St Mirren 1 - 0 Aberdeen

I could have gone to the game yesterday as I live far closer to Paisley then Aberdeen these days. However after a performance against sevco that could (probably should) have delivered 3 points and a comfortable cup win it seemed inevitable that a turgid performance was just around the corner. That seems to have been one of the more consistent things this season.

We are utterly toothless upfront and currently lack anything inspiring on the bench. It felt like our attacking changes last night did nothing but make us even more blunt and ineffective going forward. I bloody hope we sign at least two attacking options before the end of January and that they are able to contribute something between now and the end of the season. I worry though that I'm expecting too much on that front.

Just to make matters worse my father-in-law is a St Mirren fan so just makes a result/performance for me all the more worse!

8 minutes ago, RED_JOHN said:

Since everyone else is having a right good go at each other on here it’s probably a good opportunity to say that last night’s performance was the worst of the season. We didn’t look like scoring and since we are always vulnerable at the back (young Ramsay was caught sleeping) we were always up against it. 
Another thing is the starting eleven was horrendous and the subs bench was extremely weak. Ramirez didn’t have the best of matches but if something happens to this lad we are truly in deep trouble. 
Hopefully the 2 new signings are going to give us something we lack. If they don’t then turn the lights off until the next transfer window.

Well said that man, an awful lot of hostility on this board at times.

9 hours ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

I'm happier with the unpredictability of this season than the grind of the McIness era that came before it

Admittedly we wont get the usual pre-season european run, but I have faithj that we might even challenge for the top spot next season

You have to have faith in the prawcess

Most of this season has been a grind pretty much on par with the last couple of years under McInnes. The main difference is we are grinding out defeats rather than wins now.

Almost a year in the job and no signs of progress. Folk can be fooled by a draw against Sevco and beating a third division team by a few goals, and a couple of flukey results due to handballs and goalkeeper calamities. Overall this season has been tedious and painful to watch. Ramsay breaking through has been the only positive thing about it. Even the fact we now have a striker who is a proper predator in the box isn't too exciting because we hardly ever create chances for him (unless it's against a third division team who may as well have been traffic cones).

7 minutes ago, cruickc2 said:

I really rate Connor Ronan on loan at St Mirren, he is a very good player, I think he's now scored twice against us.

Much better player than McGrath and is way too good for St Mirren, we should be enquiring about his availability.

He is a Wolves player. St Mirren got him... we got Austin Samuels.

The young lad Henderson is a decent player too I think, although I've not seen much of him to be fair.

Everyone was shite last night, so not going to bother singling anyone out. 

Felt like one of those performances you get after a European tie, with the team lethargic and not 100% with it. Only, there was no excuses for that last night. 

It's clear to see we are completely devoid of attacking options on the bench, and we have nobody to come in for Ramirez to either a) change things up b) give us something different or c) replace Ramirez if he's injured or needing a break. 

I've not read the rest of this thread, or the Stephen Glass one, but i'm guessing it's full of bed wetting so i'll not bother. 

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

Felt like one of those performances you get after a European tie, with the team lethargic and not 100% with it. Only, there was no excuses for that last night. 

It's clear to see we are completely devoid of attacking options on the bench, and we have nobody to come in for Ramirez to either a) change things up b) give us something different or c) replace Ramirez if he's injured or needing a break. 

I've not read the rest of this thread, or the Stephen Glass one, but i'm guessing it's full of bed wetting so i'll not bother. 

What a fantastic heap of shit you lot in red dished up last night, not for the first time this season ,  glass get a grip of this bunch of defeatists your an embarrassment to the name AFC. = Aberdeen Football Club.     Not AFC (A Fucking Catastrophe. )    You lot roll over and lay down far too much, time to change your job, out of football.  PS. Forget about the Scottish cup Motherwell will thrash you lot that took the field last night. To the above comment on bed wetting,  it’s a frigging flood mate. 

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

Bit hypocritical since your post is wetting the bed every bit as much as anyone else has 

2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Most of this season has been a grind pretty much on par with the last couple of years under McInnes. The main difference is we are grinding out defeats rather than wins now.

Almost a year in the job and no signs of progress. Folk can be fooled by a draw against Sevco and beating a third division team by a few goals, and a couple of flukey results due to handballs and goalkeeper calamities. Overall this season has been tedious and painful to watch. Ramsay breaking through has been the only positive thing about it. Even the fact we now have a striker who is a proper predator in the box isn't too exciting because we hardly ever create chances for him (unless it's against a third division team who may as well have been traffic cones).

Good post. Last night was essentially DMball but worse. Fundamentally, despite the myth of ‘we’re trying to do something different here’, the reality is a shitter version of the previous product. DM evolved to passing the ball around the back 4, then launching it. we just do more of that now and slower, increasing possession stats and creating the illusion that there is a correlation between possession and control of the game. We didn’t score goals under DM, latterly,  which is largely still a problem, especially against teams that know we carry little to no creative threat and are happy to sit in. Finally, we’re defensively weaker than we were under DM. We concede the first goal so often.

my point is not that DM was great, it’s just that on current optics SG is worse but appears to be working to a similar strategy ie not ‘something different’, which was always time buying bullshit.

I can’t see much hope for sustained optimism either. His faith in Ojo in pretty much any position on the park is mind blowinginly short sighted. There are others in a similar bracket.

all just a bit shit and in need of change. Realistically, change of manager and a large chunk of the playing squad.

16 minutes ago, Medw1311 said:

There was only 1 change to the starting eleven from last week against the huns though...

I know you'll have a field day with what that change was though!

We did to sevco what St. Mirren did last night, be competitive, close down the opposition and try and nick a goal.

We lack creative players that can break down stubborn defences. 

32 minutes ago, Medw1311 said:

There was only 1 change to the starting eleven from last week against the huns though...

I know you'll have a field day with what that change was though!

Trust me, I don’t take any pleasure whatsoever watching us play certain players. I want all our players to be of a very reasonable standard and I want all our players to do well. Obviously they are only SPFL Premier League players and are going to have a bad game now and again but unfortunately for some it’s only a good game now and then. 

The players seem to have been completely brainwashed by the emphasis on possession above all else. To see Bates pass the ball forward 20 yards only to have it sent straight back to him time and again almost became farcical.

Glass needs to wake up to the fact that his tactics are stifling the team. Who are they trying to kid that this is the new exciting brand of  fottball. If they believe it they are totally delusional. The first half last night was diabolical. Lazy and gutless lack of effort was all we saw.

Cormack is a disaster in the making.

3 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

We did to sevco what St. Mirren did last night, be competitive, close down the opposition and try and nick a goal.

I'd say we controlled the game vs the Huns. We did do the things you say but we also dominated the ball, used it well when in possession and tried to create chances. 

Last night we were completely unthreatening and completely laboured in possession, despite dominating it. 

3 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

We lack creative players that can break down stubborn defences. 

That I do completely agree with. 

It may seem counterintuitive but  don’t think creative players will hep much given that our build up play is s incredibly slow, that the opposing team invariably has everyone behind the ball in a good shape before we eventually decide to make a forward move. Unfortunately I can’t the new signings, especially the winger, being effective because of this reason. We rarely seem to vary our style of play, it tends to be Lewis gives the ball to one of the back four and 2 minutes and 25 passes later it’s still with the back four, who have maybe advanced to 40 yards from our goal. The back four then decide to pass forward into a congested area, with everyone in the opposition behind the ball and in good shape and things break down. Repeat ad nauseum. Even last night, 1-0 down with 5 minutes to go, there was no urgency to get the ball forward. And when the forward pass did go to an Aberdeen player, invariably it was sent backwards to where it came from. I despair.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Stoneybloke said:

The players seem to have been completely brainwashed by the emphasis on possession above all else. To see Bates pass the ball forward 20 yards only to have it sent straight back to him time and again almost became farcical.

Glass needs to wake up to the fact that his tactics are stifling the team. Who are they trying to kid that this is the new exciting brand of  fottball. If they believe it they are totally delusional. The first half last night was diabolical. Lazy and gutless lack of effort was all we saw.

What tactics would you use 

17 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

It's hardly wetting the bed to say we played badly last night and saying we need more attacking options. That's pretty fucking obvious.  I'm not calling for the managers head after every defeat, that's bed wetting. 

There is complacency and there is naive optimism that SG might know what he's doing but sadly he has consistently demonstrated he cannot set up a team to beat what should be weaker opposition - the two  games where he has done so were down to a horrific goalkeeping error and a refereeing mistake - he also can't really set us up defensively - we'll lose more than we win and for every high we'll have more lows. 

I don't completely blame SG - though a man of honour might recognise he is failing and do the decent thing - I blame DC who patently is a snake oil salesman or delusional enough to need medical assistance.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Stoneybloke said:

Mccrorie bursting out of defence, 20 yards and passing it to Jet who then passed it 25 yards back the way, instantly, whilst mccrorie was still running forward was classic

5 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Didn’t understand Willie Miller going on about our ‘striking problems’ and talking about Ramirez.

Our main problem is that we don’t have anyone that can beat a man and get the opposition on the back foot. 

Hedges is pretty much the only one that can do that from time to time, but he can’t be relied on to consistently do it effectively.  But because he’s the only one we can’t afford to drop him and if he goes during this window , it’s essential that we replace him with another player like that. Ideally , we’ll get another player like that in to play in tandem with Hedges.  His best spell for us was when both him and Wright were playing together.

11 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Didn’t understand Willie Miller going on about our ‘striking problems’ and talking about Ramirez.

Our main problem is that we don’t have anyone that can beat a man and get the opposition on the back foot. 

Impacts the possession stats if you’re stupid enough to try a more speculative pass and lose the ball or take a man on, get tackled and lose the ball. 
it’s better just to play it square and backwards and maintain the numbers.

we could secure a nil nil draw with the farmers and 90% possession if we just kicked the ball about the back and Joe Lewis. Certainly worth considering. 

2 hours ago, Itsagoal said:

Getting the ball forward much, much quicker, vary the play with some diagonal passes, even some long balls sometimes, just to mix things up occasionally.

We could of got forward quicker but I think that was more down to st mirren a tactics. 

Wher we tried long balls or switching diagonal passes they were generally bad passes or easily cut out by st mirren defenders or midfielders 

3 hours ago, Stoneybloke said:

It would be more "exciting" if we just played with 2 target men and blootered the ball up to them for 90 minutes and played off the scraps. Passing the ball around in triangles and eventually going back to the defenders or goalkeeper is the exact opposite of exciting. The passing is so slow as well and there's never much movement up ahead. I felt a bit sorry for Bates last night - he was trying to pass the ball forward through the lines, or come out of defence with it, but there was hardly ever any pass on for him and whenever there was the player he played it to inevitably just played it right back to him or someone further behind him, or tried a stupid little flick which ended up going straight to St Mirren.

Something else that annoys me while I'm at it... throw ins... nobody ever moves or makes a run or tries to create space. Every throw in is just a heap of folk standing still.

3 minutes ago, thurso said:

We could of got forward quicker but I think that was more down to st mirren a tactics. 

Wher we tried long balls or switching diagonal passes they were generally bad passes or easily cut out by st mirren defenders or midfielders 

Play the ball more quickly into your (many) midfield players and play in their half rather than knocking it about in your own.  No need to punt it, we've got players than can handle a ball into feet. 

Why do we have defenders tasked with keeping possession rather than the midfield?  It makes no logical sense. The midfielders are far better at controlling and passing the ball and they're not the last line of defence if they make a mistake. 

That alone would help change things for the better.