Summer 2022 Transfer Window

3 minutes ago, thurso said:

If he’s playing 433 with mccrorie in defence he will shoe horn hayes or roberts in there with Ramadani sitting deep if he has to, maybe even vini in there as with the amount of attacking players in the squad they will all have to get in some how 

vini and Robert’s sitting in the midfield 3 of a 4-3-3 is murder and we will get fucked in a bad way. You need more defensive minded players in the middle of the park for that formation to work. 

3 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Don't think Roberts will play in the 2 if that's what you mean.

He's a winger/attacker by sounds of it.

Predominantly yes but sure I read he can play in centre mid to but I know nothing about him so just waiting to see how he fits into the team  

2 minutes ago, Footballs coming Rome said:

vini and Robert’s sitting in the midfield 3 of a 4-3-3 is murder and we will get fucked in a bad way. You need more defensive minded players in the middle of the park for that formation to work. 

In a 433 you don’t have 3 defensive midfielders sitting. One sitting others more box to box 

1 minute ago, Footballs coming Rome said:

I think we will be more likely to try and be a more attacking side and there may be games where McCrorie and Ramadani are expected to sit and protect the defence while the others bomb forward but it may well lead to some very high scoring games.

4 minutes ago, Chester Don said:

I tell you we are looking an altogether different proposition for prospective targets now after the summer work of the club.  To outside observers we are genuinely getting stuff done, with a manager who is unequivocal about what he does, and more importantly doesn’t want.   This is a good thing.  Quality attracts quality and I can genuinely see a very pleasing season ahead of us.   Bloody excited actually. 

Agreed. Also having better attackers will improve our defence and vice versa. Training must have been easy for our defenders against only Ramirez. 

9 minutes ago, thurso said:

If he’s playing 433 with mccrorie in defence he will shoe horn hayes or roberts in there with Ramadani sitting deep if he has to, maybe even vini in there as with the amount of attacking players in the squad they will all have to get in some how 

Nae probs. 

Absolute guarantee we'll bring in another midfielder imo but let's just wait and see 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Nae probs. 

Absolute guarantee we'll bring in another midfielder imo but let's just wait and see 

If we do and he’s in the team ahead of Barron or even polvara he better be an exceptional player that will really excite the fans.
And if he’s that good I can’t wait 

8 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

I think we will be more likely to try and be a more attacking side and there may be games where McCrorie and Ramadani are expected to sit and protect the defence while the others bomb forward but it may well lead to some very high scoring games.

Yeah in a 4-2-3-1 not a 4-3-3 consisting of 5 attackers and one holding midfielder like I was replying to before. 

4 minutes ago, thurso said:

If we do and he’s in the team ahead of Barron or even polvara he better be an exceptional player that will really excite the fans.
And if he’s that good I can’t wait 

I'd expect a more attacking central midfielder as the other 4 can cover the sitting positions in a 2 but less suited to taking the ball on the half turn and running at defences. 

That's how Goodwin used McGrath and Ronan to link midfield with attack and it feels like we're lacking that type at the moment.  Roberts might be able to do it, we'll have to wait and see. Most of the clips I've seen he seems to be in a role like we saw Hedges in, coming off the right. 

Polvara could use a loan this year, even for half a season. 

11 minutes ago, thurso said:

Predominantly yes but sure I read he can play in centre mid to but I know nothing about him so just waiting to see how he fits into the team  

I only know what I've read since we signed him but it sounds like he's best used as an inverted winger.

He's also 5'8" if that helps.

I can't quite see him as a CM, maybe can play in behind the striker though.

9 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Hancock apparently started his career as a central midfielder - looks to me like he could fill in there if necessary.

What we're lacking is a McInnes style utility man who can play every position across defence and midfield very badly - the likes of O'Connor, Vyner, Ojo etc

Ojo couldnt play centre half, or right back for that matter, he was a total liability there. Ojo was shite.

49 minutes ago, thurso said:

Think I’m just old school but number 6 should be a centre half 

I hear you, and all hail Willie Miller's number 6 shirt, but in a later era 5&6 as centre half means 4 in midfield, which makes me think of Brian O'Neil in midfield, along with Aitken paying something like £750k for him only for him to be absolute garbage, then Alex Fucking Miller selling him about a year later for £250k. (five minute pause while I desperately try to forget the trauma of the Miller years, our subsequent spiral into debt and years without a trophy, the meaninglessness of life, the cold dark emptiness of the universe........ )  

52 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

I hear you, and all hail Willie Miller's number 6 shirt, but in a later era 5&6 as centre half means 4 in midfield, which makes me think of Brian O'Neil in midfield, along with Aitken paying something like £750k for him only for him to be absolute garbage, then Alex Fucking Miller selling him about a year later for £250k. (five minute pause while I desperately try to forget the trauma of the Miller years, our subsequent spiral into debt and years without a trophy, the meaninglessness of life, the cold dark emptiness of the universe........ )  

AKA the Stewart Milne era 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

when I think of number 4 I forget about Brian O’Neil and remember the great Brian grant 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Helmet said:

I only know what I've read since we signed him but it sounds like he's best used as an inverted winger.

He's also 5'8" if that helps.

I can't quite see him as a CM, maybe can play in behind the striker though.

Goodwin said himself when he signed he could play of the right, number 10 or attacking centre midfield which to me indicates he could be the attacking midfielder in the 3, as number 10 is in behind the striker or if you will the middle of the 3 in a 4231 

7 hours ago, thurso said:

Goodwin said himself when he signed he could play of the right, number 10 or attacking centre midfield which to me indicates he could be the attacking midfielder in the 3, as number 10 is in behind the striker or if you will the middle of the 3 in a 4231 

Exactly.

So not a central midfielder who'll vie for a spot in the 2 when playing 4231 then.

8 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Hancock apparently started his career as a central midfielder - looks to me like he could fill in there if necessary.

What we're lacking is a McInnes style utility man who can play every position across defence and midfield very badly - the likes of O'Connor, Vyner, Ojo etc

The utility man!

Some of McInnes teams felt like they were all utility men.

2 hours ago, TerryMcDermott said:

Finished a gig.in the quarter. Spoke to five people. Not a single one has any opinion on David Bates leaving Aberdeen FC. It’s that ambivalence that suggest that keeping would be a mistake. Granted, not a single person knows what an Aberdeen is but that’s not the take away here. Bin him. 

What do you play?

8 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Was there a manager spunked more cash away than those maroon haired cunt?

O Neil.

Tzvetanov.

Kiriakov,

Gillies, 

Walker,

Bernard.

I will give him credit for Windass

8 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Was there a manager spunked more cash away than those maroon haired cunt?

O Neil.

Tzvetanov.

Kiriakov,

Gillies, 

Walker,

Bernard.

I will give him credit for Windass