Zander Clark

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I get what you are saying as Lewis is on such a hefty contract and that is what I think is the only thing that has stopped the  problem being addressed for about 2 years despite it being clear he was becoming a total liability.

But we won't progress with such a 'keeper as our first choice

Ideally we get him moved on but if we can't, or he chooses to stay put for whatever reason I'm afraid we just have to suck it up and curse McInnes for handing him such an onerous deal

Settle down.

Clark is a slightly above average goalie in our league so that's what we'd be getting.   Fine for a number 2, questionable for a number 1 for a club with any ambition.  Nowhere near as good as Lewis at his previous peak but possibly better (or at least more confident) than the current version of Lewis.

Doesn't seem to fit the 'new' under 28 transfer policy though or does that not apply to goalies?

25 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Craig Gordon has been very good this season, there's no doubting that and if it wasn't for him they'd be arguably mid-table, but at this moment in time, Clark shades it for me.

On his day Clark is an excellent keeper but Craig Gordon is better from what Iv seen id say Liam Kelly at Motherwell is as good as Clark maybe slightly better 

As I said on another thread im happy to go for this if we can get a move for Lewis including a transfer fee. If we can't then i'd let zander clark go by and wait till further down the line. There is no way the situation merits paying off Lewis or having such an expensive back up

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Clark is a slightly above average goalie in our league so that's what we'd be getting.   Fine for a number 2, questionable for a number 1 for a club with any ambition.  Nowhere near as good as Lewis at his previous peak but possibly better (or at least more confident) than the current version of Lewis.

Doesn't seem to fit the 'new' under 28 transfer policy though or does that not apply to goalies?

You must know it's the one position where age isn't quite the limiting factor that it is for outfield players

Gordon just turned 39, McGregor turning 40 in a fortnight or so.

Clark turns 30 in the summer. No reason (other than an unlucky serious injury) that we shouldn't get 3 to 4 years good service out of him as a minimum and as long as he looks after himself maybe a good few years beyond.

16 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Each of them are excellent 'keepers, however if I had a choice, I would be most comfortable and confident with Clark.

A brilliant all-round No. 1.

As long as who ever is playing keeps the ball out of the net I don’t really care how the rest of his game is

So if we sign Clark, keep Lewis or play young Ritchie the number one thing anyone should look at in a keeper is can he stop shots and as far as I’m aware they can all do that pretty good 

4 minutes ago, thurso said:

As long as who ever is playing keeps the ball out of the net I don’t really care how the rest of his game is

So if we sign Clark, keep Lewis or play young Ritchie the number one thing anyone should look at in a keeper is can he stop shots and as far as I’m aware they can all do that pretty good 

Pretty much agree.

Craig Gordon is like Bambi on ice with the ball at his feet. Still a great keeper. 

Besides, no point in having a ball playing keeper if he’s passing it out to the likes of Bates, Considine or Gallagher FFS 

2 minutes ago, thurso said:

It's now the basic requirement of a goalkeeper

Football has evolved over the past 15 years......goalkeepers are now being used as auxiliary sweepers and with the rule changes that have occurred they now have to be proficient with the ball at their feet

Sadly for Joe, in the past 2 or 3 years he has been losing embarrassing goals on a fairly regular basis. Is it any coincidence this seemed to occur in tandem with getting the captaincy??

After getting dropped earlier this season (absolutely deservedly) he seems to have recovered his form and concentration

But I'm afraid he just doesn't have it in him to improve his skills with the ball at his feet. I said a couple of weeks ago and I was absolutely serious that there are countless 10 year old loons who are better with a ball at their feet than Lewis can ever aspire to be

37 minutes ago, thurso said:

Thats absolutely fine but the club need to shut up about a expansive style of football if signing players that cant pass the ball. Its just plain embarrassing. 

53 minutes ago, thurso said:

Very true min. However, as you know, there is far more to being a 'keeper than being just a shotstopper though.

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

You must know it's the one position where age isn't quite the limiting factor that it is for outfield players

Gordon just turned 39, McGregor turning 40 in a fortnight or so.

Clark turns 30 in the summer. No reason (other than an unlucky serious injury) that we shouldn't get 3 to 4 years good service out of him as a minimum and as long as he looks after himself maybe a good few years beyond.

Oscar Perez made it 46. Pretty decent in his 40s. Aberdeen should go get Chuy Corona when his contract winds down and put him out there til he's 50.

Some keepers do age like a fine wine. 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

It's now the basic requirement of a goalkeeper

Football has evolved over the past 15 years......goalkeepers are now being used as auxiliary sweepers and with the rule changes that have occurred they now have to be proficient with the ball at their feet

Sadly for Joe, in the past 2 or 3 years he has been losing embarrassing goals on a fairly regular basis. Is it any coincidence this seemed to occur in tandem with getting the captaincy??

After getting dropped earlier this season (absolutely deservedly) he seems to have recovered his form and concentration

But I'm afraid he just doesn't have it in him to improve his skills with the ball at his feet. I said a couple of weeks ago and I was absolutely serious that there are countless 10 year old loons who are better with a ball at their feet than Lewis can ever aspire to be

25 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Very true min. However, as you know, there is far more to being a 'keeper than being just a shotstopper though.

That would be right if we were Man City or Liverpool but look at our league the teams above us in the league they have hardly got keepers that are great with the ball at their feet, first and foremost they are shot stoppers. I could probably go as far and say there isn’t a keeper in the league id class as a “sweeper keeper”. 

47 minutes ago, slippers said:

Thats absolutely fine but the club need to shut up about a expansive style of football if signing players that cant pass the ball. Its just plain embarrassing. 

All you need from a keeper is to catch the ball and throw it quickly to one of our players ready to attack for expansive football.
Joes biggest fault I’d say is he holds onto it to long by that time our players are closed down so it’s either a wee pass to a centre half or a big boot out the park or to one of their defenders. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, thurso said:

That would be right if we were Man City or Liverpool but look at our league the teams above us in the league they have hardly got keepers that are great with the ball at their feet, first and foremost they are shot stoppers. I could probably go as far and say there isn’t a keeper in the league id class as a “sweeper keeper”. 

Even the so-called greatest league in the planet's 'keepers get caught out trying to be like Franco Baresi playing out from the back.