Summer 2022 Transfer Window

loaning a player from the huns/tims with an option to buy doesnt really work.

if they are pretty shite or average we should have avoided the option as we could have got him on a free later or an extended loan. 

if they are a success they'll probably have a better option to go back on better terms than we are willing to offer.

McCrorie was different as that was a loan with a fixed obligation to buy the year after.

3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He’s 56 in July. 
Might’ve lost a bit of pace, but would certainly add experience to the back line. 

2 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

No danger of anyone being pleased in this place.

I disagree, we should be looking to do better than Mackenzie. However, if Scales does come here he won't be playing LB.

John Scales retired a long time ago min.

Done by tord...a new low chaps

2 hours ago, Daisy1903 said:

Christie was quality for us and only some penny pinching by septic stopped him signing permanently

Yes Christie was quality for us but he had had plenty of experience at Inverness before moving to Celtic. He was a proven player. Scales has barely played 60 games in his whole career so far. 

I'd much rather have an experienced proven centre half than a Celtic reserve.

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

???????

Isn't the end of the world yet still you bleat like a little lamb...

Probably because people like you keep coming up with excuse after excuse for him. First it was not his squad so not responsible for a disgraceful run of results and now it’s this exciting signing we may be loaning or signing from Celtic reserves.  So bizzare! Dare say their will be some excuse for Goodwin if he dosnt start the season well. 

12 minutes ago, slippers said:

Probably because people like you keep coming up with excuse after excuse for him. First it was not his squad so not responsible for a disgraceful run of results and now it’s this exciting signing we may be loaning or signing from Celtic reserves.  So bizzare! Dare say their will be some excuse for Goodwin if he dosnt start the season well. 

Get your spelling sorted oot for the love of fuck min. Then worry aboot forming coherent arguments 

3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

100% agree.

If we had signed Ireland’s player of the year this time last season, we’d all have been pleased with that? 

Depends if he went to Seville or not ?

39 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

I'd much rather have an experienced proven centre half than a Celtic reserve.

You'd also greet if that experienced proven centre half was Charles Dunne. Canny win. Surely a punt on a younger player is better?

A loan with an option to buy is smart business. No point in shelling out 300k - 500k on a player who may or may not work out. We can fully review if he is worth the value of a potential deal after a season of working with him.

I think this could be a decent signing.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

Use some of the Ramsay fee and sign Scales on a permanent. Celtic paid half a million, offer them half and see what they say and if needs must go as high as the quoted amount for Dunne. 

4 hours ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

Having not seen enough of him I can't say if he is exciting or not. However, Goodwin can hardly come out with anything else at that stage, particularly when it sounded like the deal was not quite done. 

"Aye we're getting a player in. He's nae shite but he's nae great either. He'll have to do though." How does that sound to a youngster we're trying to take from Celtic, current champions and Champions League football this coming season?

I'll not look too much into the use of the word exciting in this case. The bigger concern is definitely around the details of the deal which has been discussed to death on here already.

He didn’t need to add an adjective in front of the words “ new left sided centre back”. Just leave it with those words alone, adding words like exciting is unnecessary and just puts added pressure on both himself and whoever the fuck the player is, Scales by the looks of it.

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

He didn’t need to add an adjective in front of the words “ new left sided centre back”. Just leave it with those words alone, adding words like exciting is unnecessary and just puts added pressure on both himself and whoever the fuck the player is, Scales by the looks of it.

If you'd had to pick Gallagher and Bates for 3 months you'd be excited about getting a new centre back too! 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Tord31 said:

hud on hud on. This yountster is 24 and has played about 60 football matches.

fucking hell celtic should be giving him away

174 matches in all competitions according to his wiki page.  Most of them in the Irish Premier.  Anyone got an idea what level that is, Scottish Championship?

One of the articles on the go insinuates Dermot Desmond bought him for Celtic because Shamrock Rovers were struggling financially and he happens to be a 25% shareholder in that club.

Could well be this guy turns out to be pretty good, but it sounds to me like we're signing a 24-year-old who has played most of his career a level or two below where we are now and aspire to be.

I'd be ok with this as long as it's not a loan, we're not paying anywhere near the £540k Celtic paid for him, and we've also got our eyes on a more experienced LCB for competition. 

On paper, Scales and Bates is not a CB pairing that fills me with confidence.

Best we can hope is a loan with option to buy. But it'll still stink a bit with it being a loan to begin with. I'd happy take him perm and give celtic a % of any sell on fee. But he isn't worth more than 450k atm.