Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Some are internationals, others have played English championship level. 

What is the equivalent of 'this level'? 

Two have played at Championship level, to any significant degree. I'm not writing anybody off, not saying they're bad players.

Just that there is risk.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, RedRichard said:

tbh Roberts as a MacLennan replacement, the Arsenal guy as LB reinforcement sound fine. But massively crucial the identity of the attacking midfielder...

Roberts would be the attacking midfielder. He has often played number 10 or attacking midfielder role as well as being able to play on wing. 

As i mentioned yesterday Ormonde-Ottewill tore an abductor muscle when on trial with Reading a few weeks ago and so is out injured for the next month. So would be really surprised if we see him signing as the left back when we want someone to play this weekend. Callum Elder from Hull might be more likely, needs to get games to get into the Aussie WC squad, lost his place in Hull team and looking to secure a move to get regular game time.

4 minutes ago, McginnAgain said:

Two have played at Championship level, to any significant degree. I'm not writing anybody off, not saying they're bad players.

Just that there is risk.

and that is the pond we swim in - we are not getting a new team of established players - there is always risk - at least one of the requirements hasn't been - recent career threatening injury with no evidence of recovery

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, McginnAgain said:

Just that there is risk.

There's always risk when signing players especially at our level where we can't afford top quality. Generally I'm happier with this window than previous recent ones but we still need 3 or 4 more players especially in the attacking areas and central midfield. And a LB too. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, McginnAgain said:

Kenny McLean wasn't a risk, neither was Jonny Hayes, neither was Adam Rooney.

Don't see what folk are struggling with here.

Ah the old hindsight argument 

Hayes had a shocking first season and Rooney had 17 in 66 at League 1 level before joining us.

Either way your above would suggest signing players from fellow SPFL teams isnt a risk.. 

Youve just plucked 3 signings that ended up working out as evidence of non risk signings

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Ah the old hindsight argument 

Hayes had a shocking first season and Rooney had 17 in 66 at League 1 level before joining us.

Either way your above would suggest signing players from fellow SPFL teams isnt a risk.. 

Youve just plucked 3 signings that ended up working out as evidence of non risk signings

What are some similar signings that didn't work out? Crocks aside.

Edit: two I can think of are Kennedy and Gallagher.

Kennedy played in a different role to the one where he found success at St Johnstone, and Gallagher off of a relatively poor season with Motherwell and asked to play progressive football which he was not capable of.

20 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

What realistic level do we sign players from and with what profile so that they aren't a "risk"? 

Precisely.

Declan Gallagher was objectively the least risky signing we could ever have made. Tried and tested at our level and captained a team better than ours in our own league just one season before and yet he was utter dross.

Literally every signing ever comes with a risk. People just need to calm down and trust the prawcess. At least give it one full season of the new recruitment setup being in place before prematurely shitting ourselves at every signing.

• Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, McginnAgain said:

Just that there is risk.

No you said all our signings shouldn't be young, unknown players.  Which they're not. 

I'd say there is an element of risk with all our signings this summer, especially as none of them have played regularly, if at all, in our division so we don't have a direct comparison. 

But if you don't want to take that risk at all then you end up with Curtis Main. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No you said all our signings shouldn't be young, unknown players.  Which they're not. 

I'd say there is an element of risk with all our signings this summer, especially as none of them have played regularly, if at all, in our division so we don't have a direct comparison. 

But if you don't want to take that risk at all then you end up with Curtis Main. 

We should be trying to sign the best young talent in our league which would be less of a risk. Didn’t do any harm when we signed shinnie and christie

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Who are the best young talents in our league? 

Not that I’m saying we will sign him but I think the boy Henderson (I think that’s his name they have a couple of youngsters that have looked decent) at st mirren looks decent every time Iv seen him 

Just now, thurso said:

Not that I’m saying we will sign him but I think the boy Henderson (I think that’s his name they have a couple of youngsters that have looked decent) at st mirren looks decent every time Iv seen him 

Ok that's one.  Can we afford him and would he want to come?  Would you be happy with him going straight into the first team?

What about all the other positions we've had to fill this summer?  Where are you getting them from in our league to fit your criteria?

37 minutes ago, McginnAgain said:

What are some similar signings that didn't work out? Crocks aside.

Edit: two I can think of are Kennedy and Gallagher.

Kennedy played in a different role to the one where he found success at St Johnstone, and Gallagher off of a relatively poor season with Motherwell and asked to play progressive football which he was not capable of.

JET, Brown, Bates, May, Main, Bryson, Kamberi

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Roberto said:

And yet here you are still going on about it?

Guessing it was 1988 or when I was 7... neither of which I mentioned. The story certainly made its mark on you.

Told you, it was a stand out post for how bad it was. Said with such conviction too. Really thought folk on here would give a shit about your haiku ?

1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Roberts would be the attacking midfielder. He has often played number 10 or attacking midfielder role as well as being able to play on wing. 

As i mentioned yesterday Ormonde-Ottewill tore an abductor muscle when on trial with Reading a few weeks ago and so is out injured for the next month. So would be really surprised if we see him signing as the left back when we want someone to play this weekend. Callum Elder from Hull might be more likely, needs to get games to get into the Aussie WC squad, lost his place in Hull team and looking to secure a move to get regular game time.

Ta but Roberts is the attacking player, not the attacking midfielder we are after - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/cal-roberts-set-aberdeen-transfer-27570801

15 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Ok that's one.  Can we afford him and would he want to come?  Would you be happy with him going straight into the first team?

What about all the other positions we've had to fill this summer?  Where are you getting them from in our league to fit your criteria?

Well to answer your questions. I’d guess so. No idea. Yes. 

It’s not my criteria I just commented on we shouldn’t be discarding our league and still be going after young ones in our league. I basically butted into your comments to someone else ?