Summer 2022 Transfer Window

2 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Very true loon, we can but hope.

I know it's exciting to be potentially joining our proud club but thought this excerpt from Football Scotland online was a bit much.....?

Aberdeen have reportedly scouted Norwegian striker Tobias Lauritsen.

The 24-year-old Odds Ballklub forward has come across manager Jim Goodwin's desk and the Irishman could sanction a swoop.

That's one way to get a contract

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, thurso said:

Maybe not but generally offer more money than another team and he will.

Not necessarily so, for anyone considering changing their job, not just a footballers, a whole raft of decisions take place. 

Yes pay will probably come top of those decisions....but lets say we offered him £1k a week more than a club in the English Championship/EFL1 based in the English midlands. Would an extra £150k over a 3 year contract be worth the hassle and costs of having to sell your present house and find a new one 400 miles away that you might have to sell again and move on again in 3 years time and where you may have no friends and family anywhere near, when you could stay exactly where you are and commute to your new club, albeit on a lower salary? Yes I'm sure some would say of course it is...but equally others might prefer to just to stay put and commute to a new club for a smaller salary but with no real upheaval to their current lifestyle.

17 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Not necessarily so, for anyone considering changing their job, not just a footballers, a whole raft of decisions take place. 

Yes pay will probably come top of those decisions....but lets say we offered him £1k a week more than a club in the English Championship/EFL1 based in the English midlands. Would an extra £150k over a 3 year contract be worth the hassle and costs of having to sell your present house and find a new one 400 miles away that you might have to sell again and move on again in 3 years time and where you may have no friends and family anywhere near, when you could stay exactly where you are and commute to your new club, albeit on a lower salary? Yes I'm sure some would say of course it is...but equally others might prefer to just to stay put and commute to a new club for a smaller salary but with no real upheaval to their current lifestyle.

Your making a lot of presumptions there 

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

I love this thread and its multiple arms. 

Any phycologists on here who can try and decipher the multiple personalities and accounts on show. 

?

Can anyone confirm if we can expect broom cupboard pictures today or even some good news? 

I love how you seem to try & come across as ‘exempt’ from the very thing you are trying to ridicule with such arrogance 

#obliviouswankstain

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I love how you seem to try & come across as ‘exempt’ from the very thing you are trying to ridicule with such arrogance 

#obliviouswankstain

Authority not arrogance. At least get it correct. 

Also "wank stain" how pathetic. Big boy throwing insults about on the internet. Macho. 

2 hours ago, minijc said:

I think Besuijen would be good in a more central role. 

Agreed - just depends on the formation though - if we go to a 4231 I think he could play as the "10". He's good out wide, but I sometimes feel he's too small - he's fast, but his legs are that short he rarely outpaces his opponent. However he has the technique and ability to unlock a defence, so a more central role might suit him.

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Has to be. Great talent.
Barron is taking the spotlight just now (and rightly so) but I think Duncan will eclipse both Barron and Ramsay in the near future, in regards to the next big thing.

I think you would be wrong?, Ramsay who could move shortly for ten million, won the SPL young player of the season award,(over bassey who looks to be a cracking player unfortunately)was in the top 20 European wiz kid lists, beating all sorts of unbelievable youths stats and just about to be signed by one of the best teams in the world at present, and your saying Duncan is going to be better?.no he’s not.

once in a generation talent Ramsay is, and your saying we have 2 of these in the same time scale?.oh well looking forward to another ten million next year then.

19 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

I think you would be wrong?, Ramsay who could move shortly for ten million, won the SPL young player of the season award,(over bassey who looks to be a cracking player unfortunately)was in the top 20 European wiz kid lists, beating all sorts of unbelievable youths stats and just about to be signed by one of the best teams in the world at present, and your saying Duncan is going to be better?.no he’s not.

once in a generation talent Ramsay is, and your saying we have 2 of these in the same time scale?.oh well looking forward to another ten million next year then.

Duncan is more attacking and if he catches the eye / lives up to expectations he could potentially be worth as much or more than Ramsay. If he is decent then he could be one of the answers to our front line or midfield. 

50 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Its subjective. Its an opinion.

And if Liverpool want to spunk £10m on Ramsay, good for them. The transfer fee is what we have told them what they need to pay, in order to release him from his contract, and is based on many things. Plus, he's a yr ahead of Duncan in terms of development.

Time will tell. I think Duncan will go on to do better things than Ramsay.

28 minutes ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

Be amazing to see a young player come through who we can build a team around rather than what happens at the moment.

Unlikely though sadly

It's not only unlikely it's never going to happen anymore. Money will be flashed at said players and they'll be off to line their pockets. 

How does this "model" of bringing through players, only to sell them on  after they've played a few games, work in the long term for the benefit of the Dons?

We take a portion of the sum from the sale and buy another player to replace the one being sold. The new player is surely of a worse standard than the home grown one being sold or the buying club would buy them instead.

Starting with Ryan Fraser, we've seen McKenna go, now Ramsay, potentially Barron and now Duncan is being touted for sale almost before he's played.

How does the manager put together a side, and keep them together for a few seasons until they "gel" as a team and are good enough to play attractive football and challenge at the top end of the league and win trophies? 

Tough ask.

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Its subjective. Its an opinion.

And if Liverpool want to spunk £10m on Ramsay, good for them. The transfer fee is what we have told them what they need to pay, in order to release him from his contract, and is based on many things. Plus, he's a yr ahead of Duncan in terms of development.

Time will tell. I think Duncan will go on to do better things than Ramsay.

That’s really pleasing to hear, youth system has played a blinder recently, I would say McKenna is a ten million+ defender, player of the year for him at forest as well, obviously Ramsay and Barron and now Duncan, is there not a big defender for us doing great in the under 21s as well?. 

10 minutes ago, Millerdon said:

How does this "model" of bringing through players, only to sell them on  after they've played a few games, work in the long term for the benefit of the Dons?

We take a portion of the sum from the sale and buy another player to replace the one being sold. The new player is surely of a worse standard than the home grown one being sold or the buying club would buy them instead.

Starting with Ryan Fraser, we've seen McKenna go, now Ramsay, potentially Barron and now Duncan is being touted for sale almost before he's played.

How does the manager put together a side, and keep them together for a few seasons until they "gel" as a team and are good enough to play attractive football and challenge at the top end of the league and win trophies? 

Tough ask.

Yule never win anyfin wi yoof 

19 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

That’s really pleasing to hear, youth system has played a blinder recently, I would say McKenna is a ten million+ defender, player of the year for him at forest as well, obviously Ramsay and Barron and now Duncan, is there not a big defender for us doing great in the under 21s as well?. 

The point is, just cos Ramsay will go for £10m doesn't mean he's a better player than Barron, if he only goes for £4m in a year or so's time. The fee will be dependant on how many clubs are after his signature, length remaining on his contract etc etc. I think Ramsay is a good player but better football observers than me clearly think he has massive potential. So, its all good, as they say

16 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

The point is, just cos Ramsay will go for £10m doesn't mean he's a better player than Barron, if he only goes for £4m in a year or so's time. The fee will be dependant on how many clubs are after his signature, length remaining on his contract etc etc. I think Ramsay is a good player but better football observers than me clearly think he has massive potential. So, its all good, as they say

The sale of Ramsay should mean we can afford to keep guys like Barron that bit longer. I think he's a generational talent also, and we need to get as many games out of him as possible- because he's a class player. 

Hoping he's sensible and signs an extension with a release clause. Works for all parties. 

We should be paying him a wage akin to that of a first team regular, if not guaranteed starter. 

Let's not fantasise yet about money for Barron, try and enjoy him etc. 

If the season has went differently every chance we'd be holding on to Ramsay, if say, we had European football post Christmas. Then there'd be no financial requirement to sell. 

46 minutes ago, Millerdon said:

Tough ask.

Not necessarily.

Right now any club who buys Ramsay (and it was the same when Bournemouth bought Fraser) is taking a punt on how good they might become. 

Looking at Ramsay in particular, he's nowhere near the Scotland squad as yet. That position might well change if he's at Liverpool.....and he might not even need to get a game there to do so. But as it stands, Stephen O' Donnell is ahead of him in the pecking order. Now there's no team that's even going to pay a quarter of what we are hoping to rake in for Ramsay to sign O'Donnell. Nevertheless right now O'Donnell is viewed correctly as the safer option. But he didn't make his breakthrough into the Scotland squad until he was 26. Not exactly a late developer as he was always a decent enough player but it doesn't necessarily follow that by selling Ramsay, we can't source a player costing a fraction of his selling price that won't prove to be at least equally as good

1 hour ago, Millerdon said:

Tough ask.

Well we've maybe messed up a bit with Barron as weve misjudged the timing of contracts.

Ideally we'd have him on a 4yr deal right now and be offering him a 5yr deal with a slice of the pie in return for staying 2-3 years in the team. 

As it is we've got a bit of a task on our hands to keep him longer than 12 months.

It shouldn't be a problem to build the team.

If Duncan (or anyone else) looks a superstar after 5 games then we keep him benched until he signs a 3 yr deal. If he proves he's a superstar after 30 games we get him on a 4-5 yr deal which he easily signs because we negotiate an exit strategy and a higher wage

One thing for sure - the Dons Machine creates wondrous players...a shit hot team on the park and maybes well give the terrific wee bastards reason to stay - then eventually money they deserve for being so wondrous. 

Then cups, titles, Europe, European trophies etcetcetc