Connor Barron

17 minutes ago, Poodler said:

Rose tinted glasses. Historically 9/10ths of our history has been average!

Aye, those 8 or so years in the 80s have really skewed Aberdeen fans perspective of the club as a whole. 

We'd won hardly anything up till then, and won barely anything since.  

I do think we have underachieved throughout our history though, in that we're a one club city and a large encatchment area. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

Aye, those 8 or so years in the 80s have really skewed Aberdeen fans perspective of the club as a whole. 

I do think we have underachieved throughout our history though, in that we're a one club city and a large encatchment area. 

Watching the Alex Ferguson documentary on channel 4 at the weekend and Gordon Strachan was on it saying Aberdeen's ambition before Fergie arrived was to possibly win a Cup every 6 or 7 years.

We've not even achieved that since Fergie left.

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

AFC will be 120 years old next year, we have won 19 major trophies in our history and 11 of them came in a 10 year spell between 76 and 86.

In the other 109 years we have won 8 trophies.

Take that amazing 10 years out of the equation and we average 1 trophy every 13 and a half years. By that law of averages we should be on course to win another cup around 2027/2028 ?

2 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

AFC will be 120 years old next year, we have won 19 major trophies in our history and 11 of them came in a 10 year spell between 76 and 86.

Take that amazing 10 years out of the equation and we average 1 trophy every 13 and a half years. By that law of averages we should be on course to win another cup around 2027/2028 ?

That's a fucking depressing stat. 

Club have surely learned from failing to sell players during the Milne era.

If Barron does not want to sign a contract then he has to go in the next 14 months.

I'd presume however that there is a deal to be done with an increased wage and a percentage of any transfer fee plus we know he'll still be worth £500k or so as late as July 2024 so it's not on par with Ryan Jack and potential Lewis Ferguson situation.

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

Club have surely learned from failing to sell players during the Milne era.

If Barron does not want to sign a contract then he has to go in the next 14 months.

I'd presume however that there is a deal to be done with an increased wage and a percentage of any transfer fee plus we know he'll still be worth £500k or so as late as July 2024 so it's not on par with Ryan Jack and potential Lewis Ferguson situation.

Also I'm not convinced he's all that yet. All that being defined as having a higher ceiling than Jack, Shinie, McLean and Ferguson.

1 hour ago, The D.O.C.1903 said:

That's a fucking depressing stat. 

For me the most depressing stats are last league win outside the ‘OF’ (will stay clear of Oldco arguments for this one) is Aberdeen 83-84, the ‘OF’ have won 85% of the league titles in Scotland and >60% of ALL the trophies. So it means all of the rest of the teams are pretty much as ‘crap’ as us over the course of the past 140odd years….. we are all hanging in there for the odd cup win as sadly things have tilted more towards them and the likelihood of an 80’s era where we had several strong sides seems very slim indeed. ?

2 minutes ago, Gbe67 said:

For me the most depressing stats are last league win outside the ‘OF’ (will stay clear of Oldco arguments for this one) is Aberdeen 83-84, the ‘OF’ have won 85% of the league titles in Scotland and >60% of ALL the trophies. So it means all of the rest of the teams are pretty much as ‘crap’ as us over the course of the past 140odd years….. we are all hanging in there for the odd cup win as sadly things have tilted more towards them and the likelihood of an 80’s era where we had several strong sides seems very slim indeed. ?

It's why the Fergie era should never be underestimated. Completely unprecedented and unrepeated dominance for 5 or 6 years over the rest of Scottish football. 

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Gbe67 said:

84-85 chief...........

39 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's why the Fergie era should never be underestimated. Completely unprecedented and unrepeated dominance for 5 or 6 years over the rest of Scottish football. 

Everyone that lived through that era should cherish it forever as its something neither us or any other Scottish team outside the gruesome twosome will ever do again. It's the one real bragging right we have over every other non old firm team. Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd etc... their fans have never and will never experience the joy of how it feels to see their team dominate not only Scottish football, but Europe too.

As has been said, take that era out of the equation and we're as bang average as every other team. Thankfully we never have to take that era out of the equation as it happened, it happened to us and we will live with those amazing memories forever.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Watching the Alex Ferguson documentary on channel 4 at the weekend and Gordon Strachan was on it saying Aberdeen's ambition before Fergie arrived was to possibly win a Cup every 6 or 7 years.

We've not even achieved that since Fergie left.

I wouldn't believe anything that self-serving sleekit *, wee gobshite says. I'll be generous and let him off with getting ambition confused with expectation.

Great player for us and an absolutely vital part of our glory days. But for what he's become (and especially his calls for rules to be ignored to allow the huns straight back in to the top flight) he can fuck off. 

I can easily warm to the post-Dons-player McGhee more than Strachan.

* thanks @ericblack4boss

Scottish football isn't competitive because literally no-one in authority wants it to be competitive. 

This is how it has been, and this is how it will be. 

If the clubs found their collective nuts they could be in a league that actually lets them win stuff, and the Glasgow Mafia would be pretty much neutered. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Also I'm not convinced he's all that yet. All that being defined as having a higher ceiling than Jack, Shinie, McLean and Ferguson.

He's showing a lot of promise , could just be another Barry Nicholoson type which is no bad thing but not exceptional. Hopefully we get to see. him develop for us in the next couple of years 

24 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Scottish football isn't competitive because literally no-one in authority wants it to be competitive. 

This is how it has been, and this is how it will be. 

If the clubs found their collective nuts they could be in a league that actually lets them win stuff, and the Glasgow Mafia would be pretty much neutered. 

Exactly, Scottish Football isn’t a competition, it’s a financial and economic duopoly based on sectarianism disguised as sport. 

It’s a shite state of affairs…  

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

From 1980-89 

Four different clubs won the league.

4 different clubs won the Scottish cup.

League cup again 4 .

2 European win.

1 final.

2 semi finals 

3 different clubs reached qtr finals 

Fixed it for you 

18 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Everyone that lived through that era should cherish it forever as its something neither us or any other Scottish team outside the gruesome twosome will ever do again. It's the one real bragging right we have over every other non old firm team. Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd etc... their fans have never and will never experience the joy of how it feels to see their team dominate not only Scottish football, but Europe too.

As has been said, take that era out of the equation and we're as bang average as every other team. Thankfully we never have to take that era out of the equation as it happened, it happened to us and we will live with those amazing memories forever.

You older folk will. The rest of us don't remember any of it. We can take pride in it, but it's not ours in the same way. All we've got is a couple of league cups spread out over a lifetime, and the hope that we might sneak a Scottish cup some day.

If the club sell ‘out’ on BOTH Ramsay & Barron this window then they may as well switch off the lights & pocket the cash & admit to everyone they have just given up on ever actually competing in Scotland again. The gruesome twosome have finally killed is off as well & there is no road back

don't agree with that sentiment...if we sell Barron to Celtic, it will be a tough one to accept...but selling Ramsay to Liverpool, Barron to another club outside of Scotland for the right price is simply the reality of the football heirachy. Every club in Scotland is a selling club, most teams outside of the 'bigger' teams in each leauge are selling clubs...it's the econimic reality that we need to sell players but the model that is trying to be executed is re-investment in the broader European market with a view of bringing in players that can do well for us, form (hopefully) part of a winning team for a few years and then they are also sold on for a profit.

The youth system has more recently started to deliver financial gains but ideally we'd have the 2-3 full seasons of our best young players at the club in the first team...but to some extent, if a player wants to leave and there is a decent bid on the table, we may have to sell at an earlier stage. If Barron is sold for £3-4m, Ramsay £5-8m (inc add ons), Ferguson £2m ish....£10m income is signficant and if £2-3m is reinvested in the squad and the recruitment is good, I don't think that means we can't build a decent team that can compete.

7 minutes ago, True_Don said:

don't agree with that sentiment...if we sell Barron to Celtic, it will be a tough one to accept...but selling Ramsay to Liverpool, Barron to another club outside of Scotland for the right price is simply the reality of the football heirachy. Every club in Scotland is a selling club, most teams outside of the 'bigger' teams in each leauge are selling clubs...it's the econimic reality that we need to sell players but the model that is trying to be executed is re-investment in the broader European market with a view of bringing in players that can do well for us, form (hopefully) part of a winning team for a few years and then they are also sold on for a profit.

The youth system has more recently started to deliver financial gains but ideally we'd have the 2-3 full seasons of our best young players at the club in the first team...but to some extent, if a player wants to leave and there is a decent bid on the table, we may have to sell at an earlier stage. If Barron is sold for £3-4m, Ramsay £5-8m (inc add ons), Ferguson £2m ish....£10m income is signficant and if £2-3m is reinvested in the squad and the recruitment is good, I don't think that means we can't build a decent team that can compete.

I fully understand the stradegy and prawcess but in this particular instance, specifically around Barron, I disagree that selling him after one season for £3-4m is the right thing to do. 

54 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

I fully understand the stradegy and prawcess but in this particular instance, specifically around Barron, I disagree that selling him after one season for £3-4m is the right thing to do. 

No chance anyone would offer 3-4m at this stage, with 2 years left. This is Celtic and Genk looking at a cheap punt. Sadly the player would probably multiply his wages by 5 times so we need to close that gap with him

On 6/7/2022 at 11:58 AM, zeroisgod76 said:

We've had 25 years of a 10 team/12 team top league now and that's absolutely killed any chance of a provincial team ever winning it unfortunately.

Cups we should have done better in over that period really.

1 hour ago, Rico1903 said:

The club need to state he’s not for sale and extend his contract with new terms. If winning trophies is a genuine target that is. 

Totally agree it's too early to think of selling Barron.

But really depends on whether the lad is settled for now and willing to sign another contract extension.

On 6/7/2022 at 7:28 PM, StandFree1982 said:

That's 90% of misery watching the Dons.

If those figures were applied to say watching an average stripper for 90 minutes, we wouldnt still be staring and clapping and hoping she gets thinner next week.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:58 AM, zeroisgod76 said:

Why? It happened. Most clubs have a glut of trophies during successful spells.