Summer 2022 Transfer Window

19 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Fuck off, you joking me? after the abuse McCrorie got at the end of last season, and he has played well for us, McLennan has been out and out pish. But aye he is someone’s son, Ramirez abuse?, aye someone’s son as well. 
but aye no need for the vitriol. Sleep walking hypocrisy at its best here. But but McLennans from Aberdeen?, and has stolen a wage aff us for years.

cringe

?

You do love the occasional unbridled outburst.

Entertaining.

On McLennan, I don't think anyone with such a strange body length to leg length ratio can ever be any good at football.
FFS, his back is about 5 feet long to his leg length of 11 or 12 inches.

It's jist nae richt.

8 hours ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

Poofter alert

I do love a cushioned footstool.

• Haha 1

This thread does produce some extended sequences of totally shite posts, with little or no reference to the thread title.

Approaching 14,000 posts we'd be lucky if 10% referred to rumours. 

That in mind reckon that one of our "surplus to requirement " players will end up loaned or sold to Fleetwood or Hartlepool before the window is shut. 

Also don't think that big Jim isn't finished recruiting yet but may require to offload a couple of more players off the payroll before completely concluding our summer's business. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

?

You do love the occasional unbridled outburst.

Entertaining.

On McLennan, I don't think anyone with such a strange body length to leg length ratio can ever be any good at football.
FFS, his back is about 5 feet long to his leg length of 11 or 12 inches.

It's jist nae richt.

I do love a cushioned footstool.

Ooops, no again ???

agreed, get slender man to fuck??

At the moment Bates and McLennan are Aberdeen players. I hope with better players round them, as we have had some crap playing for us for the last 3 years, they might come on a game. I cannot see McLennan getting a game as the standard of forward at the club has significantly improved this season. Bates does not seem to be seen as good enough by the manager and whether that is because he thinks his wage could be spent better or he is just not good enough. Bates will be on a contract that he will not want to see reduced so might be the same situation as Gallagher.

I can only say that after struggling to watch Aberdeen last season for the first time in 50 odd years, I am so much more positive about the season ahead. Goodwin was who I wanted appointed as manager when Glass left as we always got a tough game from his side when he was in opposition. He seems a manager who does not put up with any crap but also knows how to manage and coach his players. Apart from Considine when he left I have not heard to much decent from players against him which is good. It looks like we are in our best position for about 5 years and enjoying, so far, what I am watching. I hope this is the new Don we have been waiting for. COYR.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, stevew8863 said:

our best position for about 5 years

Steady.  I get the enthusiasm, but we're only 2 games into the season and we've been beaten pretty comfortably by Celtic and hammered a 10 man St Mirren. Give it a few weeks before making any wild predictions! 

I am hoping we're at least up there with McInnes last few seasons in terms of points and position, but lets not get carried away just yet. 5 seasons ago we finished 2nd in the league, then 4th 3 seasons running, Goodwin has a lot to live upto in terms of league finishes after the mess of last season

15 hours ago, MattTheTank said:

Any hint of signings from Goodwins interview today?

Goodwin again stated he was still keen to bring in one more player. He also revealed he had held discussions with players in the existing squad, regarding the possibility of moving on.

Goodwin insists he is prepared to bide his time in order to strengthen his squad. He added: “I don’t expect anything to happen before the weekend, either in or out. “In terms of the one more we have to get in. We’re still talking to a couple of players and there’s still plenty of time as far as I’m concerned.”

Goodwin revealed in the wake of last weekend’s 4-1 victory over St Mirren he was keen to trim his squad, and had held discussions with players who he will allow to depart if they can find a new club. The Dons boss says the ball is in the court of those players, insisting they are equally entitled to stay and provide cover in his squad.

Goodwin said: “I have had discussions with two or three of the squad. They know the situation, that their game time this season might be a little limited and that the club aren’t going to stand in their way if they can find an opportunity out there to play more regularly.

“The ball is in the players’ court in terms of those two or three. “If they stay then that’s fine. It gives me an extra two or three players to choose from if we get injuries or suspensions. Any manager will tell you they want as big and as strong as squad as they can get. “But, of course, we have a budget we need to work to as well. I don’t want anybody here who’s not going to be happy to here. That’s the bottom line.”

“The players here are under contract and their contracts will be honoured by the club. There’s no getting away from that. “As a senior player, I’ve been there myself where you want to be playing regularly and you’re not getting the opportunities. It can become very frustrating. “Before that frustration settles in and the window shuts, I thought it was appropriate to let those players know and give them time. I’m led to believe their representatives are working in the background to try and find them something.

“At least that way, if the window closes and they’re not in my plans, they can’t come and bang my door down and say I never told them. That’s the way I work and I think that’s the best way to do it.”

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Goodwin again stated he was still keen to bring in one more player. He also revealed he had held discussions with players in the existing squad, regarding the possibility of moving on.

Goodwin insists he is prepared to bide his time in order to strengthen his squad. He added: “I don’t expect anything to happen before the weekend, either in or out. “In terms of the one more we have to get in. We’re still talking to a couple of players and there’s still plenty of time as far as I’m concerned.”

Goodwin revealed in the wake of last weekend’s 4-1 victory over St Mirren he was keen to trim his squad, and had held discussions with players who he will allow to depart if they can find a new club. The Dons boss says the ball is in the court of those players, insisting they are equally entitled to stay and provide cover in his squad.

Goodwin said: “I have had discussions with two or three of the squad. They know the situation, that their game time this season might be a little limited and that the club aren’t going to stand in their way if they can find an opportunity out there to play more regularly.

“The ball is in the players’ court in terms of those two or three. “If they stay then that’s fine. It gives me an extra two or three players to choose from if we get injuries or suspensions. Any manager will tell you they want as big and as strong as squad as they can get. “But, of course, we have a budget we need to work to as well. I don’t want anybody here who’s not going to be happy to here. That’s the bottom line.”

“The players here are under contract and their contracts will be honoured by the club. There’s no getting away from that. “As a senior player, I’ve been there myself where you want to be playing regularly and you’re not getting the opportunities. It can become very frustrating. “Before that frustration settles in and the window shuts, I thought it was appropriate to let those players know and give them time. I’m led to believe their representatives are working in the background to try and find them something.

“At least that way, if the window closes and they’re not in my plans, they can’t come and bang my door down and say I never told them. That’s the way I work and I think that’s the best way to do it.”

I love this man.

2 hours ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Get in there Jim.  No pussyfooting around with Jimbo, the Silver  Fox.

On 8/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, Helmet said:

Football fans are greedy aren't we?

The club have pulled off a remarkable overhaul of the squad and yet we're all hoping for a bit more and a bit more until we hit perfection.

If we managed what you've listed above we'll have pulled off surely the greatest transfer window in the history of Scottish football.

How big a helmet do you look now?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Guest milne_afc
1 hour ago, Awayfromhomered said:

We need eleven new players before next weekend. 

He just needs to use players in their strongest position. It’s a good squad but will take time to knit together. If they’re losing 3 goals at home to dross after Santa’s birthday it’ll be time to worry 

4 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

He just needs to use players in their strongest position. It’s a good squad but will take time to knit together. If they’re losing 3 goals at home to dross after Santa’s birthday it’ll be time to worry 

Aye, I know really. I'm still pretty optimistic & reckon we'll do ok.

Just pissed off with today, it'll pass ?

11 minutes ago, Awayfromhomered said:

Aye, I know really. I'm still pretty optimistic & reckon we'll do ok.

Just pissed off with today, it'll pass ?

To be honest, all today has done is generate more doubt about some of the recruitment. 
We might be ok once we get the team gelled & the defence sorted… but there are a few of players I’m wondering about.

Roos, Richardson & Duk namely. 
Stewart will be ok if he sticks to defending. Leave the passing to other players. 

Early days so I’m not writing any of the new players off, but we have spent £700k on Richardson & Duk?  

12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

To be honest, all today has done is generate more doubt about some of the recruitment. 
We might be ok once we get the team gelled & the defence sorted… but there are a few of players I’m wondering about.

Stewart will be ok if he sticks to defending. Leave the passing to other players. 

Early days so I’m not writing any of the new players off, but we have spent £700k on Richardson & Duk?  

Yeah, Roos for sure seems wobbly as fuck with crosses & I'm not entirely convinced with the other two, still trying to give them the benefit of doubt, but not great so far.

Been impressed with Coulson so far. Should make a difference getting him back.

6 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Duk didn’t cost us anything. He was a free transfer, but Benfica have retained a huge sell on clause. 

After watching yesterday in full glory I've changed my mind a wee bit. 

We need a right back urgently. One that is better defensively. Especially with the type of wide forwards we've signed,  none of which have any interest in helping out the defence. Richardson can be back up. 

We need another centre back so we don't have to keep shifting midfielders into defence all the time. 

We need another midfielder.  There are more games we'll need to play with 3 in the middle than we think. 

All three need to be guys who can use their heads and have a bit of a track record.  We're a bit ott on punts in the squad at the moment.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

After watching yesterday in full glory I've changed my mind a wee bit. 

We need a right back urgently. One that is better defensively. Especially with the type of wide forwards we've signed,  none of which have any interest in helping out the defence. Richardson can be back up. 

We need another centre back so we don't have to keep shifting midfielders into defence all the time. 

We need another midfielder.  There are more games we'll need to play with 3 in the middle than we think. 

All three need to be guys who can use their heads and have a bit of a track record.  We're a bit ott on punts in the squad at the moment.

Agreed. 

Create space in the squad by getting Bates, McLennan & Watkins off the wage bill. 
Loan Ryan Duncan out too.