un’) aranj became oranj/ orange.

Something like that.

6 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

For me it depends on whether or not the Latin word ( naranje(?)) and it’s derivatives referred to the colour or not.Un naranj‘ became ‘ un aranj’ ( as the n was thought to be part of ‘un’) aranj became oranj/ orange.

Something like that.

Bluto would be the man to decipher that.