Dante Polvara

7 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

What are we expecting from a young guy who was playing college football until a year ago? Is he going to come in and dominate a midfield against a trio of internationals? The boy did okay, probably about as well as expected. He is a tidy footballer, decent technically, but needs to become a bit more streetwise and needs a bit more confidence and probably too develop a bit of a nastier side to his game. At the moment he's just another Dean Campbell - nice guy who can pass the ball a bit and keep possession, but very little else. I think he could develop into a decent player though - needs a run of games where we are dominating possession to see what he can do.

Difficulty for him being he'll be back on the bench very soon. When we bring in another midfielder I'd guess he may well go out on loan. 

Seem to remember an absolutely goal saving interception of a ball played along out six yard line that he diverted away from a celtic foot who couldnt fail to score. 

He did his best no doubt - we didnt lose because of him we lost because celtic were better - i couldnt name one player in our team who would even have got on their subs bench

Sunday was simply a free hit and will have absolutely zero bearing on where we end up. The month of August will tell us more than one day in July

• Upvote 3
6 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Said last season that we need to decide what role Polvara is expected to fill and then work on making him that player.

Technically he's fine to good, he reads the game well... he made a number of interceptions, including a crucial interception inside the box... and he was no worse than any of his team mates out there. In fact a couple of players were mostly anonymous, I thought.

He showed his inexperience twice and was punished both times, that won't happen often because he won't be playing Celtic every week.

He's going to be the new fall guy when things go wrong, that seems pretty clear, though, so buckle up Dante.

He is 100% going to be that man. Some fans only live in negativity. 

I agree technically very good, as was Campbell, but you need to add street smarts and physicality to that. Vital to survive in the Scottish league, where let's be honest, it's not exactly known for its finesse. 

I'd be looking at a loan for him. If we can get a couple of midfielders in then get him out on loan, preferably to a team tipped to be challenging at the top end of the championship or a team in the lower half of the Prem. We can't leave it too late to get him out on loan like the club did with Campbell, as in my opinion it stunted his development. 

9 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

What are we expecting from a young guy who was playing college football until a year ago? 

Let's also remember that he spent the vast majority of his time with us last season injured instead of being eased in to the team over the course of the rest of that season which is probably what should have happened.

If he builds out a bit and finds a bit of fire and aggression I think he'll be useful.

11 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

Let's also remember that he spent the vast majority of his time with us last season injured instead of being eased in to the team over the course of the rest of that season which is probably what should have happened.

If he builds out a bit and finds a bit of fire and aggression I think he'll be useful.

Definitely a player there. He needs games to develop. Whether that is here or out on loan is up to Goodwin.

4 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Players only become fall guys if they are playing shite or not up to scratch.

Surely?

Up to him to steer clear of such a path.

When the entire team is shite, last season for example, a certain element of the fan base focuses on one guy in particular, above and beyond all others.

This could be Dante's year.

10 Kelt Points to anyone who can tell me who was singled out in last year's Team O Near Relegation.

6 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

He is 100% going to be that man. Some fans only live in negativity. 

I agree technically very good, as was Campbell, but you need to add street smarts and physicality to that. Vital to survive in the Scottish league, where let's be honest, it's not exactly known for its finesse. 

I'd be looking at a loan for him. If we can get a couple of midfielders in then get him out on loan, preferably to a team tipped to be challenging at the top end of the championship or a team in the lower half of the Prem. We can't leave it too late to get him out on loan like the club did with Campbell, as in my opinion it stunted his development. 

I'd like to see him stay, rather than loaned out, and for Simmie to take him under his wing.

He was up against very good players yesterday, but he'll develop faster playing off the bench in the top flight against the rest of the teams in this division, imo.

There's a good player in there, it's up to the coaches to set him on the right path.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I'd like to see him stay, rather than loaned out, and for Simmie to take him under his wing.

He was up against very good players yesterday, but he'll develop faster playing off the bench in the top flight against the rest of the teams in this division, imo.

There's a good player in there, it's up to the coaches to set him on the right path.

I just don’t think that approach works with youngsters. Other than the exceptional talents like Ramsay & Fraser, who were so talented that the transition from youth football to senior football was instant. Young players need to be playing football to develop. I’d rather see our top youngsters loaned out until they are ready to command a place in the first XI… happy to fill our bench with loans or squad players who are able to make an impact. I think (and hope) the club are coming around to that idea with some of the patterns we’ve seen recently.  Some case examples:

Conor Barron got half a season playing with Kelty and he came back ready to go. Scott McKenna is another - he had a tough time by all accounts at Ayr, but he’s mentioned that he learnt a lot from the experience. 

Dean Campbell - I wish he’d been given a loan earlier in his time with us. He broke through at about 16 y/o, showed he had plenty of ability, but then spent about 3 or 4 years as a bit part player, never really stringing together a sustained run in the team. By the time he was 20 y/o, he hadn’t really shown any improvement from when he first broke through. He has some great attributes and is very good technically - but still some weeks he’d look lost. It was like he couldn’t figure out how to fit everything together and produce a 90 min performance where he could impact a match.

Polvara is not ready to play at this level. It’s really clear to see. At 22 y/o he absolute needs to be playing every week to develop. For what it’s worth, I’d love to see him joining Mason Hancock at Arbroath - what an education that’d be for him! 

18 minutes ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

I like Dante, he comes across as a very nice, jovial, likeable chap.

And there's the problem right there. He does need the club to steer him in the right direction to adapt and avoid whipping boy status (a quick look on Twitter tells me he's already well on the way)

"Huw come a boay fit's played a haundfae o games isnae doaminatin' agginst  Sayltuc?" Sort of stuff?

33 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

I just don’t think that approach works with youngsters. Young players need to be playing football to develop. I’d rather see our top youngsters loaned out until they are ready to command a place in the first XI… happy to fill our bench with loans or squad players who are able to make an impact. I think (and hope) the club are coming around to that idea with some of the patterns we’ve seen recently.  Some case examples:

Conor Barron got half a season playing with Kelty and he came back ready to go. Scott McKenna is another - he had a tough time by all accounts at Ayr, but he’s mentioned that he learnt a lot from the experience. 

Dean Campbell - I wish he’d been given a loan earlier in his time with us. He broke through at about 16 y/o, showed he had plenty of ability, but then spent about 3 or 4 years as a bit part player, never really stringing together a sustained run in the team. By the time he was 20 y/o, he hadn’t really shown any improvement from when he first broke through. He has some great attributes and is very good technically - but still some weeks he’d look lost. It was like he couldn’t figure out how to fit everything together and produce a 90 min performance where he could impact a match.

Polvara is not ready to play at this level. It’s really clear to see. At 22 y/o he absolute needs to be playing every week to develop. For what it’s worth, I’d love to see him joining Mason Hancock at Arbroath - what an education that’d be for him! 

I think a lot depends on the youngster in question, and my issue with Polvara is that he's not really what can be considered a youngster.

Maybe a half season at Cove or Peterhead would be a good idea, however I don't see him as a young 18 year old who still needs to develop physically, so can do that at his leisure in the lower leagues.

I think his primary check is his mental attitude. He doesn't know his best role, and he's not used to this level of physicality.

At Pittodrie he has access to first class facilities, a coach who played midfield at the top level, and first team experience.

I'd like to see him bulk up and watch some old footage of Hartley, Brown, and Hurlock just to get an idea.

1 hour ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

I like Dante, he comes across as a very nice, jovial, likeable chap.

And there's the problem right there. He does need the club to steer him in the right direction to adapt and avoid whipping boy status (a quick look on Twitter tells me he's already well on the way)

You never mentioned his playing ability though.

45 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I think a lot depends on the youngster in question, and my issue with Polvara is that he's not really what can be considered a youngster.

Maybe a half season at Cove or Peterhead would be a good idea, however I don't see him as a young 18 year old who still needs to develop physically, so can do that at his leisure in the lower leagues.

I think his primary check is his mental attitude. He doesn't know his best role, and he's not used to this level of physicality.

At Pittodrie he has access to first class facilities, a coach who played midfield at the top level, and first team experience.

I'd like to see him bulk up and watch some old footage of Hartley, Brown, and Hurlock just to get an idea.

I hope to fuck he never plays like hurlock ??

2 hours ago, Ke1t said:

When the entire team is shite, last season for example, a certain element of the fan base focuses on one guy in particular, above and beyond all others.

10 Kelt Points to anyone who can tell me who was singled out in last year's Team O Near Relegation.

Certain element?

Need to elaborate on that.

Some bams on twatter?

Anyone that was shite last season, took warranted criticism for whatever their shortcomings were.

Nobody was singled out by the fan base as a whole.

It won't be "Dante's year" anyway.

He won't be in the team enough, unless we have a cunting season for injuries and are nae signing any more mids, which is unlikely.

32 minutes ago, thurso said:

I hope to fuck he never plays like hurlock ??

Our lightweight teams of the past 20 years could only dream of having a savage like that in midfield. 

Course, playing in read instead of blue, he'd spend a lot of time on the naughty step. 

2 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Certain element?

Need to elaborate on that.

Some bams on twatter?

Anyone that was shite last season, took warranted criticism for whatever their shortcomings were.

Nobody was singled out by the fan base as a whole.

It won't be "Dante's year" anyway.

He won't be in the team enough, unless we have a cunting season for injuries and are nae signing any more mids, which is unlikely.

Which is why I said, 'a certain element' and not 'the fan base as a whole'

You're arguing about something I didn't say. 

The 140 page Ramirez thread, however, would give lie to the notion that no-one was singled out by that certain element. 

Just by way of comparison, Declan Gallagher gets about 13 pages of abuse, Bates gets 18.

16 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Which is why I said, 'a certain element' and not 'the fan base as a whole'

You're arguing about something I didn't say. 

The 140 page Ramirez thread, however, would give lie to the notion that no-one was singled out by that certain element. 

Just by way of comparison, Declan Gallagher gets about 13 pages of abuse, Bates gets 18.

• I know.
  • No I wasn't
  • Oh, that certain element.
  • Ah, that certain element again. Glad I know now what you were referring to.

19 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Come on. 

Folk pointing out that he was directly responsible for both goals is hardly unreasonable. 

I think he's a composed player, and there were games last season when he looked tidy. My criticism of him is he doesn't have that anger in him required to play against someone like Celtic. 

First goal he gets caught under it badly, so much so Welsh doesn't even have to jump. Terrible reading/marking at a crucial time in the game. 

Second goal, great strike of course, but he comes running out straight on, rather than blocking the space at an angle making it harder for Jota to beat him. His hips are totally square, really poor defending.

I agree it's not fair to judge him on one performance against Celtic but the worrying thing is the overall lack of aggression. It's not a league for that, you need to be both technically sound, and aggressive. 

3 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Come on. 

Folk pointing out that he was directly responsible for both goals is hardly unreasonable. 

I think he's a composed player, and there were games last season when he looked tidy. My criticism of him is he doesn't have that anger in him required to play against someone like Celtic. 

First goal he gets caught under it badly, so much so Welsh doesn't even have to jump. Terrible reading/marking at a crucial time in the game. 

Second goal, great strike of course, but he comes running out straight on, rather than blocking the space at an angle making it harder for Jota to beat him. His hips are totally square, really poor defending.

I agree it's not fair to judge him on one performance against Celtic but the worrying thing is the overall lack of aggression. It's not a league for that, you need to be both technically sound, and aggressive. 

Totally agree.

Campbell was the same type of player and just seemed to do enough and no more.

Might be a confidence thing.

22 hours ago, Ke1t said:

I would rather check on Dante's Progress ? rather than nitpicking him for unwarranted grief. 

3 hours ago, CCB III said:

Come on. 

People arent simply 'pointing out he was at fault for the goals', they're saying he's shite based on those two errors against likely the strongest side in the league.

4 hours ago, muttonhumper said:
  • I know.
  • No I wasn't
  • Oh, that certain element.
  • Ah, that certain element again. Glad I know now what you were referring to.

• Didn't seem like you did.
  • It's right there in your post.
  • Correct.
  • Excellent. 
1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

People arent simply 'pointing out he was at fault for the goals', they're saying he's shite based on those two errors against likely the strongest side in the league.

Works both ways though.  I watched Polvara (at fault for the two goals against the strongest team in the league) and thought yeah, I can work with that, there's a player in there.  Equally I watched a.n.other (wont pick him out) and genuinely had my doubts from the off and was given very little to change that impression.  I will of course be over the moon for him to prove me wrong.

There were others at fault for the second goal to do you can’t just pin it on polvara. The boy had a decent game not as bad as some on here are making out. In one paper yesterday I even saw he got Aberdeen’s man of the match. Which isn’t saying much tho