Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

What would be classed as a big signing for us these days?   Not having a go, just don't think it's easy to define. 

Was Gallagher a big signing? Brown? Ramirez? 

And if we did make a 'big' signing first thing folk woukd be complaining about would be that we paid a transfer fee that was too high and/or the lad was getting paid how fucking much a week? 

I'd say Ramirez, Brown. 

Shinnie was a big signing. McLean a big signing. Hayes a big signings. Wilson a big signing. 

Granted they don't all work out but something that can get fans a bit excited. 

The three announced so far have put them on the back foot from the go. 

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Which one of Ramadani and Richardson are you classing as a lazy signing?

I’m not really counting either of them as lazy. But it’s very similar to previous regimes. Not necessarily a bad thing just wasn’t what was painted in previous interviews, potentially the Wycombe lad and Blackburn lad too. Didn’t we say the that the Scottish and English lower league markets were lazy in a previous interview? 

Lee scott recommended Richardson so got to trust the process. Lee seems to have a good background. 

Hoping Mowbray has plucked some quality young foreign attacking players out of nothing! 

4 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Shinnie was a big signing. McLean a big signing. Hayes a big signings. Wilson a big signing. 

Granted they don't all work out but something that can get fans a bit excited. 

The three announced so far have put them on the back foot from the go. 

Yeah that's similar to my take on what constitutes a biggish signing for us these days. 

Younger guys who have done consistently well at a same or similar level to us but still have the capacity to get better would be a 'big' signing for me. 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

What would be classed as a big signing for us these days?   Not having a go, just don't think it's easy to define. 

Was Gallagher a big signing? Brown? Ramirez? 

And if we did make a 'big' signing first thing folk woukd be complaining about would be that we paid a transfer fee that was too high and/or the lad was getting paid how fucking much a week? 

Over the last few seasons our "big" signings have tended to be shite. Gallagher, bryson, brown, Jet, longstaff, hernandez, kamberi etc

Whereas the players that nobody knows about have done well. Max Lowe, Cosgrove, ferguson, Christie, maddison etc

Would rather we took a chance on talented players that have a point to prove and a career to start, than overpaid pish

• Upvote 2
Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah that's similar to my take on what constitutes a biggish signing for us these days. 

Younger guys who have done consistently well at a same or similar level to us but still have the capacity to get better would be a 'big' signing for me. 

Yeah. I'd agree. 

Hasn't happened for a while though. 

3 minutes ago, Peedie1 said:

Over the last few seasons our "big" signings have tended to be shite. Gallagher, bryson, brown, Jet, longstaff, hernandez, kamberi etc

Whereas the players that nobody knows about have done well. Max Lowe, Cosgrove, ferguson, Christie, maddison etc

Would rather we took a chance on talented players that have a point to prove and a career to start, than overpaid pish

Jet?! Lolz

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, slippers said:

I’m not really counting either of them as lazy. But it’s very similar to previous regimes. Not necessarily a bad thing just wasn’t what was painted in previous interviews, potentially the Wycombe lad and Blackburn lad too. Didn’t we say the that the Scottish and English lower league markets were lazy in a previous interview? 

Lee scott recommended Richardson so got to trust the process. Lee seems to have a good background. 

Hoping Mowbray has plucked some quality young foreign attacking players out of nothing! 

Folk are taking Goodwin’s words a bit literally here though. He never said he wouldn't sign players from Scotland or England, just that we wouldn't rely on any one market. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Peedie1 said:

Yeah looking for players on a upward trajectory not players that have been good but lost their way. Or coming towards end of career so vastly overpaid. None of us expect every signing to make the grade but this season in particular if we sign 10 players we really need 6 or 7 to work out or we could fin ourselves in a bit of bother again. 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Folk are taking Goodwin’s words a bit literally here though. He never said he wouldn't sign players from Scotland or England, just that we wouldn't rely on any one market. 

I’m not having a go at goodwin here. It’s early days yet and can’t really evaluate  until the windows shut but if we end up 10 new signings and 6/7 of them are British players I’d suggest we have missed out on a number of target's.

31 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Can't say they are lazy. But on paper, not particularly ambitious. 

I figured we'd be doing these money ball type signings, loans, and bringing through some more youth, but surely we're going to announce some big ones?

I'm sure we'll sign some more interesting signings but I'm trying to temper my expectations.

It's starting to become apparent that even though we are actually doing a bit of scouting abroad now it's still going to take time to build up a squad of clever/well scouted/canny signings.

Even if we made 8 signings this window and we nail 5 of them, we'll still need to add several more good players in the next 2 windows to get to where we want to be.

And small as the squad is it still has a number of players we know aren't really good enough but we can't shift right now.

2 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Cause I think we could sign anyone and based on last season we just won't accept it, cause we have fallen down so far.

I think you're right. 

People are extremely suspicious of our recruitment now and there's a tendency to pick holes in every individual signing.  Even before we've seen any of them play. 

It's hard not to blame them though as I think we've had at least 4 windows in a row now which have been a shambles. 

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Who would we be happy with signing?

I'm obviously optimistic about the Albanian dude and Richardson may well be okay at our level. Scales... well I'll go with it. Pissed off as the club learn nothing from the past, but that's not Scales fault.

Who right now would we be realistically happy with signing? Would Ronan perk everyone up? Laryngitis or whatever his name is? Odemwingie?

Who?

Cause I think we could sign anyone and based on last season we just won't accept it, cause we have fallen down so far.

Ronan would get people excited. So would McGrath. Shinnie coming back would get folk excited. 

Non league full backs and relegated Hungarian league players, and loans from Celtic are never exciting anyone. 

Shite for the boy Scales cause he's starting on the back foot, through no fault of his own. 

10 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Who would we be happy with signing?

I'm obviously optimistic about the Albanian dude and Richardson may well be okay at our level. Scales... well I'll go with it. Pissed off as the club learn nothing from the past, but that's not Scales fault.

Who right now would we be realistically happy with signing? Would Ronan perk everyone up? Laryngitis or whatever his name is? Odemwingie?

Who?

Macedonian lad would be a good start I think. That Dutch lad attacking mid also looked interesting. 

38 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

What do you mean? Do you mean that signing Liam Scales as opposed to another left sided centre back makes us more likely to make the final. 

There are no left sided centre backs that would get us to the final, other than Liam Scales? 

I was talking about Christie and trying to give a balanced view. 

For all the negativity, which I totally understand, loans can work out in our favour too. Christie made such a difference in so many games for us. Without him you could argue we may not have got to the Scottish cup final.

You could also argue that had we put in a decent offer to buy him before Ceptic fannied about with John McGinn he would've been our player.

We've also had some other very good loans who we didn't sign permanently: Ward, Maddison, Lowe and Hector, some that we did Logan and McRorie and some that were loaned back to us McLean.

Just trying to point out the positives

24 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Ronan would get people excited. So would McGrath. Shinnie coming back would get folk excited. 

Non league full backs and relegated Hungarian league players, and loans from Celtic are never exciting anyone. 

Shite for the boy Scales cause he's starting on the back foot, through no fault of his own. 

Not sure ive seen enough from Ronan or McGrath that will excite me. Especially if hes costing 500k but people on here seem to rate him so obviously seen him more than me.

20 minutes ago, slippers said:

Macedonian lad would be a good start I think. That Dutch lad attacking mid also looked interesting. 

I know i'm prone to bladder leaks and err on the negative side at times, but i'd be absolutely delighted if we landed the Macedonian lad.

1 hour ago, shooftahmooftah said:

I’d rather have a player that’s 100 percent committed to the red and white of Aberdeen , and not running about the park dreaming with the song were all off to Dublin in the green in the green, and the team he’s going back to end of season, In this case green and white horizontal stripes.  

7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

What type of signing would excite you? 

Bryson was an "exciting signing."

Every signing deserves a fair crack of the whip before we write them off. But that is dons fans for you.

36 minutes ago, Daisy1903 said:

For all the negativity, which I totally understand, loans can work out in our favour too. Christie made such a difference in so many games for us. Without him you could argue we may not have got to the Scottish cup final.

Yeah but this argument is flawed because we lost the final. 

Sure we could have signed someone else and got beat in the semi, but it wouldn't make any difference because we lost the final anyway.

However we could have signed someone else and made the final and been able to play them which could have made the difference. 

15 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

What type of signing would excite you? 

The Macedonian lad or the Dutch AM that was spoke about in here a month or so back. I think to a degree any foreign player with a decent record would excite me. Anything in the Hernandez or Vicente mould would get me excited. 

8 minutes ago, slippers said:

The Macedonian lad or the Dutch AM that was spoke about in here a month or so back. I think to a degree any foreign player with a decent record would excite me. Anything in the Hernandez or Vicente mould would get me excited. 

I hope weve got a good chance of this macedonian lad.

im going on the conspiracy theory that ramadani is shite and we only signed him to smooth over the deal haha. Same club (who are not allowed foreigners in the lower league - so got the wage off and got a small fee) and the same agent who gets a wee kick back

37 minutes ago, Daisy1903 said:

You could also argue that had we put in a decent offer to buy him before Ceptic fannied about with John McGinn he would've been our player.

We've also had some other very good loans who we didn't sign permanently: Ward, Maddison, Lowe and Hector, some that we did Logan and McRorie and some that were loaned back to us McLean.

Just trying to point out the positives

Ward came from Liverpool-couldn’t buy him and left for Leicester for 12.5 million so couldn’t buy him

maddison was bought immediately after our loan for around 20 million- so couldn’t afford him

max Lowe joined Sheffield Utd immediately after our loan for 2 million-so couldn’t afford him

Hector cost 4 million 6 months after our loan to Chelsea-so couldn’t afford him

Are you surprised we couldn’t get full time deals for these players?

• Upvote 1

These signings have came in under the radar - no doubt properly scouted unlike last seasons debacle where Brown , Ramirez ( 1st part of season ) we’re any good . Baring Samuels all others were of known quality ( lack of ) Vinny was of an unknown quantity and I think will turn out to be a very shrewd signing 

where do people genuinely see the dons finishing this season ? 

no one knows how the 3 in the door so far will fare but I’d rather risk that , than take in journeymen 

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, slippers said:

Anything in the Hernandez or Vicente mould would get me excited. 

That's fair enough but Hernandez was an expensive flop and I'd say the jury is still out on Besuijen. 

Until we see them each play, and more importantly alongside each other in the same team, we won't really be able to judge whether we've built a good team or not.