Holiday's 2022

For Fecks Sake

15 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

December:  Long weekend in Amsterdam with a friend.  (The 20th anniversary trip I mentioned elsewhere).  He claims he wants to do something cultural, so I will ask the coffee shops to play Mozart while we get ridden by blecks!  (I might be convinced to visit the Airborne Museum in Arnhem, or a day trip to Utrecht.  I would prefer just to get pumped all weekend however!).

Its not a bad life!

fuckin bent bastart

On 5/14/2022 at 6:41 PM, dj_bollocks said:

Off to Berlin for the first time in ages next month... It'll be my 4th of 5th time so we've done all the touristy stuff now... Any suggestions for stuff we may have missed ? Same applies for Barcelona in September... Both amazing cities...

I went up the TV tower when I was last there. Went to the restaurant for food but you can just go to the observation bit. The decor’s a bit dated in the restaurant but you get a cracking view of Berlin as it rotates 360 degrees.

Did an underground bunker tour as well. Got to see a converted air raid shelter in one of the subway stations which was pretty interesting. Berliner Unterwelten it was called.

On 5/15/2022 at 4:05 PM, Clydeside_Sheep said:

July:  2 weeks in Amsterdam with the family.  Airbnb near the sloterplas lake.  Taking the car, via ferry - the only way to travel!

December:  Long weekend in Amsterdam with a friend.  (The 20th anniversary trip I mentioned elsewhere).  He claims he wants to do something cultural, so I will ask the coffee shops to play Mozart while we get baked!  (I might be convinced to visit the Airborne Museum in Arnhem, or a day trip to Utrecht.  I would prefer just to get fucked up however!).

Its not a bad life!

6 hours ago, The Boofon said:

He's already said he's going on day trips to other places during the visit to be fair.

5 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

He didn’t . You made that up.?

( unless he posted previously about this holiday)

Misread. The day trip is long weekend. The fact he’s taking the car for the two weeks does suggest he might visit a cathedral out with AMS. 

Thanks for the Berlin tips... Have done most of them already as have been there 4 or 5 times now... love the place... There's a few interesting suggestions from some of you though so again thanks for that...

For the record stuff that we have loved - the holocaust/war memorial stuff... the Parliament building, boat trip, going to places Bowie hung out at, the Flea market, all the Wall stuff, eating and drinking at amazing restaurants and coffee shops, record shopping and eating down in the Viktoria Quarter, The Ramones Museum... There's loads to do and looking forward to getting there again...

On 5/15/2022 at 5:10 PM, Redforever86 said:

Aye under 3 weeks, in the 3rd closest country to the UK really is quite something. 

On 5/15/2022 at 5:23 PM, Arabian Knight said:

fuckin bent bastart

My holidays bring all the hoors to the yard, and they're like "we're jealous of you"  ?

On 5/16/2022 at 11:10 AM, Sooper-hanz said:

What the hell will you do on a family holiday in Amsterdam for two weeks? Sounds grim CS,so convince me otherwise. 

22 hours ago, BrianFaePerth said:

With you here SH. Amsterdam is good for a weekend but 2 fuckin weeks?

Ah, Gentlemen, there is far more to the city than it's reputation for vice. Its actually a great place for families too, especially if the weather is fine (it often is) and you can get outdoors.

- there are many large, beautiful parks with great stuff for kids, all for free: paddling pools, small petting zoos, play areas.  Vondelpark and Westerpark for example.  On a sunny day, you could spend all day in one and the kids would have a ball - without even opening your wallet (especially if you take a picnic rather than buy lunch). Amstel Park has a small kids theme park too (which you pay for).

- the City has a fantastic, major Zoo (Artis Royal Zoo)

- Amsterdam Forest (like a country park) is beautiful and like an even bigger version of the parks above, with similar stuff, but also adds in horse-riding, watersports (not that kind), an open air theatre etc, pedalos and a special "play island" - like a water-based play zone / obstacle course on an island in a lake

- the Sloterplas lake (near city center) has a beach and and all that goes with that, so you can experience the sea side without even leaving the City

- there is the mirandabad leisure pool, which has extensive outdoor facilties too

- our kids are too small for the more famous museums (Van Gogh etc) but there are still kid-friendly attractions, such as the NEMO science museum which offers activities for kids.  It also has a huge roof terrace with water pools for kids to play in.

- various opportunities for boat trips, given you are tripping over canals.  Some are family orientated with kids activities built into the experience.

- there's a castle to visit on the south east edge of the city, offering child-orientated tours and experiences

- plenty of opportunities to go exploring on hired bicycles (you can get ones with a big bucket attachment to put small kids in)

- you are only a short jaunt from the actual coast if you want to visit the actual sea-side

- you are only approx an hour from Utrecht or Arnhem for a nice day out (Utrecht is especially nice). 

- there are many theme park type attractions (some child orientated) within range for day trips

And lots more.  This is just a flavour, you are really tripping over cool things to do with the family in and around the city.

Plus, its just a great place to spent time in general - relaxed vibe, very pretty, plenty of attractive women, cafe culture, great range of places to eat out etc.

Its good to get an airbnb as a base (plenty with free parking in the burbs); use the trams or walk in the city, use the car for visits elsewhere.

And the fact that you can spend most of the time pleasantly stoned is the crowning glory!  Cant wait!

If a man is tired of Amsterdam, he is tired of life!

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Ah, Gentlemen, there is far more to the city than it's reputation for vice. Its actually a great place for families too, especially if the weather is fine (it often is) and you can get outdoors.

- there are many large, beautiful parks with great stuff for kids, all for free: paddling pools, small petting zoos, play areas.  Vondelpark and Westerpark for example.  On a sunny day, you could spend all day in one and the kids would have a ball - without even opening your wallet (especially if you take a picnic rather than buy lunch). Amstel Park has a small kids theme park too (which you pay for).

- the City has a fantastic, major Zoo (Artis Royal Zoo)

- Amsterdam Forest (like a country park) is beautiful and like an even bigger version of the parks above, with similar stuff, but also adds in horse-riding, watersports (not that kind), an open air theatre etc, pedalos and a special "play island" - like a water-based play zone / obstacle course on an island in a lake

- the Sloterplas lake (near city center) has a beach and and all that goes with that, so you can experience the sea side without even leaving the City

- there is the mirandabad leisure pool, which has extensive outdoor facilties too

- our kids are too small for the more famous museums (Van Gogh etc) but there are still kid-friendly attractions, such as the NEMO science museum which offers activities for kids.  It also has a huge roof terrace with water pools for kids to play in.

- various opportunities for boat trips, given you are tripping over canals.  Some are family orientated with kids activities built into the experience.

- there's a castle to visit on the south east edge of the city, offering child-orientated tours and experiences

- plenty of opportunities to go exploring on hired bicycles (you can get ones with a big bucket attachment to put small kids in)

- you are only a short jaunt from the actual coast if you want to visit the actual sea-side

- you are only approx an hour from Utrecht or Arnhem for a nice day out (Utrecht is especially nice). 

- there are many theme park type attractions (some child orientated) within range for day trips

And lots more.  This is just a flavour, you are really tripping over cool things to do with the family in and around the city.

Plus, its just a great place to spent time in general - relaxed vibe, very pretty, plenty of attractive women, cafe culture, great range of places to eat out etc.

Its good to get an airbnb as a base (plenty with free parking in the burbs); use the trams or walk in the city, use the car for visits elsewhere.

And the fact that you can spend most of the time pleasantly stoned is the crowning glory!  Cant wait!

If a man is tired of Amsterdam, he is tired of life!

Jesus. I've lived in Amsterdam for the last three years and haven't done the majority of the above. 

1 hour ago, styrofoamplates said:

Jesus. I've lived in Amsterdam for the last three years and haven't done the majority of the above. 

Tbf you’d probably get your head kicked in if you started hanging about playparks trying to get a shot of the swings. 
“ I shushpect thish man ish a shex offender “