Dante Polvara

Hopefully a good signing.

I've coached some American kids who were light years ahead of the kids I saw signed on S-Forms for Aberdeen... unfortunately most are lost to the big sports like hockey and 'football' by the time they hit college. 

A few will stick with it, though, but the majority of the elite athletes go for the big bucks in the 'real' sports. 

That might be changing a bit now, as I'm still seeing some of them playing at tournaments, and a number of them have signed for the likes of Liverpool's International Academy and the programs run by MLS. 

If we can benefit from the American connection in the form of players who want to come play in Europe, maybe starting in a shit league like the SPFL before moving to a real footballing country, then I'm all for it. 

If we had a team of players who could do their jobs as well as Ramirez we'd be top of the fucking league. 

• Upvote 6

Interesting. Somebody from outside of Scotland, could be promising... one of the big complaints from fans is that our signing policy has been lazy, mostly only signing known quantities in Scotland. This seems to show us again casting the net a bit wider.

The other big complaint is that we've signed bad or mediocre players - on that front only time will tell. 

58 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Really looking forward to seeing this lad play. Hopefully he is a fantastic coup as he certainly seems no mug. This is the type of signing we should be making. The lad has had to earn his way up the ranks…we are currently top of the tree. It doesn’t come bigger than playing for the mighty Dons.

This is the only sensible thing you have ever said ??

1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

Welcome aboard fella.

Seems to have been too good for the level he was at in the states, however as has been pointed out being better than the highland league doesn’t automatically mean you’re good enough for Aberdeen.

Hopefully he’s more Ramirez level than Gallagher/Gurr.

Duncan Shearer (Clach) and Graeme Shinnie (Forres Mechanics) both played in the Highland League. Don't remember them not being good enough for Aberdeen.....

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Duncan Shearer (Clach) and Graeme Shinnie (Forres Mechanics) both played in the Highland League. Don't remember them not being good enough for Aberdeen.....

Lol 2 players out of how many thousand or so that have played highland league football at some point is hardly proving my statement wrong.

Anyway, I said it didn’t automatically mean a player was good enough, not that they definitely are or aren’t. 

1 hour ago, redcryptoknight said:

Interesting. Somebody from outside of Scotland, could be promising... one of the big complaints from fans is that our signing policy has been lazy, mostly only signing known quantities in Scotland. This seems to show us again casting the net a bit wider.

The other big complaint is that we've signed bad or mediocre players - on that front only time will tell. 

No, I’d argue we’ve ignored the admittedly easy Scottish option and gone instead for the Uber lazy “did a job for Peterborough” brigade instead. Fine if it works.  Shite if it doesn’t.  Leaves you sitting longingly admiring Ali Crawford and the like.

5 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Lol 2 players out of how many thousand or so that have played highland league football at some point is hardly proving my statement wrong.

Anyway, I said it didn’t automatically mean a player was good enough, not that they definitely are or aren’t. 

Be positive about this signing. Put it this way, he can’t be worse than Gurr, Samuels, Jenks and Longstaff. None of them would be able to keep a place in the highland league 

2 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Could also name John McGinlay and Colin Hendry who went on to play for Scotland after starting in the Highland League or Jamie Vardy who went from non-league to playing for England and winning the Premier League.

Polvera could be a gem playing in a low level standard. He could also be not good enough but how many on here are instantly writing him off without ever having seen him play.

At least we are signing a young talent from abroad as our player and not on loan. He isn’t coming from a diddy English team as a desperate last gap make the numbers up signing. This lad will do the business. I am chuffed we are doing this type of business. Fair play to our club and this is the business we should be doing.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Could also name John McGinlay and Colin Hendry who went on to play for Scotland after starting in the Highland League or Jamie Vardy who went from non-league to playing for England and winning the Premier League.

Polvera could be a gem playing in a low level standard. He could also be not good enough but how many on here are instantly writing him off without ever having seen him play.

There's plenty of players that make a sizable step up from lower leagues, Paul Coutts done alright for himself.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, caledonia said:

Uninspiring cheap option from USA as usual.

If he was any good Atlanta would have snapped him up and gave us their 3rd choice for same position for same price.

"As usual"

Fit?!?! 

We've signed Ramirez (player) and Gurr (will come good) from the USA 

?‍♂️

36 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Nae cunt has even seen the boy play and we've already had views ranging from him being better than the boy the Huns have signed to being only fit for the Highland League. Only on the hat. 

We'll find out soon enough once he puts on a red shirt if he's any use.  That's the only true test. 

My point being he was better than the rangers boy was because I read they both came through they New York system together and Dante was thought more highly of but chose to go the collage route to get a degree. Hopefully that’s the case