Summer 2022 Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Redmist1903 said:

The boy MvGinn who Motherwell have signed from Hibs and Steven O Donnel are both names that have been scoffed at here in the past. I'm at the stage right now where I'd gladly take either for a season at right back

We could always look further afield.

But, using those examples above, the “steady Eddie” right back in the league, IMO, is the lad Devlin at Livi. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sigh said:

Scott Allan on a six month contract with a view to longer term if it works out.

Or on a pay per play basis at first, then offer contract if it works.

Its no like he will get any better offers, wouldn't cost that much at first either, worth a punt.

Jesus Christ, just no. 

Has he EVER looked good ANYWHERE for any period of time? 

The dictionary definition of flatter to deceive. 

19 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

But, using those examples above, the “steady Eddie” right back in the league, IMO, is the lad Devlin at Livi. 

Devlin is a walking red card. A proper dirty bastard. 

Hopefully we can have 1 in this week. Really need to bin the idea of switching about the defence and midfield for 1 injury as we'll be doing it constantly at the rate players are getting injured. I see Ronan was on the bench for Wolves again on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

What we are after really is a guy that can cover both LB & LCB and a guy that can cover both RB & RCB but probably asking too much.

We have McCrorie who can cover RB and RCB, and Bates who can cover RCB. Can’t see Stewart not playing unless he’s injured tbh.

We need a LCB for when Scales has to cover at LB, which I suspect will be frequently given Coulson and MacKenzie’s injury records so far.

Just now, DelMonte said:

Miovski was literally one on one with the keeper. Shows your mindset more than anything.

He seemed to have done the hardest part too. Impossible to say how the dynamic of the game might have changed had that gone in. 

He looks a really good player, but you would hope a good player finishes those more often than not 

1 hour ago, JojoJuan said:

He seemed to have done the hardest part too. Impossible to say how the dynamic of the game might have changed had that gone in. 

He looks a really good player, but you would hope a good player finishes those more often than not 

Well maybe,  but against all the odds we did manage to get ourselves in front and then fucked it up. 

People are being accused of knee jerking at the defeat.  Its not so much the defeat,  but the manner of the defeat. It was an utterly pathetic performance from us. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Scott Allan has said himself he needs to play regularly to get up to fitness and find form. No point in us signing him as he wouldn't play often enough to actually get to the level where he would make a difference. 

I thought that was a strange thing for Allan to say, basically “ I will be shit for the first 6 games I play and then I should be alright”.

Who’s going to want to take a gamble on that?

“Oh, and by the way, I’m 30, have continually underachieved, have a heart condition and diabetes”.

I’ll bet he goes to Killie…

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Miovski was literally one on one with the keeper. Shows your mindset more than anything.

Okay we had 3 chances. scoring 2 out of 3 is pretty efficient for me. Mindset - literally realistic. 
I think we’ll have a decent season, not writing us off by any means  but won’t cover up a start which shows problems. Teething problems. It is what it is. 

4 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Time to bring back Shay Logan. Or what about the boy Grimmer, was he not saying recently he'd love to come back up to Aberdeen at some point - he's experienced.

29 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Wolves spending £40m on a midfielder thus pushing Ronan further down the pecking order….

Not unless he’s foreign, then it pushes him closer to being a squad player, given the rules in England for having domestic players within your squad which wolves struggles with, they had signed two decent players last year and couldn’t register them due to this and they got shipped out on loan.(patrick cutrone was one)

he’s no coming

9 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

We have McCrorie who can cover RB and RCB, and Bates who can cover RCB. Can’t see Stewart not playing unless he’s injured tbh.

We need a LCB for when Scales has to cover at LB, which I suspect will be frequently given Coulson and MacKenzie’s injury records so far.

Taking McCrorie out of midfield regularly is an issue. Bates will be gone as he's being frozen out.

Instead of switching Scales to LB, why not take in someone who can cover both LCB & LB leaving Scales in LCB in all games except the Celtic ones.

4 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Not unless he’s foreign, then it pushes him closer to being a squad player, given the rules in England for having domestic players within your squad which wolves struggles with, they had signed two decent players last year and couldn’t register them due to this and they got shipped out on loan.(patrick cutrone was one)

he’s no coming

We kept the number 7 shirt vacant for a long time I suspect for Ronan or some marque signing. The fact Morris has been given the number 7 shirt now gives me the sinking feeling that there will be no Ronan or marque player coming in.

1 hour ago, Redtaz2 said:

He has the more physical presence and aggression but cannot seem to grasp( sic) the fact the continually pulling and grabbing opposing players shirts has been costly for us and him 

On the other side of the coin, as long as the raw material exists, a decent coaching setup improves players. 
I’ve yet to see the current coaching setup improve any of our players, bar possibly Barron, and that’s very subjective as he was already well down that road before they current coaches arrived.

2 hours ago, Roberto said:

Any more or less costly than being unable to mark at corners or letting the ball run through your legs/cut a ball out in your own box?

Bates is 25 and potentially sellable. Stewart is 29 and isn’t.

I’m no fan of either as both have their issues but imo, Bates looks more fixable.

All of this is entirely irrelevant as I just don’t see our captain getting dropped.

An interesting few weeks ahead…

McCrorie has been every bit as bad at centre half for Aberdeen as Bates has. 

Dunno why folk just seem to give him a pass all the time cause it looks like he's trying. 

In fact, I can't recall a time we've kept a clean sheet with RMC at CB...maybe United first home game of last season? 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Roberto said:

More than likely, I try and forget alot about last season. I had it in back of my mind McCrorie started RB then went to CB.

Last season didn't happen IMO.

And this season might not either. 

I only recognise the seasons 1970, 1976, 1980-86, 1990, 1995 and 2014.

None of the others ever happened as far as I'm concerned. 

11 minutes ago, Weir on the wing said:

Apologies, hadn’t read previous posts.

Ok, but Bates is right footed and should really only be played in Stewart’s position, as stated by JG at the beginning of the season.

RMC also right footed and not a great distributor. The same problem presents itself if he plays there. 

I'd be looking for a left footed centre half on loan who can supplement the squad 

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Roberto said:

More than likely, I try and forget alot about last season. I had it in back of my mind McCrorie started RB then went to CB.

Last season didn't happen IMO.

And this season might not either

Think we'll do better but there'll be a lot of ups and downs. 

Read a Goodwin interview earlier where he said we gave a "fairly good account of ourselves" at Celtic park. Delusional. Could've been 4/5 as we were giving away chances for fun. 

Also mentioned how we strolled the group stages, but that's categorically what is expected. 

In the opening stages v St Mirren, prior to the red card, we looked similar to what we did on Saturday. 

If we don't have enough to beat saints I worry. 

McInnes turfed the squad his first full season and we managed to get third spot and win a cup. So, I don't buy that it can't work soon with good management. 

• Upvote 1