Holiday's 2022

For Fecks Sake

5 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

He's so precious. Starts lashing out every time. Blutz can't handle a gentle ribbing. (fnug fnug chortle) 

Dunno if you could find his ribs to give him one 

• 2 weeks later...

We got booked up for Amsterdam in summer  ? 

Although its reputation is all sex / drugs (hooray!) its actually a great place for families with small kids, where you can do lots for free in summer.

Taking the car via ferry again, and got an airbnb booked.  I love that ferry from Newcastle, nothing beats sitting down to dinner and a pint, window seat, as you sail out of the docks thinking "this is it starting now".   

Corona virus makes the process slightly irritating (you need a test to get on the ferry etc, not allowed breakfast in the room) but hey ho, no big deal.  But at least we can actually do something now.

We went to York last year which was great and the wife wanted to go to England again.  But that would have meant this was the 3rd year without going abroad for a family holiday = no chance! I have been climbing the walls to go somewhere.

Talking about going back to Amsterdam in December with a mate, to mark the 20th anniversary of our first ever trip there, in December 2002 (which is a very scary thought).

8 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

How long does that take, half a day?  Longest one I did was to Ostend from UK.Vey choppy it was. 

No its overnight.  Newcastle (north shields) to IJmuiden (maybe 30 mins outside Amsterdam). 

Typically they start boarding at 3pm and sail about 5pm.  You get into IJmuiden about 9 - 9.30am in the morning or thereabouts, refreshed and ready to start the holiday proper.

OK - you spend two nights on the ferry, there and back, but Its just part of the holiday - a good meal, few beers, good kip and the excitement of waking up in a new place.

I am convinced it is the way to travel - you spent most of it sleeping, but when awake there are restaurants, bars, dancing, cinema, shops, stuff for the kids etc.  You can have walk about and stretch your legs, get some fresh air.

I used to love flying, but what an absolute faff that is, these days.

When I was a kid, we would drive down to dover or other southern ports, to get the ferry to France - but that drive is a nightmare, especially for kids.  Newcastle is only  3 hours.  If you stop mid way for some lunch, its fuck all.  Actually quite a nice drive scenery wise (though the cross country road in England is often just one lane).

Highly recommended.  We have not been torpedoed yet!

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

No its overnight.  Newcastle (north shields) to IJmuiden (maybe 30 mins outside Amsterdam). 

Typically they start boarding at 3pm and sail about 5pm.  You get into IJmuiden about 9 - 9.30am in the morning or thereabouts, refreshed and ready to start the holiday proper.

OK - you spend two nights on the ferry, there and back, but Its just part of the holiday - a good meal, few beers, good kip and the excitement of waking up in a new place.

I am convinced it is the way to travel - you spent most of it sleeping, but when awake there are restaurants, bars, dancing, cinema, shops, stuff for the kids etc.  You can have walk about and stretch your legs, get some fresh air.

I used to love flying, but what an absolute faff that is, these days.

When I was a kid, we would drive down to dover or other southern ports, to get the ferry to France - but that drive is a nightmare, especially for kids.  Newcastle is only  3 hours.  If you stop mid way for some lunch, its fuck all.  Actually quite a nice drive scenery wise (though the cross country road in England is often just one lane).

Highly recommended.  We have not been torpedoed yet!

Could have just summarised all that by saying taking the ferry's saving you a couple hundred quid. 

On 1/28/2022 at 12:23 AM, 1903Fitba said:

one of the few cities in mainland Europe that I’ve visited and not got a ride

5 hours ago, BrianFaePerth said:

The hoors too expensive?

16 minutes ago, 1903Fitba said:

Didn’t have to pay due to my good looks and personal hygiene being top notch. 

Sounds like you did, to be fair. 

• 1 month later...