Dante Polvara

1 hour ago, minijc said:

Pol-Var-A The crowd shout goal assista

To the tune of Re Rewind by Artful Dodger featuring Craig David.

Maybe the worst ever 

Takes some doing 

Guest milne_afc
20 minutes ago, FO2495 said:

Hey everyone

I’m a big American soccer and Atlanta United supporter and am currently down and out with COVID, so I ended up here to see what y’all thought about Polvara.

I’ve seen a couple of things that maybe I can give some clarity on. Our soccer systems in this country are strange from the outside looking in and have evolved a lot over the years, so it might help to have a little bit of context as to what you’re getting, especially considering that it seems your club is going to keep coming back to our systems for players.

1. Regarding the comparisons to Jack Gurr and even Jon Gallagher

Both were weird signings for y’all. Neither were good enough for Atlanta United or European top flight football in a top 10 or 15 European league. I wouldn’t compare Polvara to those guys because of the background and pedigree differences.

Gurr especially was only picked up by Atlanta because he was playing for a tiny local college, that’s it. We needed numbers for our reserve team and he filled in. Most Atlanta fans didn’t know who he was even when he left. Gallagher played for us in a season where we were the worst we’ve ever been - that’s all I’ll say about that.

2. Regarding the level Polvara coming from

College soccer is not the primary means by which Americans develop players anymore, but it’s now seen as an amateur u23 league where people can go get an education while pursuing their dreams as players. It also serves to catch players who fall through the cracks at the academy level. 

The college Polvara is coming from is a top 25 college in the nation for education, and he likely got to go there for free. If his career doesn’t work out, he’s got a $400,000 college education in his back pocket.

Polvara came up through the NYCFC academy, but opted to go to college to get education, but trained several times during his off-season with the NYCFC first team alongside his former academy teammates like Gio Reyna (now at BVB), Joe Scally (now at Bor. Monchengladbach) and James Sands (now at Rangers). NYCFC tried to sign Polvara to a first team contract multiple times but he turned down the opportunities so that he could stay at Georgetown, continue his education, and eventually look abroad. It’s not a mark on him that he’s never played professionally up to this point, he’s done what most of us would have done in his position. His salary as a homegrown would’ve likely been around $100k annually, but instead he has an education he can fall back on for a lifetime.

On top of that, he was voted the top college soccer player in the nation, which is significant. There has been some serious talent come through college soccer in the last few years. Before you compare him to Jack Gurr, I think it’s more fair to see if he can reach the heights of..

• Jack Harrison (went to college at Wake Forrest, drafted by NYCFC, sold to Man City, moved to Leeds, scored a hat trick in the premier league today)
  • Daryl Dike (went to college at Virginia, drafted by Orlando last year, just sold to West Brom for $7.5m, debuted for them yesterday and looked great)
  • Miles Robinson (went to college at Syracuse, drafted by Atlanta United, has fielded 2 offers from the Bundesliga in the last month and is the locked in USMNT starting CB)
  • Robbie Robinson (went to Clemson, drafted by Miami, called up to the Chilean national team)
  • Tajon Buchanan (went to Syracuse, drafted by New England, just sold to Brugge for $7.5m, debuted yesterday)
  • Chris Mueller (drafted by Orlando, played for the national team, just moved to Hibs where I think he’s going to do well)

I could go on and on. These are just recent examples. Point being, Polvara was playing at a high level like the players I just mentioned. He’s not going to break into the national team anytime soon but NYCFC just won MLS Cup and were pushing very hard to sign him to their first team. You’re not getting MLS scraps, you’re getting a decent young player. Not going to light the world on fire, but better than Gallagher and Gurr for sure.

Sorry if this is too much. I’m laid up in bed and have nothing else to do.

NRT

54 minutes ago, FO2495 said:

Hey everyone

I’m a big American soccer and Atlanta United supporter and am currently down and out with COVID, so I ended up here to see what y’all thought about Polvara.

I’ve seen a couple of things that maybe I can give some clarity on. Our soccer systems in this country are strange from the outside looking in and have evolved a lot over the years, so it might help to have a little bit of context as to what you’re getting, especially considering that it seems your club is going to keep coming back to our systems for players.

Both were weird signings for y’all. Neither were good enough for Atlanta United or European top flight football in a top 10 or 15 European league. I wouldn’t compare Polvara to those guys because of the background and pedigree differences.

Gurr especially was only picked up by Atlanta because he was playing for a tiny local college, that’s it. We needed numbers for our reserve team and he filled in. Most Atlanta fans didn’t know who he was even when he left. Gallagher played for us in a season where we were the worst we’ve ever been - that’s all I’ll say about that.

College soccer is not the primary means by which Americans develop players anymore, but it’s now seen as an amateur u23 league where people can go get an education while pursuing their dreams as players. It also serves to catch players who fall through the cracks at the academy level. 

The college Polvara is coming from is a top 25 college in the nation for education, and he likely got to go there for free. If his career doesn’t work out, he’s got a $400,000 college education in his back pocket.

Polvara came up through the NYCFC academy, but opted to go to college to get education, but trained several times during his off-season with the NYCFC first team alongside his former academy teammates like Gio Reyna (now at BVB), Joe Scally (now at Bor. Monchengladbach) and James Sands (now at Rangers). NYCFC tried to sign Polvara to a first team contract multiple times but he turned down the opportunities so that he could stay at Georgetown, continue his education, and eventually look abroad. It’s not a mark on him that he’s never played professionally up to this point, he’s done what most of us would have done in his position. His salary as a homegrown would’ve likely been around $100k annually, but instead he has an education he can fall back on for a lifetime.

On top of that, he was voted the top college soccer player in the nation, which is significant. There has been some serious talent come through college soccer in the last few years. Before you compare him to Jack Gurr, I think it’s more fair to see if he can reach the heights of..

• Jack Harrison (went to college at Wake Forrest, drafted by NYCFC, sold to Man City, moved to Leeds, scored a hat trick in the premier league today)
  • Daryl Dike (went to college at Virginia, drafted by Orlando last year, just sold to West Brom for $7.5m, debuted for them yesterday and looked great)
  • Miles Robinson (went to college at Syracuse, drafted by Atlanta United, has fielded 2 offers from the Bundesliga in the last month and is the locked in USMNT starting CB)
  • Robbie Robinson (went to Clemson, drafted by Miami, called up to the Chilean national team)
  • Tajon Buchanan (went to Syracuse, drafted by New England, just sold to Brugge for $7.5m, debuted yesterday)
  • Chris Mueller (drafted by Orlando, played for the national team, just moved to Hibs where I think he’s going to do well)

I could go on and on. These are just recent examples. Point being, Polvara was playing at a high level like the players I just mentioned. He’s not going to break into the national team anytime soon but NYCFC just won MLS Cup and were pushing very hard to sign him to their first team. You’re not getting MLS scraps, you’re getting a decent young player. Not going to light the world on fire, but better than Gallagher and Gurr for sure.

good post min , thanks for the effort 

57 minutes ago, FO2495 said:

Hey everyone

Hi Dave

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, FO2495 said:

Hey everyone

Cheers min. You've earned yourself a corndog and a bucket of soda next time you make it to Pittodrie

1 hour ago, FO2495 said:

Hey everyone

Cheers for that. Out of interest - how many players (roughly) from College Soccer get signed up professionally every year, and how many of them would be good enough to cut it at our level?

You mentioned 6 names above who have come from that background and done very well professionally, and doubtless there are others. But is Polvara one of 10 players who'll go pro this year, or one of 100? And of that 10 or 100, are we talking like 10% are likely to be able to cut it at a decent level, and the rest sign professionally but never amount to much?

I hope you follow what I'm trying to ask - I've maybe not worded it very clearly - just trying to ascertain whether there's only a handful who make it each year and if they all go onto big things, or if there's loads who make it and most of them are crap and the names you mention are the rare exceptions.

2 hours ago, FO2495 said:

Hey everyone

How is the 'partnership' With Aberdeen viewed over in Atlanta? 

38 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Cheers for that. Out of interest - how many players (roughly) from College Soccer get signed up professionally every year, and how many of them would be good enough to cut it at our level?

You mentioned 6 names above who have come from that background and done very well professionally, and doubtless there are others. But is Polvara one of 10 players who'll go pro this year, or one of 100? And of that 10 or 100, are we talking like 10% are likely to be able to cut it at a decent level, and the rest sign professionally but never amount to much?

I hope you follow what I'm trying to ask - I've maybe not worded it very clearly - just trying to ascertain whether there's only a handful who make it each year and if they all go onto big things, or if there's loads who make it and most of them are crap and the names you mention are the rare exceptions.

I hear what you are saying but in the grand scheme of things very few players no matter where they come from make it in the game.  What we have with Dante is that he is regarded at being the best in the US at that level.  If anyone has a chance of making it then he must stand more than a decent chance.  ( although Joseph Lapira was the same.  Anyone mind him?) 

It’s going to be a big step up for him and a big culture change but he seems to have the technical ability, physical attributes and after the listening to the podcast with his coach, the right mentality to make it across here.  
Have a funny feeling this lad could be a star for us.