Summer 2022 Transfer Window

The squad needs an even bigger overhaul than it did last summer which is pretty embarrassing considering we signed about 10 players. And that’s before you factor in needing to replace Ramsay, Ferguson or Ramirez if they go.

Ramsay, Bates, McCrorie, Ferguson, Barron, Vicente and Ramirez are the only players I’d be interested in keeping around for next season. Maybe Hayes and McGeouch as well. The rest can go. 

31 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

The squad needs an even bigger overhaul than it did last summer which is pretty embarrassing considering we signed about 10 players. And that’s before you factor in needing to replace Ramsay, Ferguson or Ramirez if they go.

Ramsay, Bates, McCrorie, Ferguson, Barron, Vicente and Ramirez are the only players I’d be interested in keeping around for next season. Maybe Hayes and McGeouch as well. The rest can go. 

You wonder about Lewis if the rumours about Zander Clark are/were true.

Ramsay & Ferguson likely sold

Brown? St Mirren? He must be in doubt.

Ojo, McGeouch, Jenks will be gone 

JET? He’ll be paid off.

Like you say, Jim Goodwin & Mowbray/Gunn will be very busy from May to August (I hope!) 

• Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

JET? He’ll be paid off.

Like you say, Jim Goodwin & Mowbray/Gunn will be very busy from May to August (I hope!) 

Can only hope they are.

It’s a shame to see Lewis as a complete shadow of his former self. Was easily the best keeper in the league for a few seasons, now one of the worst.

He’s still under contract for 2 years as well?

I’m not sure Ferguson will attract much interest in summer. Not at a price we’d be willing to sell at anyway. He’s been pish this season apart from scoring pens. 

40 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Can only hope they are.

It’s a shame to see Lewis as a complete shadow of his former self. Was easily the best keeper in the league for a few seasons, now one of the worst.

He’s still under contract for 2 years as well?

I’m not sure Ferguson will attract much interest in summer. Not at a price we’d be willing to sell at anyway. He’s been pish this season apart from scoring pens. 

Think if we get anything £2m+ of an offer for LF, we’ll bite. 

53 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Think if we get anything £2m+ of an offer for LF, we’ll bite. 

I agree, beyond this summer his value starts to decrease  as his contract begins to run down. If we keep him till next January then i doubt we'd even get £1.5 million for him. 

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I agree, beyond this summer his value starts to decrease  as his contract begins to run down. If we keep him till next January then i doubt we'd even get £1.5 million for him. 

Any reason scrooge mcduck cant pony up enough cash to make LF happy with an extension? Is it really about playing down south or is it just money?

6 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

JET? He’ll be paid off.

Gunn should have went out the glass door. 

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, PondHopper said:

Any reason scrooge mcduck cant pony up enough cash to make LF happy with an extension? Is it really about playing down south or is it just money?

There would be no harm in trying but even at such shite as Millwall, Coventry or the likes in the middle of the Championship he'd get money we probably wouldn't (not couldn't) match.

But as a Scotland squad member, he would probably be looking for a better club than those, either top end Championship or lower EPL, and there he would get money we couldn't match. He and his agent (and his old man) know this and so just have to face facts.....he's leaving at some point and won't be extending

26 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

There would be no harm in trying but even at such shite as Millwall, Coventry or the likes in the middle of the Championship he'd get money we probably wouldn't (not couldn't) match.

But as a Scotland squad member, he would probably be looking for a better club than those, either top end Championship or lower EPL, and there he would get money we couldn't match. He and his agent (and his old man) know this and so just have to face facts.....he's leaving at some point and won't be extending

I’ve no issue with him leaving.

A good chunk of our transfer strategy should be about signing young players with potential and selling them on for big fees after they’ve played 100 games or whatever for us.

Lewis Ferguson & Scott McKenna are two good examples to give young players on the stepping stone we could be. 

We shouldn’t want young players who want to just plod along at Aberdeen for 10 years. 
Goodwin said the exact same thing at St Mirren recently.

Ferguson cost £220k I think, & we should make 10 times that 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We shouldn’t want young players who want to just plod along at Aberdeen for 10 years. 

Same applies to our managers.  Preferably should have realistic ambitions to move to a higher level , whether that’s in terms of football standards, profile , prestige or finance

2 minutes ago, redone said:

Same applies to our managers.  Preferably should have realistic ambitions to move to a higher level , whether that’s in terms of football standards, profile , prestige or finance

Yip it’s much better if we’re looking for a new manager because he’s moved on to bigger & better things. 

FFS, the last time that happened was 1986. 

If big Jim continues signing players from the island of Ireland he will not go far wrong. Ronan, Shaughnessy and McCarthy are consistently amongst St Mirren's best performers all season.

A couple of them + 1 or 2 up and coming others will surely go some way to replacing the deadwood in the squad and improve us come the summer.

Ireland over the Atlanta connection all day long.

It stood us in good stead with Hayes, McGinn and Rooney in the past and will do so again in the future.

15 hours ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

Byrne, O'Connor, Forrester, Gallagher the list goes on.

Some fucking murderous players inna, it has to be said 

O'Connor was a bellend but he was better than Bates and Gallagher by a distance. 

Probably better in midfield than Brown, McGeouch, Ojo have been too.

Obviously I have to defend Byrne too. Even though he was shite and I'm not sure what to say to defend him.

18 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’ve no issue with him leaving.

A good chunk of our transfer strategy should be about signing young players with potential and selling them on for big fees after they’ve played 100 games or whatever for us.

Lewis Ferguson & Scott McKenna are two good examples to give young players on the stepping stone we could be. 

Ferguson cost £220k I think, & we should make 10 times that 

Where I get lost (and I know AFC didnt spend a lot on him) is letting them go for just 2mil.

All I'm saying is maybe LF ought to just be paid to stay. Or if he really is that good and needs to move on maybe the bar ought to be a bit higher than 2 million. 

So one decent deal did go down in the winter. For AFC to actually compete they need a couple of those deals, plus they need to do better in the loan market, and continue to develop the baron types. 

Maybe LF is better off helping AFC to group stage football vs screwing around in the championship. If McChicken wasnt all talk that type of pitch could work on some.

Just let the midget go coach at st mirren and shave a couple scrub salaries. Offer that scratch to LF in the summer, and tell him now he can afford to wait for more serious clubs to offer.

Then when a 4m offer from burnley comes in pull the trigger. 

What are we saying he'll get 15k to 20k offers a week? 

1 minute ago, PondHopper said:

Where I get lost (and I know AFC didnt spend a lot on him) is letting them go for just 2mil.

All I'm saying is maybe LF ought to just be paid to stay. Or if he really is that good and needs to move on maybe the bar ought to be a bit higher than 2 million. 

So one decent deal did go down in the winter. For AFC to actually compete they need a couple of those deals, plus they need to do better in the loan market, and continue to develop the barron types. 

Maybe LF is better off helping AFC to group stage football vs screwing around in the championship. If McChicken wasnt all talk that type of pitch could work on some.

Just let the midget go coach at st mirren and shave a couple scrub salaries. Offer that scratch to LF in the summer, and tell him now he can afford to wait for more serious clubs to offer.

Then when a 4m offer from burnley comes in pull the trigger. 

What are we saying he'll get 15k to 20k offers a week? 

If there are no offers of over £2m then we have no choice.

We are running out of time to get a decent fee for him & in my opinion, summer is the time to do it. 

He wants to leave as well so no point in keeping him here when he’s not 100% happy.