Connor Barron

19 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Ah well, that's the Barron thread going the same way as the Ferguson and Ramsay threads.

Reduced to just chat about money rather than performances.

Didn't take long, about 10 starts.

We are in an incredible position though with Barron as absolutely zero need to sell

Would take a proper (and I'm not being facetious here) £10m plus offer I would think

He is the absolute real deal and I cannot wait to watch him next year

Surely the right way of looking at it is just how fruitful our youth policy is nowadays 

Insanely good

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

There has to be a balance between being a selling club and being ambitious, looking to build a team to be proud of

Yep.

We should really be looking to get a couple of seasons out of young players before selling them on if the right offer is made.

But to do that we need to keep them under contract and happy.

I'd be really disappointed to lose Barron at this stage, he's only just beginning to make his mark.

1 minute ago, Helmet said:

Yep.

We should really be looking to get a couple of seasons out of young players before selling them on if the right offer is made.

But to do that we need to keep them under contract and happy.

I'd be really disappointed to lose Barron at this stage, he's only just beginning to make his mark.

The counter balance though is they could look amazing initially and then stall or regress

It's not a simple formula for everyone of introduce to first team, play for 3 seasons then sell

Cosgrove is the classic example of that

Sell high

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Millertime said:

The counter balance though is they could look amazing initially and then stall or regress

It's not a simple formula for everyone of introduce to first team, play for 3 seasons then sell

Cosgrove is the classic example of that

Sell high

The club has to have a good idea of the ones that come through the youth system you'd think.

But yes there are definitely times when you just have to take the money and move on.

The ideal is to sell one good player a year, rather than 3 or 4 in the same year. Then we've got a chance of replacing them.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Millertime said:

We are in an incredible position though with Barron as absolutely zero need to sell

Would take a proper (and I'm not being facetious here) £10m plus offer I would think

Surely the right way of looking at it is just how fruitful our youth policy is nowadays 

Insanely good

Stop exaggerating.

14 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Insanely good

He was brilliant yesterday against the Belgiums and his own age group , really stood out 

26 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Insanely good

Yeah the youth policy is definitely starting to perform which is fantastic as it needs to be the lifeblood of the club. 

Would be good to keep some of them in our first team for more than a season though so we don't have to trawl around every summer for loads of  first team players but maybe I'm being greedy! 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Ah well, that's the Barron thread going the same way as the Ferguson and Ramsay threads.

Reduced to just chat about money rather than performances.

Didn't take long, about 10 starts.

Modern fitba really is shite

2 minutes ago, Zander1903 said:

if the Ramsey fee is factual that sets the tone for any youngsters with potential 

Yep, will hopefully set a precedent that we don’t let our talent go on the cheap-and scare off the tims and huns, as they always try to low ball the rest of Scottish fitba-cunts.

Barron will not be sold on the cheap. No chance. Not when we will just be receiving a bonus for McKenna. Selling Ramsay & most likely Ferguson.

If we were to sell Barron as well (even for a few million) on the cheap & especially to those cunts, there would be a fkn riot ? a massive revolt ?

Offer to double his wages to extend even 1 extra year as that’s puts us in a great position and can enjoy him for a while yet. The reality at the moment is that if he counties on a upward trajectory and adds a few goals to his game we will get some big offers come January. This lad looks to have real quality and the attitude to match. Let’s get at least another year on his deal and reevaluate next summer! 

50 minutes ago, slippers said:

Offer to double his wages to extend even 1 extra year as that’s puts us in a great position and can enjoy him for a while yet. The reality at the moment is that if he counties on a upward trajectory and adds a few goals to his game we will get some big offers come January. This lad looks to have real quality and the attitude to match. Let’s get at least another year on his deal and reevaluate next summer! 

That's a no brainer for the next 1-3 months.

Surely his new contract in January was still on relative peanuts so there should be scope to increase his wage.

9 hours ago, Chester Don said:

Or what about thinking progressively and seeing the lad as being a future midfield anchor, one of a few that we build the team around. Young hungry loyal players will attract like players.  

You can think like that and absolutely no harm in it. However the sad reality is there are Championship sides who would comfortably double his wages even if we offered him a massive £10k or £12k a week contract. Also if he continues to develop and impress at the rate he is it's not Championship sides we need to worry about it's Premiership or top European leagues where the money is higher again.

Scotland is a diddy backwater league. He'll more than likely go way higher than SPL.

13 hours ago, Tord31 said:

That's a no brainer for the next 1-3 months.

Surely his new contract in January was still on relative peanuts so there should be scope to increase his wage.

At the time Connor got the deal I absolutely thought that would the case too and that it looked like a 2.5 year deal was a decent length considering he had yet to make his first team debut. However since then I heard other info from a good source which I believe to be true, and i think it would stun you as to how good a deal we gave him at that time. I can only assume there was significant interest in him before January and his agent was holding all the cards so we rightly just threw money at securing him on whatever deal length of deal we could get him secured up on as we knew he was going to be a valuable asset.

Now though we probably wish we had offered him even more and managed to get him signed up for 3.5 years at least as come next summer he will be down to one year. And as much as we would have hoped the fact he is a dons fans would mean he would be happy to sign an longer contract again I don't think that's likely to happen. I'm told his family don't expect him to be with us past the end of Jan 2023 at the maximum. 

Another example of how the money down south is causing havoc for clubs like us trying to hold onto players. And the growing disparity of the wealth of the the big 5 European leagues impacting to those in smaller leagues. As soon as someone plays well for a few months and the stats flag them up in clubs recruitment charts the hawks from England, Italy, Germany are in trying to buy them up.

First Ramsay and now Barron go from just hoping to get a regular starting place in our team to being able to set themselves and their families up for life within 6 months.

We must really wish that teams had been as much into stats data a couple of years back as we could probably have got 2 or 3 million for Mclennan back in the 2018/19 season, when he showed a little bit of promise scoring 3 goals and had 6 assists in 18 games, just on clubs basing decisions on the stats and speculating for the future.

17 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

The key balance the Club needs to learn to strike is between the Club rightly wanting “value” and the player, equally correctly, wanting game time at as high a level as possible.

I suspect Calvin (as an example) going to the EPL only meets one of those elements.

easier said than done of course.

If Ramsay goes to Liverpool he’s still going to feature a fair bit for his age at 1 if the best teams in world. Even if he only plays in 20 odd games it’s still at a very high level and playing/training with a very high calibre of players. My gut feeling is he will feature more than some expect. 

9 minutes ago, slippers said:

If Ramsay goes to Liverpool he’s still going to feature a fair bit for his age at 1 if the best teams in world. Even if he only plays in 20 odd games it’s still at a very high level and playing/training with a very high calibre of players. My gut feeling is he will feature more than some expect. 

You’d expect him to play in the low level cup competitions (league cup) at least.

11 minutes ago, slippers said:

Disagree... He'll be loaned out to a Championship side where granted he will get game time and it will still be arguably a  better quality of football to ours... If he succeeds maybe then he'll the light of day in a Liverpool top but they'll be looking to see where he's at in a year or two's time...

21 hours ago, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

The last ones we should ever be selling good players to are these scum bastards from porkheid and their blue brothers from ipox. Not the Aberdeen FC way, we had standards historically which have been eroded over the last almost 30 yrs.

Rose tinted glasses. Historically 9/10ths of our history has been average!