Dante Polvara

7 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Was always the risk going from the level he was at into training full time. His body obviously just couldn't take the stress of it. 

6 weeks out is the minimum but even when is is ready to resume training they'll have to take things really slowly. The last thing he will need is the summer break, presumably he'll be given an individual training programme to continue during it but I'm not convinced this loon will even be close to being ready to play for us until well into the new season

You think he got the double hernia with only one week of training? Clearly you know more than me on the medical side of things. But is it not more likely he had the hernia issue before he came and we knew this. Glass said last week he had a slight injury and I think the guy only arrived last Monday. 

17 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

You think he got the double hernia with only one week of training? Clearly you know more than me on the medical side of things. But is it not more likely he had the hernia issue before he came and we knew this. Glass said last week he had a slight injury and I think the guy only arrived last Monday. 

It's a relatively simple operation to repair a single hernia. A double one isn't much more of a problem in most cases.

Nevertheless it is a problem which can and has ended careers in a small number of cases,

I'd have to question why a young man would be walking around with a double hernia though. I can't imagine any circumstance, even if they were small, that he wouldn't have known about them. It would be at best very uncomfortable and at worst excruciatingly painful with the risk of at least one of them strangulating

24 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

It's a relatively simple operation to repair a single hernia. A double one isn't much more of a problem in most cases.

Nevertheless it is a problem which can and has ended careers in a small number of cases,

I'd have to question why a young man would be walking around with a double hernia though. I can't imagine any circumstance, even if they were small, that he wouldn't have known about them. It would be at best very uncomfortable and at worst excruciatingly painful with the risk of at least one of them strangulating

It's not a good look when a young lad comes here and does a week's training at the club and ends up in hospital for a double hernia operation. 

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's not a good look when a young lad comes here and does a week's training at the club and ends up in hospital for a double hernia operation. 

It’s maybe the only reason he came to the uk….free healthcare. Obviously had problems in the USA but since he was a student he couldn’t afford medical insurance. Glad he is getting sorted quickly as I was under the impression our medical staff were postponing too many operations.

35 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I have had a double hernia. Thought it was something to do with my ulcerative colitis. Down either side of my groin. It was okay when I was moving, but if I stood still for 5 minutes it was absolute hell. 
Got it virtually diagnosed by a Grampian Health IBD doctor. 
Keyhole surgery at Albyn a couple of months later and right as rain after a week (clearly I am no professional sportsman though). 

40 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

I have had a double hernia. Thought it was something to do with my ulcerative colitis. Down either side of my groin. It was okay when I was moving, but if I stood still for 5 minutes it was absolute hell. 
Got it virtually diagnosed by a Grampian Health IBD doctor. 
Keyhole surgery at Albyn a couple of months later and right as rain after a week (clearly I am no professional sportsman though). 

Any other health problems we should know about?

• Haha 2

Had the boy actually started training with us?

Havent the will to check out the Red TV interviews, in case I click on the Glass pre matcher peppered with “everyone can see what we’re trying to do” prompted by heavyweight spearing from Andrew Shinie and Tyrone.

surely to fuck he hadn’t been training and this is some sort of wee tidy up?

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I’ve had a hernia when I wasn’t much older than Polvara. It wasn’t hugely painful - more uncomfortable and throbbed during and after sport. I had the surgery and was up and running after two weeks and back playing football within a month - and I had the more invasive surgery which involved incisions. If they do it keyhole, he might only miss a few weeks. Not the end of the world by any stretch!

It will not end his career FFS!

Just now, Sonoftherock said:

I’ve had a hernia when I wasn’t much older than Polvara. It wasn’t hugely painful - more uncomfortable and throbbed during and after sport. I had the surgery and was up and running after two weeks and back playing football within a month - and I had the more invasive surgery which involved incisions. If they do it keyhole, he might only miss a few weeks. Not the end of the world by any stretch!

It will not end his career FFS!

It ended Tansey's career....

I did say he'd probably be fine. And for a double hernia repair keyhole surgery is the recommended repair method.

The recommended time before resuming training after surgery is 6 weeks. If you aren't a sportsman, the same time-frame is recommended before you recommence heavy lifting. (There is a technique called Advanced Open Preperitoneal Inguinal Hernia Repair which is done for single hernia repairs. It is open surgery ie not keyhole and this type of repair can lead to faster return to normal life including sports training in around 2-3 weeeks.......but not all surgeons offer it and it wouldn't be appropriate in a double hernia repair anyway)

On 1/18/2022 at 8:42 PM, YorkDon said:

13 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

It’s maybe the only reason he came to the uk….free healthcare. Obviously had problems in the USA but since he was a student he couldn’t afford medical insurance. 

Out for 3 years then as that's how long everybody else has to wait for a hernia op unless they go private , 

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

It ended Tansey's career....

I did say he'd probably be fine. And for a double hernia repair keyhole surgery is the recommended repair method.

The recommended time before resuming training after surgery is 6 weeks. If you aren't a sportsman, the same time-frame is recommended before you recommence heavy lifting. (There is a technique called Advanced Open Preperitoneal Inguinal Hernia Repair which is done for single hernia repairs. It is open surgery ie not keyhole and this type of repair can lead to faster return to normal life including sports training in around 2-3 weeeks.......but not all surgeons offer it and it wouldn't be appropriate in a double hernia repair anyway

he got a bone infection, which was just pure unlucky… anyone could get something like that from any operation! 
hernia ops are about as routine and safe as you could possibly get!

2 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

he got a bone infection, which was just pure unlucky… anyone could get something like that from any operation! 

I've never known anyone to get osteomyelitis from an appendectomy. Or a cataract removal....

12 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Plus him being an alkie wouldn’t have helped with his recovery ? 

2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Watched the interview with Polvara earlier on - 20 mins or so. Comes across well, seems like a nice chap and pleased to be here etc. Didn't learn anything too exciting about him - he's a Chelsea fan apparently and actually came across to train with them a few summers when he was younger.

That’s him right down in my estimations now. Hope he bangs his head off the top of the doorway on his way out of the hospital. Fuck Chelsea!

• Upvote 1