blowupsheep

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Just now, thurso said:

Not very often have we taken in a Lowe or christie tho. Clubs don’t generally give us their best young players. 

Ward, Logan, Maddison, Hector, Lowe, Christie were all excellent loans. 

Nae reason why we couldn't get a few more of that calibre again. 

And there were a few more that were acceptable and improved our first team. 

The rest, admittedly, were eminently forgettable. 

Has the ship sailed on us signing PCA’s with players? Usually one or two of them announced towards the end of the previous season or soon after it finishes.

2 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Has the ship sailed on us signing PCA’s with players? Usually one or two of them announced towards the end of the previous season or soon after it finishes.

@minijc

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I doubt the club sign players on loan knowing they'll be shit, some will work out well, others will be poor.

Just now, minijc said:

I doubt the club sign players on loan knowing they'll be shit, some will work out well, others will be poor.

Aye but there's some you just know will be good, others more of a punt 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye but there's some you just know will be good, others more of a punt 

Yes but it's always a gamble, I'd rather we moved away from the loan market. 

Just now, minijc said:

Aye me too. I just think getting the amount of players we need on permanent deals in one window of the requisite quality is a big ask. 

8 minutes ago, minijc said:

Loans are fine to cover positions that we're short on due to injury etc. But not to supplement the starting 11 unless they are far better than we otherwise could have afforded, i.e. James Maddison

10 minutes ago, minijc said:

I totally get your point but isn’t it as much of a gamble signing a relatively unknown on a 2-3 year deal?  At least with a loan you can punt them back to their club after a few months.   I think the problem is the range of player we can afford is always going to have a number of clubs after them.  We may be able to match wages but other clubs will be a bigger attraction to them. The loan market although far from ideal, is one where we are always going to be looking at.  Hopefully we can do this that includes options to buy Of they are actually any good. 

8 minutes ago, Kiriakov33 said:

I totally get your point but isn’t it as much of a gamble signing a relatively unknown on a 2-3 year deal?  At least with a loan you can punt them back to their club after a few months.   I think the problem is the range of player we can afford is always going to have a number of clubs after them.  We may be able to match wages but other clubs will be a bigger attraction to them. The loan market although far from ideal, is one where we are always going to be looking at.  Hopefully we can do this that includes options to buy Of they are actually any good. 

In a way yeah but this is where scouting comes in, I'd say if done properly there's far less risk than there is with a loan as more often than not the majority of players available for loans can't cut it and are in last chance saloon.  I imagine we've paid good fees for our recent loans, I would even guess that we paid a decent chunk to get Madison, I know we had to pay to get Christie, I'd rather we used the money to buy our own players instead of developing others.

48 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

JG says 2 or 3 more will leave on top of 12 or so released 

Interesting comment from him there.

Had 30 players to pick from first game. 12 gone so far and expects 2 or 3 more to go this window.

Anyone crunching the numbers to work out if Ramsay is in the 12 or the 2-3.

Surely we have hope that Mclennan could still be off.  Jimbob is teasing us

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

In a way yeah but this is where scouting comes in, I'd say if done properly there's far less risk than there is with a loan as more often than not the majority of players available for loans can't cut it and are in last chance saloon.  I imagine we've paid good fees for our recent loans, I would even guess that we paid a decent chunk to get Madison, I know we had to pay to get Christie, I'd rather we used the money to buy our own players instead of developing others.

Everyone would agree they'd rather have permanent players. 

The question is would you rather have a shit permanent player or a good loan player if that was the choice? 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The question is would you rather have a shit permanent player or a good loan player if that was the choice? 

No loan players from the Glasgow arse cheeks ever.

• Like 1

It's never a choice though is it, I'd say the club got unlucky not to have one of last seasons loans kick on and add something to the side.

1 minute ago, minijc said:

It's never a choice though is it, I'd say the club got unlucky not to have one of last seasons loans kick on and add something to the side.

Unlucky because they were shit?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Interesting comment from him there.

Had 30 players to pick from first game. 12 gone so far and expects 2 or 3 more to go this window.

Anyone crunching the numbers to work out if Ramsay is in the 12 or the 2-3.

Out of that 30 he had to pick from i'm assuming that a lot of them were youngsters that had never played a first team game before?

Since he arrived we have released / sold  / sent back from loan 10 players that made first team appearances last season and we currently have 14 left, that 14 includes Ramirez who may or not already be gone.

So i'd guess he actually had 24 first team players to pick from in his first game and 6 untried youngsters.

I'd imagine the 2 or 3 more to go this window may include Ramirez and Ferguson.

Edited by zeroisgod76

Yes it is. 

Let's say you 'scout' 3 strikers and they all knock you back. 

You have the choice to take in your 4th choice on a 2 year deal but you know he's not the quality you really want. Or you can bring in a loan who is better than your 4th choice for 6 months to tide you over to the next window. 

You'd take the better player on loan and wait for the next chance to bring in someone on a permanent that met your expectations. 

4 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

That’s Callum Hendry left St Johnstone…..

For Salford 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yes it is. 

Let's say you 'scout' 3 strikers and they all knock you back. 

You have the choice to take in your 4th choice on a 2 year deal but you know he's not the quality you really want. Or you can bring in a loan who is better than your 4th choice for 6 months to tide you over to the next window. 

You'd take the better player on loan and wait for the next chance to bring in someone on a permanent that met your expectations. 

The club are never going to be in a position where it's "lets sign a shit player or take in a loan player that could be good" every signing is signed to add quality to the squad however it doesn't work out that way.  if a player is the clubs 4th choice on their list, he'll tick several boxes, there's no guarantee that the loan signing of a player that is better will work out, look at Samuels he was a striker, we played him on the wing and he wasn't good enough but we didn't know it would turn out that way.

The club are never going to be in a position where it's "lets sign a shit player or take in a loan player that could be good" every signing is signed to add quality to the squad however it doesn't work out that way.  if a player is the clubs 4th choice on their list, he'll tick several boxes, there's no guarantee that the loan signing of a player that is better will work out, look at Samuels he was a striker, we played him on the wing and he wasn't good enough but we didn't know it would turn out that way.

That's just shit recruitment though. 

We should have brought in a winger on loan to play on the wing and not a striker to play on the wing. 

7 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

That’s Callum Hendry left St Johnstone…..

Space for Mclennan at St Johnstone. ....

• Upvote 1

We should have brought in a winger on loan to play on the wing and not a striker to play on the wing. 

It was desperation.

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It’s been a few seasons since they were signed but nearly every other loan we had were squad fillers and pretty crap. 

Just now, thurso said:

It’s been a few seasons since they were signed but nearly every other loan we had were squad fillers and pretty crap. 

Nae bother thurso. You've already decided that if we bring in any loans they're going to be shit so there's little point in having any further discussion about it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I agree but I'll guess that a suitable winger wasn't available, I think you have to be very, very lucky to land a Madison type player, they won't come around often and when it comes to the loan market you're competing with a lot of other teams.  Longstaff for example, he had a host of teams wanting him, I'd say we were very unfortunate for him to turn out as bad as he did but that's the risk with loans, sometimes the players hearts just aren't in it.

4 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

Space for Mclennan at St Johnstone. ....

They’ve just resigned Drey Wright but hopefully Consi has put in a good word about our Connor.