Connor Barron

2 hours ago, Bamber said:

Who you dropping for this?

Ramadani? Mcrorie? one of our forward players? Dropping Mcrorie back into defence play two right footers in Defence? pushing scale out wide a player that doesnt cross? two right footers was something Goodwin saw as an issue last season? Why would you want two similar players in midfield? as it happens I have to question who is dropped for Clarkson never mind Clarkson AND Barron

Roos

McCrorie Stewart Scales

Richardson Barron Ramadani Clarkson Hayes

Besoujin Miovski

Ramadani sitting, with Barron and Clarkson freedom to do whatever they like. Besoujin dropping into the 10 position supporting Miovski. Freedom for Richardson and Hayes to bomb forward knowing that Ramadani is sitting and McCrorie and Scales have plenty pace to cover.

That team destroys most in this league. 

I know 3 at the back has seldom worked in the past but I think we've maybe got the personnel to do it now.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Roos

McCrorie Stewart Scales

Richardson Barron Ramadani Clarkson Hayes

Besoujin Miovski

Ramadani sitting, with Barron and Clarkson freedom to do whatever they like. Besoujin dropping into the 10 position supporting Miovski. Freedom for Richardson and Hayes to bomb forward knowing that Ramadani is sitting and McCrorie and Scales have plenty pace to cover.

That team destroys most in this league. 

I know 3 at the back has seldom worked in the past but I think we've maybe got the personnel to do it now.

Not going to disagree, it does look like a cracking line up. However, Goodwin has stated more than once he wants to play a back four so suspect he’s pretty committed to it. 

34 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

Not going to disagree, it does look like a cracking line up. However, Goodwin has stated more than once he wants to play a back four so suspect he’s pretty committed to it. 

Yeah, I'm aware of that, so probably never going to happen - just think it's the best formation to accommodate all our best players. Probably going to be very few games in the season when our first pick 11 are all going to be available anyway I guess.

13 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that, so probably never going to happen - just think it's the best formation to accommodate all our best players. Probably going to be very few games in the season when our first pick 11 are all going to be available anyway I guess.

We don't have enough competent centre backs to commit to 3 at the back. 

If even one of those gets injured/suspended then the whole deck of cards comes crashing down as you need to rely on Bates and Milne to cover 

Spending large portions of the budget to bring in centre backs you don't really need is also an issue.  You probably need 5 decent centre backs to carry that formation on a consistent basis 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If even one of those gets injured/suspended then the whole deck of cards comes crashing down as you need to rely on Bates and Milne to cover 

Spending large portions of the budget to bring in centre backs you don't really need is also an issue.  You probably need 5 decent centre backs to carry that formation on a consistent basis 

That's true - however if in the unlikely event we have all 11 of the players mentioned above fit at the same time, that formation is the way to incorporate them all in the starting line up. The likelihood is there's always going to be one or two missing, so the present formation is fine. 

I'd like to think we could switch between formations from time to time, but obviously it's better to have a favoured setup we stick with most weeks so the players get used to playing it. 

3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I thought you played 3 at the back for exactly the reason that the centre backs are not competent enough. 

6 minutes ago, Redtillimdead said:

I thought you played 3 at the back for exactly the reason that the centre backs are not competent enough. 

What I meant was that if you want to implement a 3 at the back as a regular system then you need a fair amount of centre backs on the books to make sure you have cover without having to chop and change every time one is missing. 

That was the downfall of McInnes' 3 at the back.  We basically flogged Hogan, Taylor and Considine as we didn't have any decent cover.  And when they were out we were shoehorning other players into the back 3 with a deteriorating effect. 

And I'd rather spend the budget on attacking players rather than stockpile centre backs anyway. We're Aberdeen and we should be attacking most teams in this league, nae fanning about with 3 centre backs and wing backs. 

• Upvote 1

3 at the back must be the worst possible formation for our squad. No centre back cover and wouldn’t suit the many wingers we now have. Let’s sign another centre back, consistently play 4-2-3-1, and when there’s a player unavailable try to directly replace them rather than tweaking half the team like last season. Simple 

On Saturday, Clarkson showed Barron exactly how he should be playing the game. 

Taking responsibility, aggressive intent, looking to move the team forward at every opportunity, and a cracking goal. 

Barron has the potential to be a fine player but I felt last season after his first game or two, he got sucked into playing far too deep, playing too many sideways passes, and generally offering nothing in an attacking sense. 

That's not blaming him for anything, I suppose that he was effected by the general malaise of utter shiteness that hang around the side in every single game. 

I hope he was looking at Clakson's performance and thinking 'that's how I'm going to do it'. 

As it stands, I'm not sure there's a place for him in the side even when he gets back to fitness. Clarkson looks made for this job, and if he keeps up the level he showed on Saturday he'll be undropable. 

6 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

On Saturday, Clarkson showed Barron exactly how he should be playing the game. 

Taking responsibility, aggressive intent, looking to move the team forward at every opportunity, and a cracking goal. 

Barron has the potential to be a fine player but I felt last season after his first game or two, he got sucked into playing far too deep, playing too many sideways passes, and generally offering nothing in an attacking sense. 

That's not blaming him for anything, I suppose that he was effected by the general malaise of utter shiteness that hang around the side in every single game. 

I hope he was looking at Clakson's performance and thinking 'that's how I'm going to do it'. 

As it stands, I'm not sure there's a place for him in the side even when he gets back to fitness. Clarkson looks made for this job, and if he keeps up the level he showed on Saturday he'll be undropable. 

Which Ferguson rarely did and should have.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

What's the issue then?

What "issue" is there?

Contract talks opened on the 22nd of June (if you go off the news)

Using Considine as a reference point the club offered a deal on Feb 10th, and his agent coutnered that on the 23rd of March (Granted there was a change in management between then). This all came to light at start of April so it may take a bit of time for the deal to be agreed etc.

See I flip it the other way.  With the start we've had (relative to last season) and the apparent quality we've brought in Goodwin's essentially saying to him "Why would you not want to sign?"

I know the contract stuff wont be Goodwin directly and equally the answer to that question is 1/ Connor wants to play every week and 2/  Connor would like many spondoolah for doing so but really, what else can Goodwin do?  

He was good on the commentary, he could see what we needed to be doing (like Considine would do) and could tell he was pissed that he wasn't out there making a difference. Interesting that when he was asked about Roos he said he didn't want to say anything because "Sammy" (Samson?) would accuse him of blaming the keeper or something along those lines

14 minutes ago, Russell said:

He was good on the commentary, he could see what we needed to be doing (like Considine would do) and could tell he was pissed that he wasn't out there making a difference. Interesting that when he was asked about Roos he said he didn't want to say anything because "Sammy" (Samson?) would accuse him of blaming the keeper or something along those lines

When is he back ?

10 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Connor Barron should've been handed the captaincy. He'll walk into this team no problem, in pretty much any of the 11 positions. 

Could also take JG's place. His options are pretty limitless really. Would imagine his new contract will have all these stipulations in them & this is what is delaying it because JG fears for his job

9 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Could also take JG's place. His options are pretty limitless really. Would imagine his new contract will have all these stipulations in them & this is what is delaying it because JG fears for his job

He's also lined up as Rob McLean's replacement on commentary when he's injured, and will take serve pies at half time rather than listen to Goodwins chat.