Summer 2022 Transfer Window

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yes it is. 

Let's say you 'scout' 3 strikers and they all knock you back. 

You have the choice to take in your 4th choice on a 2 year deal but you know he's not the quality you really want. Or you can bring in a loan who is better than your 4th choice for 6 months to tide you over to the next window. 

You'd take the better player on loan and wait for the next chance to bring in someone on a permanent that met your expectations. 

The club are never going to be in a position where it's "lets sign a shit player or take in a loan player that could be good" every signing is signed to add quality to the squad however it doesn't work out that way.  if a player is the clubs 4th choice on their list, he'll tick several boxes, there's no guarantee that the loan signing of a player that is better will work out, look at Samuels he was a striker, we played him on the wing and he wasn't good enough but we didn't know it would turn out that way.

1 minute ago, minijc said:

The club are never going to be in a position where it's "lets sign a shit player or take in a loan player that could be good" every signing is signed to add quality to the squad however it doesn't work out that way.  if a player is the clubs 4th choice on their list, he'll tick several boxes, there's no guarantee that the loan signing of a player that is better will work out, look at Samuels he was a striker, we played him on the wing and he wasn't good enough but we didn't know it would turn out that way.

That's just shit recruitment though. 

We should have brought in a winger on loan to play on the wing and not a striker to play on the wing. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Ward, Logan, Maddison, Hector, Lowe, Christie were all excellent loans. 

Nae reason why we couldn't get a few more of that calibre again. 

And there were a few more that were acceptable and improved our first team. 

The rest, admittedly, were eminently forgettable. 

It’s been a few seasons since they were signed but nearly every other loan we had were squad fillers and pretty crap. 

Just now, thurso said:

It’s been a few seasons since they were signed but nearly every other loan we had were squad fillers and pretty crap. 

Nae bother thurso. You've already decided that if we bring in any loans they're going to be shit so there's little point in having any further discussion about it. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That's just shit recruitment though. 

We should have brought in a winger on loan to play on the wing and not a striker to play on the wing. 

I agree but I'll guess that a suitable winger wasn't available, I think you have to be very, very lucky to land a Madison type player, they won't come around often and when it comes to the loan market you're competing with a lot of other teams.  Longstaff for example, he had a host of teams wanting him, I'd say we were very unfortunate for him to turn out as bad as he did but that's the risk with loans, sometimes the players hearts just aren't in it.

5 minutes ago, minijc said:

I agree but I'll guess that a suitable winger wasn't available, I think you have to be very, very lucky to land a Madison type player, they won't come around often and when it comes to the loan market you're competing with a lot of other teams.  Longstaff for example, he had a host of teams wanting him, I'd say we were very unfortunate for him to turn out as bad as he did but that's the risk with loans, sometimes the players hearts just aren't in it.

Samuels was the best available option in the whole of British football that we could have brought in to play as a winger on loan? 

I'm nae having that. 

8 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

I suspect that we have a few deals done and just waiting to be formalised going by the way Goodwin was speaking.

Haven’t seen his full interview but he certainly gave the impression that they were just waiting on the CR deal to be confirmed before signings being announced