Summer 2022 Transfer Window

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We won’t.

Goodwin has said in his Graham Hunter interview we’d play a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 but it would be a back 4. 

Good point - I forgot he'd said that. Just seems we're overloaded with defenders at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Gallagher moves on though.

Hoping that of those two options it's the 4231 we end up with. The 433 is too flat in the middle and leaves the central striker too isolated up front (well at least the way we played it last season anyway). Hopefully some signings further up the pitch soon.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:46 PM, Dave Bus said:

Squad would look decent if next additions were:

Siegrist

Scales

Stewart

Davenport

Ronan

Johnston

Miovski

Then selling/releasing Gallagher, Ferguson, Woods and McLennan

So siegrist gone elsewhere but scales and Stewart come in today. Quite a lot of murmurings about Davenport, wouldn’t mind him as the extra body in centre midfield. Ronan rumours getting stronger as well. Johnston unlikely but can’t think of any other left midfielders who’ve been linked, maybe not such a pressing issue seeing as we’ve got options there already and it being Ryan Duncan’s preferred position, who looks to be standing out in training. Then obviously there’s a few things going on in terms of the striker. Can see it all coming together, in a way…

3 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Didn’t see this before posting on the Stewart thread, but we do seem more suited now to a back 3 and wing backs.

Always thought McCrorie’s played best on the right side of a 3. This Stewart guy in the middle and Scales left side. Richardson and Hayes (MacKenzie isn’t good enough) the wing backs.

As others have said, Goodwin talked in detail about this during the Hunter interview. Stressed that whatever happens we will always play with a back 4. 

I do agree with you though - the hun isn’t a midfielder IMO. Would be much better on the right of three CBs.

6 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Ronan plays as a number 10 or wide right.

Why on earth do you like the idea of playing him as a deeper/holding midfielder? 

Played there initially for St Mirren, deeper lying play maker as such as McGrath played in behind the strikers. Then moved up to CAM when he was sold. 
Mcrorie holding (the Shinnie)

Ronan deep lying play maker/can push on (the McLean)

Barron CAM.(the Maddison) Could easily switch Barron n Ronan but watching Barron I think he’d cause big problems in advanced areas.

4 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

As others have said, Goodwin talked in detail about this during the Hunter interview. Stressed that whatever happens we will always play with a back 4. 

I do agree with you though - the hun isn’t a midfielder IMO. Would be much better on the right of three CBs.

If we are committed to a back 4, with the squad as it stands, Ross McCrorie wouldn’t get in my starting X1

Richardson Stewart Scales MacKenzie (groan). 
                         Ramadani.         
           Ferguson.              Barron 

With hopefully a couple of new signings for the front 3. 
And if Ferguson is sold, a more attacking player than McCrorie is bought (ideally, but unlikely to be, Ronan). 

24 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

If we are committed to a back 4, with the squad as it stands, Ross McCrorie wouldn’t get in my starting X1

Ramadani.         

And if Ferguson is sold, a more attacking player than McCrorie is bought (ideally, but unlikely to be, Ronan). 

It’s McCrorie’s downfall again. He can play in a few positions but not top drawer in any of them. However, Goodwin clearly likes him a lot.

Richardson seems to be in the Ramsay mould of being better going forward and not as strong defensively so wonder if Goodwin might alternate him and McCrorie at RB depending on who we are playing. 

I’m liking what I’m hearing about Stewart from Wycombe, could be an excellent signing alongside the ginger ramos.

bid been accepted for Norwegian guy as well.

7 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Good point - I forgot he'd said that. Just seems we're overloaded with defenders at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Gallagher moves on though.

Hoping that of those two options it's the 4231 we end up with. The 433 is too flat in the middle and leaves the central striker too isolated up front (well at least the way we played it last season anyway). Hopefully some signings further up the pitch soon.

We have options but I wouldn't say we're overloaded.

LB - MacKenzie, Hayes (I personally don't reqlly like seeing Hayes here)

LCB - Scales (Towler has been mentioned)

RCB - Stewart, Bates, Gallagher

RB - Richardson, McCrorie

Gallagher seems like the most obvious one to go from that list but I'd say the only one. We saw last season how bad our defence was and we had little to no option for changes. One or 2 injuries could change things dramatically.

15 hours ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Your nae getting him at left back according to JG

"He is coming in as a left sided centre half, which is the position I saw him play regularly for Shamrock Rovers, and the one we believe is his best position."

“He is aggressive, mobile, very comfortable on the ball and he has all the qualities you would want in a modern-day centre back.”

We need something at LB.

Mackenzie is not going to make it TBF, and Hayes is a sticking plaster.

Maybe he plans giving Richardson a shot there (apparently equally capable at LB) or we have something also lined up.
Major defensive overhaul like. Much needed.

15 hours ago, DandyDonside said:

Source came good. Scales deal finalised ahead of time. Definitely one more to be announced today from same source.

Good to see a genuine source of inside info finally rear it's head on here. ?

14 hours ago, Roberto said:

Scales is a good bit better than Montgomery in fairness.

Also fair, so am I. ?

8 hours ago, CCB III said:

Scotsman saying Lauristen wants to "keep options open" with Sparta Rotterdam interested. 

Eredivise is a better league so couldn't begrudge him that. 

Hopefully we put our foot down at some stage. 

Debatable. If it is, there's not much in it.

Sparta are also a mediocre side,* who have spent more time in the league below the top one of late. Bit of yo-yo ing going on there lately. Hearts stylee.

*acknowledgement of us finishing 10th last season - nae the norm tho innit.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Ramadani.         

Ramadani has been brought in as Ferguson's replacement.

1 hour ago, Rico1903 said:

It’s McCrorie’s downfall again. He can play in a few positions but not top drawer in any of them. However, Goodwin clearly likes him a lot.

Richardson seems to be in the Ramsay mould of being better going forward and not as strong defensively so wonder if Goodwin might alternate him and McCrorie at RB depending on who we are playing. 

Or depending on who we are playing, have McCrorie & Ramadani in midfield as a 4-2-3-1.

19 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

If Celtic have just brought in Benjamin Siegrist, then could Scott Bain become an option for us as goalkeeper? Has Zander Clark agreed a move anywhere, guess he'd be a stick on for United?

Another loan from our big team - woohoo!

8 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If they function as a effective defensive unit and are an improvement on a last year's defence then that will be just fine. 

Doesn't matter where they came from if they work together.  Most of the club's best signings came from fairly low level sources. 

But until we see them play together none of us really know the reality.  Fingers crossed. 

I do agree,  the defence needed sorted and good on them for prioritising it. Only one of the 3 I’m not happy with is Scales but solely for the reason that we should never be loaning players from Celtic. Think they all have potential to do well for us though.

Still hoping that the next signing will be someone a little more exciting though.

19 minutes ago, mainstandmoan said:

Ramadani has been brought in as Ferguson's replacement.

15 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

That surprises me. I was thinking Ramadani was a “sit in front of the back 4” type of player. 

As it stands, we need one attacking midfielder. If/when Ferguson goes, I’d say two were needed. 

13 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Or depending on who we are playing, have McCrorie & Ramadani in midfield as a 4-2-3-1.

Unless the other two forwards (on top of Besuijen) are going to be absolute superstars then we need to be playing only two of Ramadani, McCrorie, Ferguson, Barron and Polvara at a time.

If the midfield 3 consists of 3 of them we are still going to be too tippy tappy.

Have been clear for years.

Good teams have to be built on sound defensive foundations. 

JG appears to be attempting to address that,  with perhaps a goalkeeper yet to be secured.

Would suspect that attacking options will be our next recruitment announcements. 

Minijc will know doubt be updating us as and when appropriate. 

1 hour ago, Yorston Vasey said:

If Celtic have just brought in Benjamin Siegrist, then could Scott Bain become an option for us as goalkeeper? Has Zander Clark agreed a move anywhere, guess he'd be a stick on for United?

It would be extremely painful… for you.

(and every other Aberdeen fan)