Summer 2022 Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

Not a very good scale then but I am unaware of which scale you are using - is it simply a football pant pishing scale or can it apply to other events eg military action/coffee prices etc - can you give details of the scale we are using to assess your statement to see if it is valid or off the scale too - if indeed that statement could applied to the scale?

Using the term “pant pishing” is right up there with “Todders” & “footie” on the arsehole scale.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

So you think we performed well against Celtic?

There's a veritable cacophony of possibilities that sit between "shite" and "well", we weren't either. We were certainly below average against Celtic but obviously we played significantly worse against Motherwell as even they managed to score more against us than Celtic did on their own patch.

I repeat, we've had ONE shite performance and the nappies are full.

2 hours ago, 20two20 said:

We've had 1 (ONE) shite game and you lot are wanting to overhaul the squad again.

Is this your collective first season ever watching football? Teams have shit games all the time, especially when there's that many new faces in.

Gies peace. At least wait until we're out of August to soil yourselves.

We were efficient in the League Cup group stages. No more than that, but with a brand new side, acceptable, with the obvious proviso about the quality of opponent we were facing

We lost 2-0 v Celtic. Going on 8-0 if they had converted half the chances they made. A bit of a let off but again, with a new side and facing them at Parkhead, an acceptable, if all too common outcome. However the first signs of defensive frailty were starting to show facing a side who were obviously several classes above those we had already played.

Now yes we pumped St Mirren 4-1 at home but they played around 70 minutes with 10 men and up till the point Gallagher got sent off, were arguably the better side. Scoring 4 was decent but really we should be able to prevent a team, considered one of our weaker top flight opponents, from scoring against us when they are a man down. ( The penalty they got was dubious, but Hayes gave the ref a decision to make and with us having had one ourselves, resulting in them losing a player into the bargain, he might have been more willing to award a softish penalty under the circumstances)

And the Motherwell shitshow speaks for itself.

I commend your optimism but there's enough evidence so far that any of us that are concerned about how this season might pan out shouldn't automatically be dismissed as pant pishers. We all hope that Goodwin sorts things out but we were all optimistic last season after our first match against United.....and we all know all too well how that turned out

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

There's a veritable cacophony of possibilities that sit between "shite" and "well", we weren't either. We were certainly below average against Celtic but obviously we played significantly worse against Motherwell as even they managed to score more against us than Celtic did on their own patch.

I repeat, we've had ONE shite performance and the nappies are full.

Or in other words, 1 decent performance from 3 which came against 10 men?

8 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

We were efficient in the League Cup group stages. No more than that, but with a brand new side, acceptable, with the obvious proviso about the quality of opponent we were facing

We lost 2-0 v Celtic. Going on 8-0 if they had converted half the chances they made. A bit of a let off but again, with a new side and facing them at Parkhead, an acceptable, if all too common outcome. However the first signs of defensive frailty were starting to show facing a side who were obviously several classes above those we had already played.

Now yes we pumped St Mirren 4-1 at home but they played around 70 minutes with 10 men and up till the point Gallagher got sent off, were arguably the better side. Scoring 4 was decent but really we should be able to prevent a team, considered one of our weaker top flight opponents, from scoring against us when they are a man down. ( The penalty they got was dubious, but Hayes gave the ref a decision to make and with us having had one ourselves, resulting in them losing a player into the bargain, he might have been more willing to award a softish penalty under the circumstances)

I commend your optimism but there's enough evidence so far that any of us that are concerned about how this season might pan out shouldn't automatically be dismissed as pant pishers. We all hope that Goodwin sorts things out but we were all optimistic last season after our first match against United.....and we all know all too well how that turned out

At no point in time did I say not to be concerned, I simply implied that maybe it would be a good idea to reserve it until we've seen more of the season. Some of the panic on here is incredibly premature and exaggerated. 

I'd argue that in most seasons there will be teams that start very well then taper off and teams that start wobbly and build in to the season, if I don't see evidence of the latter and signs for optimism by GW8 THEN I'll profusely shit myself.

I grew up watching some really fucking dreadful Aberdeen teams and I genuinely don't believe we'll be saying that about this team come December.

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

In other words its too small a sample size from a league perspective

Let's see how the next few weeks go. That'll give us a better indicator as to how the players/team are settling in

This is what I meant to say but my fingers got too happy typing.

37 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Not really debating any of your points but can we stop this 2-0 going on 8-0 stuff, heard a lot of it at the weekend (“Motherwell could have had much more” was said a lot” as if we don’t miss chances too.

4 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

We’ve played 7 competitive games. If Ramirez gets praised for his performances against part time teams then so do the rest of the side and Goodwin then surely? 

As a team we did what was required against lower league opposition in the group stages. Ramirez wasn't spectacular in those games, neither was anyone else. But against the standard of opposition we did what was expected of us and reasonably comfortably, praise where it is due.

In the league against teams more of our level we have been found wanting (apart from 70 minutes against 10 man St Mirren). But it is still early days and hopefully we can show a better level of performance in the next couple of games. We need to as Saturday just wasn't good enough.

31 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

Otherwise at the moment not very encouraging watching the new million pound plus squads last 3 performances.   What’s a million pounds equal too .  A Hans gillhaus  ,  30 plus years ago. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Oh for a player with the ability of Hans Gillhaus. Would be the best player in this league. We certainly wouldn't get a player of his ability from PSV Eindhoven for £650k these days.

For the last 2 or 3 signings can we just take in some steady eddies thats played fitba at a decent level FFS? No more young loons.

Sign a right back that can defend, a centre half and a decent attacking midfielder please.

Bates is quite clearly done and Watkins will be as well away if he is not going to get a game. Seems the manager prefers to throw on one of his new fast headless chickens when chasing a game instead of someone with a bit of football ability and nous.

5 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

For the last 2 or 3 signings can we just take in some steady eddies thats played fitba at a decent level FFS? No more young loons.

Scott Allan on a six month contract with a view to longer term if it works out.

Or on a pay per play basis at first, then offer contract if it works.

Its no like he will get any better offers, wouldn't cost that much at first either, worth a punt.

We may have kept clean sheets, but our defence had plenty ropey moments in the league cup games v part timers.

Professional footballers of the level we employ (or should employ…) shouldn’t be struggling at that level regardless of whether they’ve played together much or not.

On what I’ve seen so far, we need a starting RB and another left sided CB for when Scales gets shifted to LB. Hopefully get Bates out the door as well somehow.

5 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

We may have kept clean sheets, but our defence had plenty ropey moments in the league cup games v part timers.

Professional footballers of the level we employ (or should employ…) shouldn’t be struggling at that level regardless of whether they’ve played together much or not.

On what I’ve seen so far, we need a starting RB and another left sided CB for when Scales gets shifted to LB. Hopefully get Bates out the door as well somehow.

What we are after really is a guy that can cover both LB & LCB and a guy that can cover both RB & RCB but probably asking too much.

7 minutes ago, sigh said:

Its no like he will get any better offers, wouldn't cost that much at first either, worth a punt.

Scott Allan has said himself he needs to play regularly to get up to fitness and find form. No point in us signing him as he wouldn't play often enough to actually get to the level where he would make a difference. 

7 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Peterhead could easily have scored a couple against us as could have Raith. I seem to remember Hayes clearing one of the line against Dumbarton after Roos flapped at a corner kick. Our defence has looked as shaky as it did last season.

15 minutes ago, sigh said:

The boy MvGinn who Motherwell have signed from Hibs and Steven O Donnel are both names that have been scoffed at here in the past. I'm at the stage right now where I'd gladly take either for a season at right back

4 hours ago, 20two20 said:

We've had 1 (ONE) shite game and you lot are wanting to overhaul the squad again.

Is this your collective first season ever watching football? Teams have shit games all the time, especially when there's that many new faces in.

Gies peace. At least wait until we're out of August to soil yourselves.

It’s not one bad game.

Celtic strolled us not leaving second gear, should scored more.

St Mirren got in behind 2 or 3 times far too easily before the red. 

Absolutely awful v Motherwell.

Cup games v Lower league dross mean nowt to show how we will be, this is the real stuff starting and so far, after 3 games it’s not convincing. People just being realistic. Hopefully will get much better but let’s not pretend the league starts not been poor.

• Upvote 3
55 minutes ago, ThomohawkKid said:

It’s not one bad game.

Celtic strolled us not leaving second gear, should scored more.

St Mirren got in behind 2 or 3 times far too easily before the red. 

Absolutely awful v Motherwell.

Cup games v Lower league dross mean nowt to show how we will be, this is the real stuff starting and so far, after 3 games it’s not convincing. People just being realistic. Hopefully will get much better but let’s not pretend the league starts not been poor.

It is one game really.

We’d have been looking for & expecting 6 points from the first three. 
We managed 3.

So three behind where we should be.  
One game.

• Upvote 1