Dante Polvara

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

Cheers for that. Out of interest - how many players (roughly) from College Soccer get signed up professionally every year, and how many of them would be good enough to cut it at our level?

You mentioned 6 names above who have come from that background and done very well professionally, and doubtless there are others. But is Polvara one of 10 players who'll go pro this year, or one of 100? And of that 10 or 100, are we talking like 10% are likely to be able to cut it at a decent level, and the rest sign professionally but never amount to much?

I hope you follow what I'm trying to ask - I've maybe not worded it very clearly - just trying to ascertain whether there's only a handful who make it each year and if they all go onto big things, or if there's loads who make it and most of them are crap and the names you mention are the rare exceptions.

Out of interest - how many players (roughly) from College Soccer get signed up professionally every year, and how many of them would be good enough to cut it at our level?

Each club gets two draft picks every year, but you can sign as many college players as you want who came from your academy. For example, Atlanta United signed Bryce Washington, who came up through our academy but was playing college soccer at Pitt. If he would've wanted to go into MLS but we didn't want to offer him a contract, he'd eligible to be drafted then. Often times, players (like Polvera) will sit down with their families and realize that they have 2 options.. 1. make $80k-$120k as an a 18-year-old, but have no guarantee that you'll be good enough to "make it" long term.. or 2. Go to a college where you can live the college experience, get a really expensive education for free, then try to be a pro later on.

So, the number of college players signed to a pro contract every year just depends on the club and how many academy players they have sent to colleges. It's a thing here where MLS academies have their annual "signing day" where the kids who aren't signing 1st or reserve team contracts all sign to play all over the country collegiately. This is Atlanta United's academy graduating class of 2018, for example. 2 of them are now in MLS, 1 with Atlanta United. 

Of the nearly 60 players drafted this year, I'd say probably 10 to 15 will make it long term in MLS. Many of them will end up in lower divisions either here or in Europe. As for percentage of players, college soccer is massive (there are 205 division-1 teams alone) so it's hard to say.

just trying to ascertain whether there's only a handful who make it each year and if they all go onto big things, or if there's loads who make it and most of them are crap and the names you mention are the rare exceptions.

There's only a handful that make it in MLS, essentially. But even those that don't make it in MLS have as easier time landing elsewhere since there will be over 100 fully professional clubs in the USA in 2022 (there were only 30 just 15 years ago).

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

How is the 'partnership' With Aberdeen viewed over in Atlanta? 

It's viewed with some guilt, to be honest. Seems like everyone we've sent y'all has been players not good enough for us and a manager most of our fans liked as a guy but didn't want around as manager at all. Plus, the Hernandez situation is strange.

I guess the trade off is scouting knowledge to land players like Polvera or Ramirez, but not sure if that's because of our link or not.

I think most of our fans like the idea of partnering with a club, but when you have FC Dallas and Bayern sharing training stints and setting the pace for what MLS-Europe club partnerships can be like, ours feels lacking so far, unless there's things going on behind the scenes in terms of information sharing that none of us are aware of.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, FO2495 said:

Hey everyone

I’m a big American soccer and Atlanta United supporter and am currently down and out with COVID, so I ended up here to see what y’all thought about Polvara.

I’ve seen a couple of things that maybe I can give some clarity on. Our soccer systems in this country are strange from the outside looking in and have evolved a lot over the years, so it might help to have a little bit of context as to what you’re getting, especially considering that it seems your club is going to keep coming back to our systems for players.

1. Regarding the comparisons to Jack Gurr and even Jon Gallagher

Both were weird signings for y’all. Neither were good enough for Atlanta United or European top flight football in a top 10 or 15 European league. I wouldn’t compare Polvara to those guys because of the background and pedigree differences.

Gurr especially was only picked up by Atlanta because he was playing for a tiny local college, that’s it. We needed numbers for our reserve team and he filled in. Most Atlanta fans didn’t know who he was even when he left. Gallagher played for us in a season where we were the worst we’ve ever been - that’s all I’ll say about that.

2. Regarding the level Polvara coming from

College soccer is not the primary means by which Americans develop players anymore, but it’s now seen as an amateur u23 league where people can go get an education while pursuing their dreams as players. It also serves to catch players who fall through the cracks at the academy level. 

The college Polvara is coming from is a top 25 college in the nation for education, and he likely got to go there for free. If his career doesn’t work out, he’s got a $400,000 college education in his back pocket.

Polvara came up through the NYCFC academy, but opted to go to college to get education, but trained several times during his off-season with the NYCFC first team alongside his former academy teammates like Gio Reyna (now at BVB), Joe Scally (now at Bor. Monchengladbach) and James Sands (now at Rangers). NYCFC tried to sign Polvara to a first team contract multiple times but he turned down the opportunities so that he could stay at Georgetown, continue his education, and eventually look abroad. It’s not a mark on him that he’s never played professionally up to this point, he’s done what most of us would have done in his position. His salary as a homegrown would’ve likely been around $100k annually, but instead he has an education he can fall back on for a lifetime.

On top of that, he was voted the top college soccer player in the nation, which is significant. There has been some serious talent come through college soccer in the last few years. Before you compare him to Jack Gurr, I think it’s more fair to see if he can reach the heights of..

• Jack Harrison (went to college at Wake Forrest, drafted by NYCFC, sold to Man City, moved to Leeds, scored a hat trick in the premier league today)
  • Daryl Dike (went to college at Virginia, drafted by Orlando last year, just sold to West Brom for $7.5m, debuted for them yesterday and looked great)
  • Miles Robinson (went to college at Syracuse, drafted by Atlanta United, has fielded 2 offers from the Bundesliga in the last month and is the locked in USMNT starting CB)
  • Robbie Robinson (went to Clemson, drafted by Miami, called up to the Chilean national team)
  • Tajon Buchanan (went to Syracuse, drafted by New England, just sold to Brugge for $7.5m, debuted yesterday)
  • Chris Mueller (drafted by Orlando, played for the national team, just moved to Hibs where I think he’s going to do well)

I could go on and on. These are just recent examples. Point being, Polvara was playing at a high level like the players I just mentioned. He’s not going to break into the national team anytime soon but NYCFC just won MLS Cup and were pushing very hard to sign him to their first team. You’re not getting MLS scraps, you’re getting a decent young player. Not going to light the world on fire, but better than Gallagher and Gurr for sure.

Sorry if this is too much. I’m laid up in bed and have nothing else to do.

Im sure his brother ended up at Celtic

36 minutes ago, FO2495 said:

Out of interest - how many players (roughly) from College Soccer get signed up professionally every year, and how many of them would be good enough to cut it at our level?

Each club gets two draft picks every year, but you can sign as many college players as you want who came from your academy. For example, Atlanta United signed Bryce Washington, who came up through our academy but was playing college soccer at Pitt. If he would've wanted to go into MLS but we didn't want to offer him a contract, he'd eligible to be drafted then. Often times, players (like Polvera) will sit down with their families and realize that they have 2 options.. 1. make $80k-$120k as an a 18-year-old, but have no guarantee that you'll be good enough to "make it" long term.. or 2. Go to a college where you can live the college experience, get a really expensive education for free, then try to be a pro later on.

So, the number of college players signed to a pro contract every year just depends on the club and how many academy players they have sent to colleges. It's a thing here where MLS academies have their annual "signing day" where the kids who aren't signing 1st or reserve team contracts all sign to play all over the country collegiately. This is Atlanta United's academy graduating class of 2018, for example. 2 of them are now in MLS, 1 with Atlanta United. 

Of the nearly 60 players drafted this year, I'd say probably 10 to 15 will make it long term in MLS. Many of them will end up in lower divisions either here or in Europe. As for percentage of players, college soccer is massive (there are 205 division-1 teams alone) so it's hard to say.

just trying to ascertain whether there's only a handful who make it each year and if they all go onto big things, or if there's loads who make it and most of them are crap and the names you mention are the rare exceptions.

There's only a handful that make it in MLS, essentially. But even those that don't make it in MLS have as easier time landing elsewhere since there will be over 100 fully professional clubs in the USA in 2022 (there were only 30 just 15 years ago).

Thanks for that - appreciate the insight. Hopefully as a stand-out in the college system, Polvara will make the grade. I suppose the additional challenge for him will be moving to a new continent to start his professional career, rather than joining an MLS team in a country he knows.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, FO2495 said:

It's viewed with some guilt, to be honest. Seems like everyone we've sent y'all has been players not good enough for us and a manager most of our fans liked as a guy but didn't want around as manager at all. Plus, the Hernandez situation is strange.

I guess the trade off is scouting knowledge to land players like Polvera or Ramirez, but not sure if that's because of our link or not.

I think most of our fans like the idea of partnering with a club, but when you have FC Dallas and Bayern sharing training stints and setting the pace for what MLS-Europe club partnerships can be like, ours feels lacking so far, unless there's things going on behind the scenes in terms of information sharing that none of us are aware of.

If it helps alleviate your concerns, we've previously smashed Bayern, Hamburg, and Real Madrid on our way to European glory. 

As for things going on behind the scenes, we've just put in state of the art training facilities, and are definitely, absolutely, 100% guaranteed getting a new stadium in the immediate to very long term future. 

All we need is all the cash to build one. 

1 hour ago, FO2495 said:

Thanks.

What do you guys think will be the upside for Atlanta from the link?*  If at all. 

*Apart from parking the likes of Ronnie Hernandez for a year 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Thanks.

What do you guys think will be the upside for Atlanta from the link?*  If at all. 

Only potential upside I can see for Atlanta is a similar scam to the Hernandez deal but with actual good players ?

Basically use Aberdeen as a stepping stone club to persuade players in the back door on the cheap. 

Hopefully Atlanta will fund these signings so no great financial risk for us as we are a cheapskate club

17 hours ago, FO2495 said:

Hey everyone

I’m a big American soccer and Atlanta United supporter and am currently down and out with COVID, so I ended up here to see what y’all thought about Polvara.

I’ve seen a couple of things that maybe I can give some clarity on. Our soccer systems in this country are strange from the outside looking in and have evolved a lot over the years, so it might help to have a little bit of context as to what you’re getting, especially considering that it seems your club is going to keep coming back to our systems for players.

1. Regarding the comparisons to Jack Gurr and even Jon Gallagher

Both were weird signings for y’all. Neither were good enough for Atlanta United or European top flight football in a top 10 or 15 European league. I wouldn’t compare Polvara to those guys because of the background and pedigree differences.

Gurr especially was only picked up by Atlanta because he was playing for a tiny local college, that’s it. We needed numbers for our reserve team and he filled in. Most Atlanta fans didn’t know who he was even when he left. Gallagher played for us in a season where we were the worst we’ve ever been - that’s all I’ll say about that.

2. Regarding the level Polvara coming from

College soccer is not the primary means by which Americans develop players anymore, but it’s now seen as an amateur u23 league where people can go get an education while pursuing their dreams as players. It also serves to catch players who fall through the cracks at the academy level. 

The college Polvara is coming from is a top 25 college in the nation for education, and he likely got to go there for free. If his career doesn’t work out, he’s got a $400,000 college education in his back pocket.

Polvara came up through the NYCFC academy, but opted to go to college to get education, but trained several times during his off-season with the NYCFC first team alongside his former academy teammates like Gio Reyna (now at BVB), Joe Scally (now at Bor. Monchengladbach) and James Sands (now at Rangers). NYCFC tried to sign Polvara to a first team contract multiple times but he turned down the opportunities so that he could stay at Georgetown, continue his education, and eventually look abroad. It’s not a mark on him that he’s never played professionally up to this point, he’s done what most of us would have done in his position. His salary as a homegrown would’ve likely been around $100k annually, but instead he has an education he can fall back on for a lifetime.

On top of that, he was voted the top college soccer player in the nation, which is significant. There has been some serious talent come through college soccer in the last few years. Before you compare him to Jack Gurr, I think it’s more fair to see if he can reach the heights of..

• Jack Harrison (went to college at Wake Forrest, drafted by NYCFC, sold to Man City, moved to Leeds, scored a hat trick in the premier league today)
  • Daryl Dike (went to college at Virginia, drafted by Orlando last year, just sold to West Brom for $7.5m, debuted for them yesterday and looked great)
  • Miles Robinson (went to college at Syracuse, drafted by Atlanta United, has fielded 2 offers from the Bundesliga in the last month and is the locked in USMNT starting CB)
  • Robbie Robinson (went to Clemson, drafted by Miami, called up to the Chilean national team)
  • Tajon Buchanan (went to Syracuse, drafted by New England, just sold to Brugge for $7.5m, debuted yesterday)
  • Chris Mueller (drafted by Orlando, played for the national team, just moved to Hibs where I think he’s going to do well)

I could go on and on. These are just recent examples. Point being, Polvara was playing at a high level like the players I just mentioned. He’s not going to break into the national team anytime soon but NYCFC just won MLS Cup and were pushing very hard to sign him to their first team. You’re not getting MLS scraps, you’re getting a decent young player. Not going to light the world on fire, but better than Gallagher and Gurr for sure.

Sorry if this is too much. I’m laid up in bed and have nothing else to do.

Cheers pal - thanks for taking the time and sharing your insight. ???

FO2495, that for the very detailed explanation and insight. I am somewhat familiar with the college system in the US as my son recently graduated from a university near Houston where he had a 4 year scholarship, so it cost us next to nothing for him to get his business degree. His team was NAIA affiliated, so not quite the same level as the big guns in the NCAA. He absolutely loved it. Training twice a day during football season and playing twice a week. What a great experience for him. We went over to see him just his final season was ending, just a few months before covid hit. What a great trip. While we were there his team won their division, then the conference championship (where he was named MVP - a bit of dad bragging, sorry). Unfortunately they didn’t progress too far in the National Championship. He’s now doing a 2 years Masters at a uni in Oklahoma. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, FO2495 said:

Interesting to see that our strategic partnership doesn't seem to be viewed any better over there than it is over here. Just seems to be an excuse for Cormack to talk to everyone about how we're trying to be different (but not confused...).

On the pitch Ramirez would be the only good thing we've seen come about from this partnership (if Atlanta recommended him to us). Gallagher, Gurr and Hernandez all woeful and Glass could probably be put in that bracket as well.

18 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Thanks.

Well, coming from the Americas, some players just want to enjoy their football and get paid well, like Josef Martinez, while others want to make it in Europe and play in European competitions.

Christian Ramirez, Ian Harkes, Chris Mueller, etc. come to Scotland to play top flight European football and experience a new culture without having to learn a whole new language and that's a huge appeal for a lot of players. Others couldn't care less and are fine with staying in MLS or whoever offers them the most money.

So I guess a big long term goal would be to see Aberdeen position itself to be consistently fighting to play in European competitions and be a good landing spot for our players who want to make that leap. I think of a guy like George Bello, probably our best teenage player who is a full national teamer, who needs to be exposed to a new environment and different kind of pressure away from home to take his development to the next level. Getting to go to Aberdeen and play in Europa/Conference League for those kinds of player would be ideal. That's the dream, I suppose - having a consistent landing spot for players who've run their course in our team and are ready to try their luck in Europe.

1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

Interesting to see that our strategic partnership doesn't seem to be viewed any better over there than it is over here. Just seems to be an excuse for Cormack to talk to everyone about how we're trying to be different (but not confused...).

On the pitch Ramirez would be the only good thing we've seen come about from this partnership (if Atlanta recommended him to us). Gallagher, Gurr and Hernandez all woeful and Glass could probably be put in that bracket as well.

One in four good signings is probably similar to the ratio of our non-US signings, though. 

We sign a hella amount of shite. 

1 hour ago, FO2495 said:

Well, coming from the Americas, some players just want to enjoy their football and get paid well, like Josef Martinez, while others want to make it in Europe and play in European competitions.

Christian Ramirez, Ian Harkes, Chris Mueller, etc. come to Scotland to play top flight European football and experience a new culture without having to learn a whole new language and that's a huge appeal for a lot of players. Others couldn't care less and are fine with staying in MLS or whoever offers them the most money.

So I guess a big long term goal would be to see Aberdeen position itself to be consistently fighting to play in European competitions and be a good landing spot for our players who want to make that leap. I think of a guy like George Bello, probably our best teenage player who is a full national teamer, who needs to be exposed to a new environment and different kind of pressure away from home to take his development to the next level. Getting to go to Aberdeen and play in Europa/Conference League for those kinds of player would be ideal. That's the dream, I suppose - having a consistent landing spot for players who've run their course in our team and are ready to try their luck in Europe.

So as expected, for us, to take all the fringe players that have lost interest in soccer over their and gives them one more outlet before they call it quits, we aren’t a charity for American players who have ran the course and aren’t good enough to start with?, George bello?, another right back that’s just progressed from the youth team a couple of years back?, hold me back, and the decent players you actually have in barco and Josef martinez who is on fortunes who wouldn’t come to us even if we could afford, (for example if inter were to lose lautaro martinez then it was Josef who was getting lined up to replace him.

soooo, in summary, this is a pointless exercise that certainly doesn’t benefit us.

1 minute ago, Dons79 said:

So as expected, for us, to take all the fringe players that have lost interest in soccer over their and gives them one more outlet before they call it quits, we aren’t a charity for American players who have ran the course and aren’t good enough to start with?, George bello?, another right back that’s just progressed from the youth team a couple of years back?, hold me back, and the decent players you actually have in barco and Josef martinez who is on fortunes who wouldn’t come to us even if we could afford, (for example if inter were to lose lautaro martinez then it was Josef who was getting lined up to replace him.

soooo, in summary, this is a pointless exercise that certainly doesn’t benefit us.

It seems as though Cormack thought Atlanta’s fringe players would be good enough to come and do a job here. Glass must have thought the same.

They were both very wrong. And the other signings they’ve made pretty much confirm they are a terrible judge of quality.

27 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

You’re misunderstanding me. Someone like George Bello (a left back) who wants to progress in his career and has gotten looks from the Premier League this winter is more than good enough. I’m not implying Atlanta sends over players who’ve “lost interest”, Im implying sending the more ambitious types who want to test the waters in Europe.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, FO2495 said:

You’re misunderstanding me. Someone like George Bello (a left back) who wants to progress in his career and has gotten looks from the Premier League this winter is more than good enough. I’m not implying Atlanta sends over players who’ve “lost interest”, Im implying sending the more ambitious types who want to test the waters in Europe.

Do you mean using Aberdeen as a shop window for guys Atlanta want to sell in Europe? 

That won't help them get big bucks. We struggle to get value for our own players from down south. 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Do you mean using Aberdeen as a shop window for guys Atlanta want to sell in Europe? 

That won't help them get big bucks. We struggle to get value for our own players from down south. 

No, I mean being the club that we sell to. Not every player will be $20 million to Bayern. We’ve got quite a few young players who will be $1m to $3m players who could easily be sold on a move to Scotland and will eventually want to play in Europe. Gallagher and Gurr were reserve teamers. Im referencing players like Brooks Lennon, Matheus Rossetto, George Campbell, etc.. players good enough to start for us (and do) who will never play at Barcelona but are good enough and interested in eventually playing in Europe.

Better to sell them to Scotland than to trade them within MLS to our direct competitors.

7 minutes ago, FO2495 said:

No your misunderstanding me!, your only decent players you have is barco and martinez, who would never come and play in Scotland, the rest are middling of the road shite, hyndman et al —shite. your talking like bello is alfonso Davis?, he’s garbage, what’s bello won or achieved in his career that makes him good enough for Aberdeen?.Point is unless it was players like martinez and barco coming, which they couldn’t possibly due to their incredible wages then there’s no point. For us.

1 minute ago, Dons79 said:

No your misunderstanding me!, your only decent players you have is barco and martinez, who would never come and play in Scotland, the rest are middling of the road shite, hyndman et al —shite. your talking like bello is alfonso Davis?, he’s garbage, what’s bello won or achieved in his career that makes him good enough for Aberdeen?.Point is unless it was players like martinez and barco coming, which they couldn’t possibly due to their incredible wages then there’s no point. For us.

Barco isn’t very good, don’t let his price fool you. We’re about to give him away for free to a club in Brazil. Hyndman is bad, don’t like him. He won’t be in Atlanta much longer. Bello is 19 and has started for the national team multiple times in 2021 over his competition who play all throughout Europe. He started against Mexico in a final and won and had offers from Champions League clubs back in the summer.

Seems like you don’t know much about the players you’re speaking about.

I digress, I didn’t mean to drag this discussion this far off topic. Have a great day everyone 

• Upvote 4
3 minutes ago, FO2495 said:

No, I mean being the club that we sell to. Not every player will be $20 million to Bayern. We’ve got quite a few young players who will be $1m to $3m players who could easily be sold on a move to Scotland and will eventually want to play in Europe. Gallagher and Gurr were reserve teamers. Im referencing players like Brooks Lennon, Matheus Rossetto, George Campbell, etc.. players good enough to start for us (and do) who will never play at Barcelona but are good enough and interested in eventually playing in Europe.

Better to sell them to Scotland than to trade them within MLS to our direct competitors.

So if Gallagher and gurr was shit, and yous all knew they were shite, why did Atlanta let these shite players go to us at the start of our joining forces?, not a good business decision to flog the shite to the other partner 5 minutes into our twinned venture?. Do you know how many transfers that Aberdeen have paid 1 million in our whole history?, 3 million????, think you have the wrong league unless your talking of Celtic and rangers as it’s only them that can afford transfer fees like that, wouldn’t be good acumen to strengthen our nearest rivals when your supposed to be helping us?.

8 minutes ago, FO2495 said:

Barco isn’t very good, don’t let his price fool you. We’re about to give him away for free to a club in Brazil. Hyndman is bad, don’t like him. He won’t be in Atlanta much longer. Bello is 19 and has started for the national team multiple times in 2021 over his competition who play all throughout Europe. He started against Mexico in a final and won and had offers from Champions League clubs back in the summer.

Seems like you don’t know much about the players you’re speaking about.

I digress, I didn’t mean to drag this discussion this far off topic. Have a great day everyone 

A see international the Brazilian football club he’s going to finished up 12 last year but 2nd the year prior, can’t be that bad, and Atlanta themselves in September 2021 were raving about him after he came back from Japan?. Again cannot be that bad, also last year was rated at being a 15 million Argentinian winger/CAM. 

DD333256-222-A-49-C2-912-B-2-FC95-FDB50-

his levels at yous must have dropped off but to say he’s not very good?

1 hour ago, Dons79 said:

So if Gallagher and gurr was shit, and yous all knew they were shite, why did Atlanta let these shite players go to us at the start of our joining forces?, not a good business decision to flog the shite to the other partner 5 minutes into our twinned venture?. Do you know how many transfers that Aberdeen have paid 1 million in our whole history?, 3 million????, think you have the wrong league unless your talking of Celtic and rangers as it’s only them that can afford transfer fees like that, wouldn’t be good acumen to strengthen our nearest rivals when your supposed to be helping us?.

Shut the fuck up min. 

This place has gone to the dogs. Full of window lickers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
5 hours ago, Dons79 said:

your talking like bello is alfonso Davis?, he’s garbage, what’s bello won or achieved in his career that makes him good enough for Aberdeen?

What are you on about? The boy literally said not every player will be going to bayern munich so he’s clearly not talking like that. 

whats Bello won or achieved that makes him worthy of Aberdeen? Is that question for real or a wind up? We’ve just been turned down by a boy who plays for st mirren and our big summer signing of 2021 spent half his career in the championship and the other half in the jail 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Ke1t said:

One in four good signings is probably similar to the ratio of our non-US signings, though. 

We sign a hella amount of shite. 

I in 4 is being overly generous to Glass’s first attempt with us.

5 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

It seems as though Cormack thought Atlanta’s fringe players would be good enough to come and do a job here. Glass must have thought the same.

They were both very wrong. And the other signings they’ve made pretty much confirm they are a terrible judge of quality.

100% how I see it. No clue what is needed. 
Brown was a reasonably ‘safe bet’ signing but I’m sure very expensive, same rgds Ramirez to an extent. 
Watkins was probably viewed similar, as in safe bet/known quantity but he has been showing more signs of being a flop than a coup.

All the rest have been pretty much dross 

Cormack/Glass look very much the amateur boys trying to fake it & play with the pros 

23 minutes ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

Most were pleased when Gallagher signed too. Fuck knows what's happened there

Just comes across as being a twat somehow - sort of smug crater who thinks he's a lot better than he actually is because he played for Scotland a couple of times when there were no other central defenders available.