Aberdeen 1 - 1 St Johnstone

2 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Lewis is not a liability, please shut the fuck up. He was clearly chucked straight back in last night because Woods is so fucking awful. Lewis is one of the best keepers in the league, it’s the defence that’s the issue.

He is fucking shite and has caused the team 9 points at least this season , i remember the one against St Mirren that went thru his out stretched arms , and last nights went down like a 60 year old and never reacted to the second or third ball .

5 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Lewis is not a liability, please shut the fuck up. He was clearly chucked straight back in last night because Woods is so fucking awful. Lewis is one of the best keepers in the league, it’s the defence that’s the issue.

Have you seen him play the last couple of years? He's atrocious. As I said, first 2-3 years he was excellent, undoubtedly one of the better keepers in the league. However, last couple of years he's been throwing away points left right and centre. Can hardly remember him making a decent save all season - every time the opposition shoot they score. 

He may well have been thrown back in last night because Woods is horrific, but just because you're better than Woods doesn't mean you're any good. He is far from being one of the best keepers in the league now - I would take most of the other keepers in the league over him...

McGregor and McLoughlin at Sevco, Hart at Celtic, Gordon at Hearts, Clarke at St Johnstone, Siegrist at Dundee Utd, Kelly at Motherwell - those are just the ones that spring to mind as better keepers at this point in time. Look at the stats - Joe Lewis is the WORST keeper in the league. Scottish Premiership Goalkeeper Stats | FBref.com - 18.2% clean sheet rate, miles behind everyone else. 58.8% save rate, below everyone else despite having less shots on target against him than most keepers in the league.

2 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Have you seen him play the last couple of years? He's atrocious. As I said, first 2-3 years he was excellent, undoubtedly one of the better keepers in the league. However, last couple of years he's been throwing away points left right and centre. Can hardly remember him making a decent save all season - every time the opposition shoot they score. 

He may well have been thrown back in last night because Woods is horrific, but just because you're better than Woods doesn't mean you're any good. He is far from being one of the best keepers in the league now - I would take most of the other keepers in the league over him...

McGregor and McLoughlin at Sevco, Hart at Celtic, Gordon at Hearts, Clarke at St Johnstone, Siegrist at Dundee Utd, Kelly at Motherwell - those are just the ones that spring to mind as better keepers at this point in time. Look at the stats - Joe Lewis is the WORST keeper in the league. Scottish Premiership Goalkeeper Stats | FBref.com - 18.2% clean sheet rate, miles behind everyone else. 58.8% save rate, below everyone else despite having less shots on target against him than most keepers in the league.

As much as I agree with a lot you say, a keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him. That aside, we need a new number 1.

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

As much as I agree with a lot you say, a keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him. That aside, we need a new number 1.

There's an element of that... but surely the fact we've had less shots on target against us than most other teams suggests the defence hasn't been as bad as we think (although it has certainly been shambolic at times). The problem is that Lewis only saves 50% of the shots that end up on target.

Is there also a counter argument - the defence is only as good as the keeper behind them? The keeper is the one who instils confidence in the defence and organises the defence.

44 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Remember what uncle Ebbe said about stats.

28 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

There's an element of that... but surely the fact we've had less shots on target against us than most other teams suggests the defence hasn't been as bad as we think (although it has certainly been shambolic at times). The problem is that Lewis only saves 50% of the shots that end up on target.

Is there also a counter argument - the defence is only as good as the keeper behind them? The keeper is the one who instils confidence in the defence and organises the defence.

Or perhaps the shots that he has conceded have come from positions where teams are more likely to score from due to the poor defending? 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Remember what uncle Ebbe said about stats.

Or perhaps the shots that he has conceded have come from positions where teams are more likely to score from due to the poor defending? 

Not sure whether such a thing exists, but if there was a montage of all the goals he's conceded this season (and last) I think it would be quite clear that he is in fact utterly useless.

• Upvote 1