Summer 2022 Transfer Window

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I don't think we need to be quite so dramatic 'loser mentality'.

I hope we can get something special on the park but I wouldn't class Goodwin as a failure if he Ronan'd, Alnwick'd, Alan Forrest'd, Harry Souter'd, Martin Boyle'd (or the likes of) etc his way to a comfortable top 4 place and we are 20-30 points better off.

Top 4 place? We have a 15m budget and braga have a 20m budget with proper European campaigns behind them and currently in quarter finals of europa why can’t we dream a little. The money we are spending we simply aren’t getting value for money in current markets. Top 4 is a loser mentality, if that’s the remit it’s wrong! 

14 hours ago, slippers said:

Top 4 place? We have a 15m budget and braga have a 20m budget with proper European campaigns behind them and currently in quarter finals of europa why can’t we dream a little. The money we are spending we simply aren’t getting value for money in current markets. Top 4 is a loser mentality, if that’s the remit it’s wrong! 

Of course can aim and hope for better but my only point is the McInnes signing tactic guarantees success to a level.

Yes, you can then try to sparkle some magic dust with maybe some incredible signings and your own style of football.

My only point is I expect Goodwin to go down the safe route for his signings this year and I wouldnt criticise him for it.

We will turn over about ten players

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

Of course can aim and hope for better but my only point is the McInnes signing tactic guarantees success to a level.

Yes, you can then try to sparkle some magic dust with maybe some incredible signings and your own style of football.

My only point is I expect Goodwin to go down the safe route for his signings this year and I wouldnt criticise him for it.

We will turn over about ten players

I get your point. I hope it’s a bit of both. Quite excited about the summer window! Can’t help but think Europe would be a massive boost for signing players even if it is just a a few qualifiers! If we can finish the season strongly it will help greatly, can’t see us being a incredibly attractive proposition a few weeks back! 

54 minutes ago, slippers said:

I get your point. I hope it’s a bit of both. Quite excited about the summer window! Can’t help but think Europe would be a massive boost for signing players even if it is just a a few qualifiers! If we can finish the season strongly it will help greatly, can’t see us being a incredibly attractive proposition a few weeks back! 

Next game is always the biggest.

Dundee away is the biggest game for us as we aim for Europe

55 minutes ago, slippers said:

Do you really think 4 games against part-timers from Iceland & Sweden will coax players to Pittodrie?

8 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Do you really think 4 games against part-timers from Iceland & Sweden will coax players to Pittodrie?

Not on its own but its a general sign that the club is going in the right direction and that bigger things might happen sooner rather than later. 

Certainly more attractive than the prospect of playing league cup group stages. 

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Not on its own but its a general sign that the club is going in the right direction and that bigger things might happen sooner rather than later. 

Certainly more attractive than the prospect of playing league cup group stages. 

This! 

If we can somehow finish this season as the 4th best team in the country instead of the 10th I think it would make a big difference in attracting players to us. I fancy us to let Ramirez go, his wages combined with Browns will allow us to hopefully sign 2/3 quality signings if we can find them. I also anticipate us spending over 1m on transfer fees this summer. The club look as if they are willing to speculate to accumulate so it’s an exciting time, we just need to put faith in our recruitment again… they really need to get more right then wrong this summer and if they do I really think we could have a quality season next season. The recruitment is by far my biggest worry for next season with so much of our season depending on it. 

38 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Beat those part time fishermen/Abba fan club members and you won't be playing against the massive European club sides for sure but at least you'll probably be facing a team that you have actually heard of before. A wee trip to face the likes of Honved, Legia Warsaw or Servette sure as hell beats a Wednesday evening away to Stirling Albion or Edinburgh City.

• Upvote 3
11 hours ago, ThomohawkKid said:

This guy is the source. He gave the Ramirez exclusive. This is a banker. 

Not convinced we need to sign a left back.

Ok to go with Jack Mackenzie, Kieran Ngwenya, Considine and Hayes as left back cover next season.

I am willing to give Mackenzie a fresh start but I'm really not convinced by him at all however given the overall calibre of the four of them there is no need to think any more about left back

46 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Ok to go with Jack Mackenzie, Kieran Ngwenya, Considine and Hayes as left back cover next season.

I am willing to give Mackenzie a fresh start but I'm really not convinced by him at all however given the overall calibre of the four of them there is no need to think any more about left back

Disagree. 

MacKenzie just isn't a good enough footballer to be an overlapping left back/wing back in a team that intends to play attacking football. However he might still be of use as a left sided centre back playing in a back 3 so I wouldn't be binning him just yet either. But essentially he's a squad player for me.

Ngwenya has seemingly done well at Kelty but he's completely unproven at a higher level. If he has a very good pre-season he might be worth throwing in for the first 2 or 3 league matches to see if he sinks or swims. If he does well, great, we've found the answer. If he doesn't impress, get him back out on loan. Should still leave a couple of weeks in the transfer window 

Considine........never blessed with any pace, age and his injury won't have improved it any. He'd get taken to the cleaners at left back now by players that 3 years ago he would have coped with comfortably.

Hayes....just think he's far more effective when he doesn't have the added burden of having to think about defensive duties. 

If a left back of the desired quality and attributes is available and in budget then it would be remiss of us to let them pass us by.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Lolz. read that back tord...

mackenzie is poor. Considine is done as a left (was he ever one?!), Hayes isn't a left back and ngwenya is untried. 

3 hours ago, Tord31 said:

We need a starting left back.

Hayes is a stop gap.   
McKenzie isn’t ready (I’m not sure he will ever be - I’d loan him out next season).  
Ngwenya is unknown & in the one brief appearance he had at Ross County he didn’t look ready, albeit it was 18 months ago. He might be the back up left back next season.

But we need a starting, first choice left back IMO. 

3 minutes ago, super_al said:

Is this boy any good?

Just looking the now, the lad is on loan at the second worst team in the polish championship. He’s played for Poland at youth level up to the u19s. Looks an interesting shout but doubt anyone will have any idea if he’s any good! 

6 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Disagree. 

MacKenzie just isn't a good enough footballer to be an overlapping left back/wing back in a team that intends to play attacking football. However he might still be of use as a left sided centre back playing in a back 3 so I wouldn't be binning him just yet either. But essentially he's a squad player for me.

Ngwenya has seemingly done well at Kelty but he's completely unproven at a higher level. If he has a very good pre-season he might be worth throwing in for the first 2 or 3 league matches to see if he sinks or swims. If he does well, great, we've found the answer. If he doesn't impress, get him back out on loan. Should still leave a couple of weeks in the transfer window 

Considine........never blessed with any pace, age and his injury won't have improved it any. He'd get taken to the cleaners at left back now by players that 3 years ago he would have coped with comfortably.

Hayes....just think he's far more effective when he doesn't have the added burden of having to think about defensive duties. 

If a left back of the desired quality and attributes is available and in budget then it would be remiss of us to let them pass us by.

4 hours ago, DD1903 said:

Lolz. read that back tord...

mackenzie is poor. Considine is done as a left (was he ever one?!), Hayes isn't a left back and ngwenya is untried. 

4 hours ago, PondHopper said:

Need to sign or bring a lb in on loan this summer. Otherwise Dean Campbell may be the best by default which is not cool

3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We need a starting left back.

Hayes is a stop gap.   
McKenzie isn’t ready (I’m not sure he will ever be - I’d loan him out next season).  
Ngwenya is unknown & in the one brief appearance he had at Ross County he didn’t look ready, albeit it was 18 months ago. He might be the back up left back next season.

But we need a starting, first choice left back IMO. 

Ok I should rephrase.

Left back is about our 7th or 8th priority this summer. 

but aye they are all shite/average/34

12 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Ok I should rephrase.

Left back is about our 7th or 8th priority this summer. 

but aye they are all shite/average/34

My man Consi will be 35 very soon

Whats the story with McKenzie? Doesnt seem long ago everyone was talking about him becoming an EPL player along with Ramsay. 

Even my prediction that he could, at best, become a long term Aberdeen player is now looking off the money!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Whats the story with McKenzie? Doesnt seem long ago everyone was talking about him becoming an EPL player along with Ramsay. 

Even my prediction that he could, at best, become a long term Aberdeen player is now looking off the money!

It's not happening for Mackenzie but he's not ready to be written off completely yet.

33 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I can't remember which manager it was that said that boys from the North East are too nice at times to be professional footballers, McKenzie strikes me as being great son-in-law material but not nasty enough to be a Premiership footballer.

8 hours ago, super_al said:

Hibs are after the Saint Mirren goalkeeper now.

Players don't choose Hibs over us - if we want him we'll get him.  Not convinced he's an upgrade on Lewis though.

35 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Don't recall that.  Think he could be a decent centre half, can see him being converted and having a long career with us similar to Considine

6 minutes ago, NEM said:

Players don't choose Hibs over us - if we want him we'll get him.  Not convinced he's an upgrade on Lewis though.

Don't recall that.  Think he could be a decent centre half, can see him being converted and having a long career with us similar to Considine

There were a few shouts as to who had the higher ceiling and theyd both go far....  and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that topic either! It remains relevant now. Mackenzie could still go far IMO, but hes certainly out of the picture just now. They both looked good attacking full backs in the first couple months of the season anyway. Albeit they probably left us exposed at the back when conceding a hunner goals!

I have thought the same with the Consi comparison